biting - what do you do?

Old January 8th 04, 02:58 PM
teapot

Default biting - what do you do?

well the Moo has 2 little white teeth poking through his bottom gum,
they are not all out yet but its imminent!

I thought it would be wise to ask for tips in case he turns out to be
a biter. He's been doing this pull off thing for the last week or so
and he gets 3 chances to settle before the boob gets put away as it
hurts. Should I use the same strategy for biting? I'm not sure its
working for the pulling off. What I mean by pulling off is when they
have a firm grip on th nipple but wrench their heads away fast - ouch.

teapot and the moo boy 7 mths today
Old January 8th 04, 05:18 PM
Nina

"teapot" wrote in message
om...
well the Moo has 2 little white teeth poking through his bottom gum,
they are not all out yet but its imminent!

I thought it would be wise to ask for tips in case he turns out to be
a biter. He's been doing this pull off thing for the last week or so
and he gets 3 chances to settle before the boob gets put away as it
hurts. Should I use the same strategy for biting? I'm not sure its
working for the pulling off. What I mean by pulling off is when they
have a firm grip on th nipple but wrench their heads away fast - ouch.

i called that "snapping" the nipple, like a rubber band
mine did it because it made milk fly in their faces
cant remember them ever biting,if the did i'd just break the latch with my
finger

Old January 8th 04, 05:44 PM
Andrea

"teapot" wrote in message
om...
well the Moo has 2 little white teeth poking through his bottom gum,
they are not all out yet but its imminent!

I thought it would be wise to ask for tips in case he turns out to be
a biter. He's been doing this pull off thing for the last week or so
and he gets 3 chances to settle before the boob gets put away as it
hurts. Should I use the same strategy for biting? I'm not sure its
working for the pulling off. What I mean by pulling off is when they
have a firm grip on th nipple but wrench their heads away fast - ouch.

teapot and the moo boy 7 mths today

I was advised here to put Kam down when he bit me, and it seemed to work.
I say a gentle no, then put him on the floor, which upsets him.
I also realise now he has 4 teeth, that he only bites when he is teething,
the rest of the time he is fine.

--
Andrea mom of 5 - latest addition Kamron David 7 months still nursing strong
with 4 teeth!

Old January 8th 04, 06:01 PM
Elana Kehoe

teapot wrote:

well the Moo has 2 little white teeth poking through his bottom gum,
they are not all out yet but its imminent!

I thought it would be wise to ask for tips in case he turns out to be
a biter. He's been doing this pull off thing for the last week or so
and he gets 3 chances to settle before the boob gets put away as it
hurts. Should I use the same strategy for biting? I'm not sure its
working for the pulling off. What I mean by pulling off is when they
have a firm grip on th nipple but wrench their heads away fast - ouch.

P only bit me maybe 5 times (?). I'd almost scream OUCH and he'd
unlatch and understand pretty easily what he did.

There is this thing..be prepared. They do this...teeth pressing. Where
instead of holding the nipple with their lips or suction, they gently
hold it with their teeth. Of course, over the course of a session, this
is a bit annoying and starts to hurt a little. I unlatched P this
morning and had some nice deep teeth marks. Haven't seen any solution
for this...I think they do it when they're lazy :-).
--
It's Tis Herself
Old January 8th 04, 09:37 PM
Sara

teapot wrote:

well the Moo has 2 little white teeth poking through his bottom gum,
they are not all out yet but its imminent!

I thought it would be wise to ask for tips in case he turns out to be
a biter.

I've found pulling Ollie to me works much better than any other method
(unlatching him, putting him down, or screaming in pain). He's gone
through biting phases three times, and the "pulling him in" method
seems to end the phase fastest.

--
Sara, accompanied by the four-and-a-half-teethed barnacle
Old January 8th 04, 10:00 PM
Cathy Weeks

(teapot) wrote in message . com...
well the Moo has 2 little white teeth poking through his bottom gum,
they are not all out yet but its imminent!

I thought it would be wise to ask for tips in case he turns out to be
a biter. He's been doing this pull off thing for the last week or so
and he gets 3 chances to settle before the boob gets put away as it
hurts. Should I use the same strategy for biting? I'm not sure its
working for the pulling off. What I mean by pulling off is when they
have a firm grip on th nipple but wrench their heads away fast - ouch.

Well, Kivi went through a few biting phases, though none lasted long.

The only BAD biting phase we had was when she was 11 months old, and
had an ear infection, and she would bite me if I even *offered* her
the breast. That was the worst, because she didn't have to put her
mouth on me, so it's like she went out of her way to bite.

I did a couple of things:
1. Gently smushed her in close to my breast so she couldn't breathe.
She pulled away in no time.
2. poked or tapped her cheek - just hard enough to get the point
across, not enough to hurt.
3. Put her down and walked away.

To my eternal shame, though, after she'd given me the 4th or 5th hard
bite in one day, I lost my temper and hit her cheek. Not hard enough
to injure (or even leave a read mark) but it upset her horribly. She
didn't bite me again, and turned her face away when I offered and she
didn't want to nurse.

After that biting episodes have been very isolated and never serious.
For awhile, when she was 14-15 months she would latch on
overenthusiastically, and I would merely remind her to be gentle. Now
at, two, she very occasionally bites the very tip of my nipple, not
hard, (almost carefully), as if she is curious what I'll do, but
doesn't wan't to hurt me. I usually yelp and say "no biting!" and she
doesn't do it again for a month or so.

Cathy Weeks
Mommy to Kivi Alexis 12/01
Old January 8th 04, 10:18 PM
Cheryl S.

"teapot" wrote in message
om...
I thought it would be wise to ask for tips in case he
turns out to be a biter. He's been doing this pull off
thing for the last week or so and he gets 3 chances
to settle before the boob gets put away as it hurts.
Should I use the same strategy for biting? I'm not sure
its working for the pulling off. What I mean by pulling
off is when they have a firm grip on th nipple but wrench
their heads away fast - ouch.

I never give "chances" - I think they are just confusing for the child
and make them want to do it *more*, in an attempt to figure out, "why
was it OK this time but not OK that time?". He can't count to three,
yet. :-)

I'm not there yet with DS, and DD didn't do the painful pull-off thing,
but when she did try biting, I just *immediately* unlatched her and set
her down, then refused to nurse again for at least 15 minutes. After 2,
maybe 3 times, she stopped and never bit again.

Side-note: The thing to remember with kids (and I am not always good at
remembering this myself) is that they are born with *no* *idea* what is
OK and what is not. All behaviors are just things that they try out,
when or if it occurs to them to do so. Kids are not "bad" or "good",
IMO, some are just more experimental than others. ;-) So I try to
think of myself more as teaching them than disciplining them. The
quickest way to teach something is to have action X result in effect Y
immediately and 100% consistently.
--
Cheryl S.
Mom to Julie, 2 yr., 9 mo.

Cleaning the house while your children are small is like
shoveling the sidewalk while it's still snowing.

Old January 8th 04, 10:30 PM
zeldabee

Nina was all, like:
"teapot" wrote ...
What I mean by pulling off is when they
have a firm grip on th nipple but wrench their heads away fast -
ouch.

i called that "snapping" the nipple, like a rubber band
mine did it because it made milk fly in their faces
cant remember them ever biting,if the did i'd just break the latch
with my finger

Ouch! Mine does that! It hurts a bit even without teeth...maybe I ought to
do something about it now, while he's still toothless...

--
z e l d a b e e @ p a n i x . c o m
http://NewsReader.Com/

Old January 8th 04, 10:43 PM
Nina

"Cheryl S." wrote in message
"teapot" wrote in message
om...
[...]

The best way to increase the frequency of a behavior is to reward
inconsistently. If MOST bites result in continuted nursing, but a few result
in being put down. What you are doing is rewarding the biting, though
inconsistenly. This is almost guaranteed to increase it. To extinguish a
behavior, u want a definite consequence IMMEDIATELY following the behavior,
so the connection is made between the behavior and the result. A good
"OW!!!" after being bitten, then moving the child from the breast, should
work. Use a verbal cue because babies are always being put down, or taken
off the breast, u want teh consequence to be distinct from other behaviors
of yours. A good OW! and then unlatching may do the trick.

Old January 9th 04, 10:59 AM
KC

Jessi just bit me a few times the other night. Every time I made a
shocked sucking in air noise and an ouch too. I at least at some
point also said no biting. It's kind of fuzzy since it was the middle
of the night. Our nursing is usually quite calm, gentle and quiet.
We only nurse in bed with the lights dim and a fan on for white noise,
so my noises during nursing shocked her alot and she cried and stopped
nursing. She went back to sleep with me rubbing her back instead of
her nursing, which never happens usually.

The next morning she again bit me and I again made all the noises
listed above and this time I took the booby away. The next time we
nursed I told her no biting right before we started, and then she
hesitated several times while trying to latch on like she was afraid
to latch on. I think she didn't quite know what she had done wrong
before and was afraid to mess it up again. Then with my hand I
expressed a little milk onto my nipple, so when put her mouth to my
nipple again it tasted like milk and she did greedily latch on and has
not bit again since then.

I expect her to bite again someday though because babies have short
memories.

KC