Name Opinions

Old July 15th 03, 12:47 PM
Mary Ann Tuli

Default Name Opinions

H Schinske wrote:
I'm not sure how to pronounce Hypatia?

Several people have said this. What's hard about Hypatia? High-pay-sha. How
else would you say it in English?

--Helen

The Hyp could be pronounced as Hip and is Hypocrite, Pa could be as is
Pants and Tia as in Tia Maria. That equals Hip-pa-tee-a.

Mary Ann

Old July 15th 03, 06:33 PM
aps

In article , ==Daye==
wrote:

Boys:
Emerson
Magnus
Elijah

I like all three, but I've only heard of Magnus as peculiar to
Scotland. Is it in use in Oz also? I still like it, but it may be a
little pretentious.

Girls:
Hypatia
Ruby

Hate to be the one to bring this up, but there was an American porn
star in the 80s named Hyapatia something. One would think that stigma
had expired or wouldn't matter, but it's worth knowing. I do like Ruby.

APS
Old July 15th 03, 08:37 PM
Em

"H Schinske" wrote in message
I'm not sure how to pronounce Hypatia?

Several people have said this. What's hard about Hypatia? High-pay-sha.

How
else would you say it in English?

Your way is the way I was pretty sure it would be pronounced, but I could
also see it just as easily being Hip-at-sha. It isn't a name I've ever heard
before.

--
Em
edd 9/23/03

Old July 15th 03, 09:54 PM
==Daye==

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 10:33:15 -0700, aps
wrote:

I like all three, but I've only heard of Magnus as peculiar to
Scotland. Is it in use in Oz also? I still like it, but it may be a
little pretentious.

I don't think Magnus is in that much use. It would probably be a
middle name. Our children have 4 names -- First, 2 middle and a
last.

The Scotland connection would explain why parents of a friend of
my DH, who are Scottish, said, "Oh, Magnus! That is a good,
strong name!"

Hate to be the one to bring this up, but there was an American porn
star in the 80s named Hyapatia something. One would think that stigma
had expired or wouldn't matter, but it's worth knowing. I do like Ruby.

Thank you for telling me! I had never heard of the name before
my DH mentioned that he liked it. I didn't know there was a porn
star named that. Something to think about.

--
==Daye==
Momma to Jayan
#2 EDD 11 Jan 2004
E-mail: brendana AT labyrinth DOT net DOT au
Old July 15th 03, 09:57 PM
==Daye==

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 03:13:43 GMT, "RLK"
wrote:

I personally like the name Manus. I am not sure if it is a derivative of
Magnus.

Haven't thought of Manus. I will have to run it past the DH, and
look up the meaning.

--
==Daye==
Momma to Jayan
#2 EDD 11 Jan 2004
E-mail: brendana AT labyrinth DOT net DOT au
Old July 15th 03, 09:58 PM
==Daye==

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 04:07:32 GMT, "Laurie"
wrote:

I'm afraid the only name I remotely like on your list is Elijah. Sorry, that
wasn't much help.

Actually, that is a help. I know that you don't like most of the
names. I think I will run into that a bit with names like Magnus
and Hypatia.

--
==Daye==
Momma to Jayan
#2 EDD 11 Jan 2004
E-mail: brendana AT labyrinth DOT net DOT au
Old July 15th 03, 10:00 PM
==Daye==

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 14:56:51 +1000, Cheryl
wrote:

I know a girl named Emerson. It also sounds more like a surname
than a first name (much like any name that ends in "son" actually).

Well, Emerson is from Ralph Waldo Emerson, who is my favorite
American author. I love R.W. Emerson!

Emerson is a first name in German. Or at least, it was on a
website I found. I doubt that Emerson would be a first name...
it is more of a middle name.

--
==Daye==
Momma to Jayan
#2 EDD 11 Jan 2004
E-mail: brendana AT labyrinth DOT net DOT au
Old July 15th 03, 10:06 PM
==Daye==

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 09:00:52 GMT, "Alicia Elliott"
wrote:

Hi there Daye, you have some very interesting names chosen there. Do you
have an interest in ancient Rome by any chance?

Thank you! Well, ancient Greece... but I have studied heaps
about ancient Rome as well.

Emerson-sounds like a surname to me, plus I can see it being shortened to
Emmy.

Didn't think of that nickname... thank you.

Magnus-not my style, it sounds a bit pompous

I think that is one of the things I like about it. When you say
it, you have to sit up straight, have your hand into a fist and
then say it very deliberately, "Mag-nus!"

Hypatia-again not my style, I went to school with a girl named Hermione
(similarly foreign sounding) and she was teased mercilessly. I always felt
so badly for her.

Hypatia and Hermione are both from Greek origins so that is why
they sound "similarly foreign sounding". Hypatia would most
likely be a middle name.

Ruby-Makes me think of an old overweight woman. I had a second aunt named
Ruby with hair on her upper lip and her breasts arrived in the room before
she did. Not too favourable an association.

Thank you for that. My great grandmother was named Ruby. She
was a tall, thin woman, who was extremely intelligent. She had
strength. I know that associations are everything.

Good luck to you Daye, I hope you and hubby can come up with something that
appeals to both. : )

Thank you, Alicia! We are still in very early days. However, I
thought a few opinions and associations couldn't hurt at this
stage.

--
==Daye==
Momma to Jayan
#2 EDD 11 Jan 2004
E-mail: brendana AT labyrinth DOT net DOT au
Old July 15th 03, 10:09 PM
==Daye==

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 16:21:03 GMT, "Chotii"
wrote:

I can't even pronounce 'Hypatia' and you can be sure, anybody given this
name would spend the rest of her life either spelling it for people, or
having is mispronounced by everybody trying to read it cold.

I agree. My DH had to teach me how to spell it. Hypatia was his
suggestion, but I like it too. That is why I think Hypatia would
be a middle name, rather than a first name.

--
==Daye==
Momma to Jayan
#2 EDD 11 Jan 2004
E-mail: brendana AT labyrinth DOT net DOT au