Being called "Mama" by random people

Old March 29th 06, 12:56 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Default Being called "Mama" by random people

Or not so random. These are co-workers, guys I know well. They say it
by way of greeting as in "Hey Mama! How ya doin?" and acknowledging the
pregnancy. For the most part I think it's kind of sweet, but it always
throws be a bit. They never called me that pre-preg, the most they'd
say, if not my name, was "Doc", so calling someone 'mama' is not a
normal part of their lingo.

Is this perhaps a cultural (Texan) thing? Common elsewhere?

Old March 29th 06, 01:08 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

cjra wrote:
Or not so random. These are co-workers, guys I know well. They say it
by way of greeting as in "Hey Mama! How ya doin?" and acknowledging the
pregnancy. For the most part I think it's kind of sweet, but it always
throws be a bit. They never called me that pre-preg, the most they'd
say, if not my name, was "Doc", so calling someone 'mama' is not a
normal part of their lingo.

Is this perhaps a cultural (Texan) thing? Common elsewhere?

I think it crops up in places, and I think it's just
a pregnancy thing. They just say it because they're focusing
on the pregnancy. After there's no bump to remind them of
it, they'll likely stop doing it. Have you seen them around
other pregnant women? They might well do the same thing
for that.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old March 29th 06, 01:10 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

"cjra" wrote in message
oups.com...
Or not so random. These are co-workers, guys I know well. They say it
by way of greeting as in "Hey Mama! How ya doin?" and acknowledging the
pregnancy. For the most part I think it's kind of sweet, but it always
throws be a bit. They never called me that pre-preg, the most they'd
say, if not my name, was "Doc", so calling someone 'mama' is not a
normal part of their lingo.

Is this perhaps a cultural (Texan) thing? Common elsewhere?

I'm in Atlantic Canada, and I got this at work too. Mama or Mommy were
pretty common. Fortunately they never accompanied it with a belly pat!

KD

Old March 29th 06, 01:19 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

KD wrote:
"cjra" wrote in message
oups.com...
Or not so random. These are co-workers, guys I know well. They say it
by way of greeting as in "Hey Mama! How ya doin?" and acknowledging the
pregnancy. For the most part I think it's kind of sweet, but it always
throws be a bit. They never called me that pre-preg, the most they'd
say, if not my name, was "Doc", so calling someone 'mama' is not a
normal part of their lingo.

Is this perhaps a cultural (Texan) thing? Common elsewhere?

I'm in Atlantic Canada, and I got this at work too. Mama or Mommy were
pretty common. Fortunately they never accompanied it with a belly pat!

Now that would freak me out!

I guess I've heard things along the lines of "how's the mom-to-be?" and
it doesn't phase me. But every time they call me "mama" I do a double
take and wonder whom they're speaking to ;-)

Old March 29th 06, 03:24 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

cjra wrote:
Or not so random. These are co-workers, guys I know well. They say it
by way of greeting as in "Hey Mama! How ya doin?" and acknowledging the
pregnancy. For the most part I think it's kind of sweet, but it always
throws be a bit. They never called me that pre-preg, the most they'd
say, if not my name, was "Doc", so calling someone 'mama' is not a
normal part of their lingo.

Is this perhaps a cultural (Texan) thing? Common elsewhere?

I got "Hey, little Mama!" from at least a few people here in AZ,
including from relatives from NE.

I'm 5'-10", and although thin, haven't been called "little" since, oh,
3rd grade.

--
C, mama to three year old nursling

Old March 29th 06, 04:29 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

"cjra" wrote in message
oups.com...
Or not so random. These are co-workers, guys I know well. They say it
by way of greeting as in "Hey Mama! How ya doin?" and acknowledging the
pregnancy. For the most part I think it's kind of sweet, but it always
throws be a bit. They never called me that pre-preg, the most they'd
say, if not my name, was "Doc", so calling someone 'mama' is not a
normal part of their lingo.

Is this perhaps a cultural (Texan) thing? Common elsewhere?

A work thing I think.
Exactly the same thing happened to me before I had DD ... my nickname
changed from "the doc" to "Mum" or "hey preggo". My co-workers were great
and I actually quite liked them giving me a new nickname/s. I'm in
Australia FWIW.
I'm with a new working group in the same department now, but I don't think
they're into the nicknames so much....
Amanda

Old March 29th 06, 01:55 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Wait until you have the baby. Then you can look forward to being
called mom by the doctors and nurses at the pediatricians office. At
least that is what happens here. I hate it. It's just laziness to not
bother to find out my name and use it.

Leslie

Old March 29th 06, 02:39 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Leslie wrote:
Wait until you have the baby. Then you can look forward to being
called mom by the doctors and nurses at the pediatricians office. At
least that is what happens here. I hate it. It's just laziness to not
bother to find out my name and use it.

Actually, in that setting I completely understand and expect it. It's
simply easier and it IS in direct relation to an issue involving the
kid/being a mom. OTOH, in my workplace my 'mom' status is kind of
irrelevant. Not that it bothers me, it's just out of place.

Old March 29th 06, 04:23 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

I see the difference. I suspect the people at your office think it's a
"cute" thing to do. I agree with others that it will likely stop once
the visible evidence of your motherhood disappears!

Leslie

Old March 29th 06, 06:08 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Just thought I'd chime in and say "me too". I'm in Northern Nevada.
It annoys me a bit although the people that include a tummy pat are the
ones that really irritate me. Excuse me, just because I'm pregnant
doesn't mean everything I do is now a "mama" thing...I'm still a person
besides that and hey, why would you think it now gives you free reign
to enter my personal space! Argh!

Cristi :]

A test Mark Probert Kids Health 0 January 13th 06 03:51 PM
Rant: Over indulgent parents strike again Jon Walters General 1142 August 25th 05 03:27 PM
misc.kids FAQ on Prenatal Testing - Overview and Personal Stories [email protected] Info and FAQ's 0 November 28th 04 05:16 AM
misc.kids FAQ on Prenatal Testing - Overview and Personal Stories [email protected] Pregnancy 0 November 28th 04 05:16 AM
misc.kids FAQ on Prenatal Testing - Overview and Personal Stories [email protected] Info and FAQ's 0 June 28th 04 07:42 PM