Antidepressants continue to be linked to suicidal thoughts

Old March 15th 05, 10:08 PM
julie in Boise

Default Antidepressants continue to be linked to suicidal thoughts

My own 2cents. I have been on antidepressants 3 times, once on a really
old one that didn't help, didn't make it worse, and twice on Celexa. On
the drugs I had no suicidal thoughts and a much improved quality of
life (except difficulty achieving orgasm, which the depression also
caused.) So this is not a problem for everyone and the benefits can be
very great for some users. This said, the first time I used Celexa, I
also did some work with a psychologist. I would highly recommend
combining drugs with talk therapy of some sort, I think that extra help
can make a huge difference, adn if you do have suicidal thoughts, there
is someone supportive to help. These drugs saved my marraige and my
sanity. Be careful, but don't avoid these drugs if you really need
them.

Julie

wrote:
Antidepressants continue to be linked to suicidal thoughts
Studies continue to pour in linking antidepressants of all types to

increase
suicidal thoughts in patients with depression. For at least two

years,
researchers have found that children and adolescents on depression

pills tend to
have more thoughts of suicide, and now scientists are discovering the

same trend
among adults as well. Be sure to read the related article, [a popular
anti-inflammatory drug*] only the beginning; antidepressants and

statin drugs
are medication timebombs.

- Staff writers

News summary:
Source:

Studies continue to raise questions about the risk of suicide in

patients
treated with antidepressant drugs.
In 2004, the FDA concluded that antidepressant medications (search)

increase the
risk of suicidal thinking and behavior in children and adolescents

with
depression (search).
A new review bolsters claims of an increased risk of suicidal

behavior in people
taking the most popular antidepressants, but a second trial found no

increase in
such risk among depressed patients taking selective-serotonin

reuptake
inhibitors (search) (SSRIs).
A third study showed the risk of suicidal behavior to be no greater

in patients
taking SSRIs than in those taking an older class of antidepressants.
Untreated moderate-to-severe depression in adults appears to pose a

bigger
suicide risk than SSRI use.
In one of the newly published studies, researchers assessed the risk

of
self-harm and suicide among 146,000 patients taking either SSRIs or

tricyclic
antidepressants.
They found that the SSRIs and tricyclics, such as Elavil, Norpramin,

or Pamelor,
had similar risk profiles with regard to suicide and self-harm in

adults.
"Our finding that SSRIs and tricyclic antidepressants (search) have a

similar
risk profile with respect to self-harm and nonfatal self-harm is

reassuring,"
researcher Carlos Martinez, PhD, and colleagues from the United

Kingdom's
Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency wrote.
Researcher Dean Fergusson, PhD, and colleagues from Canada's Ottawa

Health
Research Institute analyzed 700 studies involving more than 87,000

patients.

Printable version of this summary
See more articles on:
antidepressants
suicide
SAMe
Receive Google news alerts on:
antidepressants
suicide
SAMe

Related Articles:
Why antidepressant drugs and statin drugs are ticking health care

timebombs...

Children doped up on antidepressants have a 180 percent increase in

suicidal
tendencies...

Antidepressant drugs warning! Paxil, [a popular antidepressant drug*]

and others
proven to increase risk of suicide by 400%...

The FDA / Big Pharma antidepressant drug cover up is finally being

exposed!

Here's the real reason why new drugs are created and hyped to

customers: it's
all about profit, not good health...

New risks found when pregnant women take antidepressant drugs...