Big honkin' fibroid

Old November 21st 05, 05:09 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Default Big honkin' fibroid

Hi folks:

Anybody else have this going on? This thing in my upper belly that I
thought was part of the baby is apparently a large fibroid on the
outside of my uterus, on top of it.

At least this is on the outside of the uterus, not invading baby space.
But does it ever feel weird, DH can feel it from the outside of my
belly. I am a bit concerned about its size, it feels really big to me!
And it doesn't stay in one spot either, which seems very strange.
Sometimes it's to the left, sometimes under my belly button, sometimes
I can't feel it there at all.

As my pregnancy progresses, I think I'm going to have an extra bulge
there!

KD
EDD March 25, 2006

Old November 21st 05, 05:30 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

never heard of one outside the uterus, has it swollen up with pregnancy?
what does your doctor say?

Anne

Old November 21st 05, 05:36 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

I didn't even know I had it until my last u/s. I thought it was part of
the baby I was feeling, although in retrospect I realize that it was
too high to be a baby part.

I'm pretty sure it has expanded during pregnancy, as I never felt it
there before and nobody else knew it was there. It was just discovered
as they looked at the baby, even my doc hadn't felt it before. But I
had a regular doc's appointment a few days after the u/s and she could
certainly feel it then.

My doc hasn't gotten the u/s reports back from the hospital yet, so she
didn't have much to say about it. The fact that it is outside the
uterus is apparently good news for the baby, in that it won't be
invading the baby's space. Neither the doc at the hospital nor my
regular doctor thought it was anything to worry about. They do grow
with pregnancy, but shrink back again after you give birth and your
hormone levels are normal again.

Apparently outside the uterus is not uncommon.

KD

Old November 21st 05, 06:19 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

"KD" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi folks:

Anybody else have this going on? This thing in my upper belly that I
thought was part of the baby is apparently a large fibroid on the
outside of my uterus, on top of it.

At least this is on the outside of the uterus, not invading baby space.
But does it ever feel weird, DH can feel it from the outside of my
belly. I am a bit concerned about its size, it feels really big to me!
And it doesn't stay in one spot either, which seems very strange.
Sometimes it's to the left, sometimes under my belly button, sometimes
I can't feel it there at all.

As my pregnancy progresses, I think I'm going to have an extra bulge
there!

KD
EDD March 25, 2006

I had a very similar situation. I felt it very plainly early on. Mine grew
until is was about 10 cm x 10 cm at aprrox 20 wks and then it stopped
growing thankfully. Mine was in a top outside position and did not interfere
with the pregnancy or delivery at all. But it caused some ache afterwards
and still does a year later sometimes....

--
JennL
DS 06/26/98

Old November 21st 05, 07:01 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

ModernMiko wrote:
"KD" wrote in message
[...]

I don't know what the actual size is - I'm sure they measured during
the u/s, but I didn't think to ask at the time. It *feels* big to me,
like the size of my fist, but that might be just me and my
non-medically trained hands feeling it. It doesn't exactly hurt, but
feels as though it sort of pulls sometimes.

KD

Old November 21st 05, 08:18 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

There are some possible problems with fibroids in pregnancy. Sometimes
they can outgrow their blood supply, which causes a lot of pain -
sometimes bad enough to require hospitalization for heavy-duty pain
management. The ones I've seen go this route were a good deal larger
than what you are describing. If they are large and located in the
lower part of the uterus, or within the muscle, sometimes they can
interfere with labor progress - sounds like you are in the clear on
that score. There are other complications that you see quoted in
textbooks, like impinging on the baby's space and causing malformations
due to pressure or restriction of space or movement, but this is very
rare and I have never known of an actual case of it happening. Also,
this is even less likely with a fibroid located outside the uterus.

Old November 22nd 05, 04:13 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

"KD" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi folks:

Anybody else have this going on? This thing in my upper belly that I
thought was part of the baby is apparently a large fibroid on the
outside of my uterus, on top of it.

At least this is on the outside of the uterus, not invading baby space.
But does it ever feel weird, DH can feel it from the outside of my
belly. I am a bit concerned about its size, it feels really big to me!
And it doesn't stay in one spot either, which seems very strange.
Sometimes it's to the left, sometimes under my belly button, sometimes
I can't feel it there at all.

As my pregnancy progresses, I think I'm going to have an extra bulge
there!

I first became aware of my fibroid during my last pregnancy (eight years
ago!) , and it felt just about the same as you described - a moveable mass
about the size of a large lemon, on the top of my uterus.

It didn't give me any problems during labor, and may have shrunk for a time,
but it started giving me problems about three years ago (I'm now 41). My gyn
monitored it with each exam, describing my lumpy misshapen uterus, :-(
When I started to have menstrual problems and pain, I had several
ultrasounds, then a D&C and hysteroscopy to determine exactly where and how
large it is. It grew about 6 cm in a year. Mine is subserous, so if I want
it removed it means surgery more serious than a D&C. I deal with it by
choking down naproxen for the time being.

http://thefibroidplace.com/ is a good site.

Old November 22nd 05, 07:50 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

KD wrote:

Anybody else have this going on? This thing in my upper belly that I
thought was part of the baby is apparently a large fibroid on the
outside of my uterus, on top of it.

Fibroids occur in about 25% of all women,
so they are not uncommon at all.

At least this is on the outside of the uterus, not invading baby space.
But does it ever feel weird, DH can feel it from the outside of my
belly. I am a bit concerned about its size, it feels really big to me!
And it doesn't stay in one spot either, which seems very strange.
Sometimes it's to the left, sometimes under my belly button, sometimes
I can't feel it there at all.

Mine blocked the birth pathway, so I
needed a long vertical c-section. However,
it was asymptomatic before pregnancy and
returned to asymptomatic state afterwards,
both times.

If it's on a stalk, it could move around.
In general, it should not affect your
pregnancy, unless you start to feel pain
from it. There are pain medications
available to alleviate it, including
Vicodin.

-- Anita --
Old November 22nd 05, 10:23 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Fibroids can be attached to the uterus anywhere -- inside, inside the wall,
or outside. Outside is the best for the baby, and usually doesn't interfere
with the baby or the pregnancy.
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Guest
Password

Old November 23rd 05, 03:53 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

"KD" wrote in message
ups.com...

ModernMiko wrote:
"KD" wrote in message
[...]

Mine didn't really hurt until postpartum. I kept waiting for the
degeneration pain you can get about 15-18 weeks and thankfully didn't get
that - I heard it's pretty bad sometimes...

--
JennL
DS 06/26/98