4YO hates getting hair washed. Any ideas.

Old April 17th 06, 05:54 PM posted to misc.kids

Default 4YO hates getting hair washed. Any ideas.

My 4year old was never a huge fan of getting his hair washed but then he
finally realized that if he tilted his head back, I could rinse his hair
without getting any in his eyes. That was going quite well for quite a
while but now, all of a sudden it seems, he hates getting his hair washed
and fights me all the way.

He cries and screams and tries to get out of the bathtub and has hit or
splashed me. This surprises me quite a bit because, although he's not an
angel, this is quite a reaction for him and I would have thought a 4 year
old wouldn't freak out over something like this.

I've tried talking calmly to him, explaining why he needs to wash his hair,
that I'll be careful, that if he did it the way he used to it wouldn't get
in his eyes but I've also gotten angry with him. It's getting worse and
harder to deal with (especially this month as he has a full cast on one arm
that is not supposed to get wet).

What can I do? Any ideas?

--
Shelley
mom to 2 boys (4 and 1)

Old April 17th 06, 06:16 PM posted to misc.kids

"Shelley Warman" wrote in message
[...]

How about a swimming mask he can put on and pretend to be a deep sea diver
while you narrate his "adventure" and wash his hair?

Old April 17th 06, 10:09 PM posted to misc.kids

On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 16:54:03 GMT, "Shelley Warman"
wrote:

I've tried talking calmly to him, explaining why he needs to wash his hair,
that I'll be careful, that if he did it the way he used to it wouldn't get
in his eyes but I've also gotten angry with him. It's getting worse and
harder to deal with (especially this month as he has a full cast on one arm
that is not supposed to get wet).

Not original to me, but someone suggested hanging a toy up high
and having him look at that. A helium balloon might work. Anything
that will distract him from the process. And rinse quick so it
doesn't take long, I guess.

--
Dorothy

The Outer Limits
Old April 17th 06, 10:33 PM posted to misc.kids

"toto" wrote in message
Not original to me, but someone suggested hanging a toy up high
and having him look at that. A helium balloon might work. Anything
that will distract him from the process. And rinse quick so it
doesn't take long, I guess.

And keep his hair really short, at least until he will learn to tolerate
hair washing better. It requires less soaping and rinsing and shows being
dirty less quickly/readily.

-Aula, BTDTBTTS

Old April 17th 06, 11:14 PM posted to misc.kids

[...]

Can he do it entirely himself with you watching? #1 (5.5yo) lies herself
back, puts the shampoo in and then rinses it out herself. We just tell her
if she needs to lie back and do it again if it's not properly rinsed. We
made it into a game about 2-3 years ago with her lieing full length in the
bath, and she hasn't objected since she discovered this.
In the last 6 months #2 (2.5yo) has started doing the same (although she
does need a little help) from watching #1. We put them in the tub together
and then #1 helps #2 and they find it great fun.
Sit near with a towel and offer it to him if he gets water in his eyes, but
otherwise don't do more than offer advice.

But I did know of a nearly 7yo who still freaked out over it every week, so
I wouldn't worry too much about your 4yo. :-)
Debbie

Old April 18th 06, 01:31 AM posted to misc.kids

Aula wrote:

And keep his hair really short, at least until he will learn to tolerate
hair washing better. It requires less soaping and rinsing and shows being
dirty less quickly/readily.

-Aula, BTDTBTTS

I'd second this. A good buzz cut and he can grow it out when he decides
he will tolerate having it washed. Luckily you have a boy with this
problem. My boy is 2 and hates the bath, hates having anyone even touch
his hair, and its shaggy, in his eyes, down to his shoulders. I have to
trim his bangs while he's sleeping. Maybe I should buzz him when he's
sleeping too...lol.

Stasya

Old April 18th 06, 01:54 AM posted to misc.kids

"stasya" wrote in message
ups.com...

I'd second this. A good buzz cut and he can grow it out when he decides
he will tolerate having it washed. Luckily you have a boy with this
problem. My boy is 2 and hates the bath, hates having anyone even touch
his hair, and its shaggy, in his eyes, down to his shoulders. I have to
trim his bangs while he's sleeping. Maybe I should buzz him when he's
sleeping too...lol.

I had to switch from snipping/trimming DS' hair while sleeping to awake when
he was about that age. He did *not* tolerate hair cutting by parents at all
well. Two things were more likely to result in a less upsetting event:
buzz cut by dad while watching favorite cartoons or, at a slightly older age
[3 iirc] off to the hairdresser. He loved going to the hair dresser,
getting the same treatment as he'd get at home, but he wouldn't scream
throughout. They have magic dust apparently.

-Aula

Old April 18th 06, 02:09 AM posted to misc.kids

In article ,
"Shelley Warman" wrote:

[...]

Particularly since he's a boy, and since summer's coming, I think under
the circumstances I'd give him the kind of cut that can be "shampooed"
with a wash cloth.

Depending upon his temperment, he might even be old enough to be offered
the choice: does he want his head basically shaved, or does he want to
put up with getting his hair washed? (And if he chooses "wash the
hair", but then fights you and makes life miserable, point out that he
seems to have chosen getting his head shaved and do it.)

I know it's hard for some of us to buzz-cut our munchkins, but remember,
it WILL grow back!

Old April 18th 06, 02:38 AM posted to misc.kids

Hi --

Perhaps he'd go for washing his hair himself? Let him get his own hair
wet, squeeze the shampoo into his hand, scrub all over his head (you can
make a game of the dirt monsters running away to different parts of his
scalp) and then rinse off himself, too. He might like rinsing directly
in the shower rather than using a cup in the tub ...

Just an idea,
--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.
Old April 18th 06, 03:27 AM posted to misc.kids

Welches wrote:
SNIP
Can he do it entirely himself with you watching? #1 (5.5yo) lies herself
back, puts the shampoo in and then rinses it out herself. We just tell her
if she needs to lie back and do it again if it's not properly rinsed.

SNIP

One was a charter member of the bath and hairwash hating club. Once we
convinced him that he should actually sit in the tub (he refused for a
couple of years), we had him lay flat on his back, with me supporting
his head, to first wet, then rinse his hair. No water in the eyes. I
wouldn't do it with bubble bath or tub tints in the water, though.

Barbara

Pregnant & hair care [email protected] Pregnancy 5 June 10th 05 11:34 PM
Dandruff in 2 year old A&G&K&H General 8 January 25th 05 08:59 PM
kids and curls ted General 9 May 28th 04 01:26 AM
Your child with HAIR LOSS, how can you help? coco Kids Health 0 November 22nd 03 06:53 PM
CAN YOU LOSE YOUR HAIR FROM A VACCINE? john Kids Health 3 September 25th 03 04:40 AM