ROP Retinopathy of Prematurity

Old December 22nd 05, 07:32 AM posted to alt.parenting.twins-triplets

Default ROP Retinopathy of Prematurity

Does anyone have any experience of their children having ROP? Both of
my girls have it. Kailee is at Stage 2 right now and Jolie is at stage
1. I am wondering if anyone can tell me about ROP.

Old December 22nd 05, 09:18 PM posted to alt.parenting.twins-triplets

On 21 Dec 2005 23:32:02 -0800, "MommytoJolie&Kailee"
wrote:

Does anyone have any experience of their children having ROP? Both of
my girls have it. Kailee is at Stage 2 right now and Jolie is at stage
1. I am wondering if anyone can tell me about ROP.

Yes, both of my girls were diagnosed with ROP -- Olivia had stage II
and Cassie stage III (we thought she had retinal detachment at one
point, but luckily she did not).

I honestly don't know too much about it, but I do know that as long as
your girls are being followed closely (weekly exams, probably), they
will be able to be treated early, if needed. A lot of preemies used to
end up blind due to ROP, but that is *much* less common now because of
the use of frequent eye exams as well as laser surgery. BTW, neither
of my girls needed the surgery even though Cassie's ROP looked pretty
bad. They also both have perfect vision now, although they will likely
need glasses at some point -- either because of the ROP or genetics
:-)

--
Paula
Mom to Olivia and Cassie (b. 4/8/03 @ 26 weeks)
Old January 13th 06, 01:46 PM posted to alt.parenting.twins-triplets

Both my boys had ROP stage 2 until they were 5 months old. Then it
slowly went away. They are now 6 years old now. And are seen once a
year by the eye Dr. We haven't seen any problems. Its more likey that
genetics will make them need glasses. I know of a lady who son was born
the same time and left the hospital the same time. Her baby went from
stage 1 in a week to needing surgery. I talked to her after and she
said it was easy and painless surgery and everything is okay now.

Amanda