In other news...

Old August 26th 03, 03:55 AM
Leah Adezio

Default [META] In other news...

"David desJardins" wrote in message
Marjorie writes:
Yes, it certainly is your call, but it is in fact his information, and
medical information at that. Henry's a smart kid, but does he
understand all the possible things to consider about posting his
prescription information?

She's the parent. It's her decision. I think you're way out of line
criticizing her.

Indeed.

Plus, the precription information is really only going to mean something to
another person (or in this instance, another parent) who is actually
familiar with the medication being discussed.

I don't see why someone who doesn't have a child taking this medication and
would know what the dosages *mean* would really care, actually....especially
after Dawn said that that the information was posted with her son's
knowledge.

And it may be Henry's information, but AFAIC, as a minor child, it's Dawn's
call to decide what to do with that information. (although I'm sure if he
said 'Mom, do you have to tell the group about this?' -- with the infamous
'tween eyeroll tossed in for good measure g, Dawn would have respected his
wishes in the matter....)

Leah

David desJardins

Old August 26th 03, 11:15 PM
Iowacookiemom

You're right, you've shared lots of information I would not have.

Yeah, I'm sure that's true. You've shared some things about your kids that I
wouldn't have shared, too. We all make those calls as we go.

I think
what
pushed the button this time was that you were asking someone else to post
their
child's information.

What you couldn't have seen is that I replied by both email and public post --
to save time mostly. I expected (and I was right) that she'd reply with that
info, if she chose to do so, by private email).

I suppose I could have sent two different messages, but I was in a hurry and
wanted to reply to her message quickly (I was mindful school was starting soon
and she had mentioned some side effects that were troubling).

I do still think this was really mine (and Henry's) decision to make.

-Dawn

Old August 26th 03, 11:29 PM
David desJardins

Marjorie writes:
You're right, you've shared lots of information I would not have. I
think what pushed the button this time was that you were asking
someone else to post their child's information. I thought it
reasonable to point out that the idea that sharing medical information
on usenet could be considered a bad idea. Obviously, there are those
who consider that to have been a bad idea in itself.

I think if you discussed the topic ("Here are some reasons I don't think
it's a good idea to post this sort of information"), then people might
still hold a different opinion than you, but at least you would be
conveying some information. Furthermore, I think there's a big
difference between "this doesn't seem like a good idea to me" (opinion)
and "you shouldn't be doing that" (criticism).

David desJardins

Old August 27th 03, 05:54 AM
Leah Adezio

piggybacking off David's post...

Marjorie writes:
You're right, you've shared lots of information I would not have. I
think what pushed the button this time was that you were asking
someone else to post their child's information.

And since *I* was the person whom she asked, I think *I'm* grown up enough
to decide for myself and *my* child if I wanted to post publically or not.

You'll note there's no such information here, but that's mainly more because
it also coincided with one of Dawn's friendly emails asking how we're doing,
so we discussed it in email.

FWIW, had there not been an email from Dawn, I would not have had a problem
discussing dosages. I don't see where discussing Strattera dosage and body
weight is any different from discussing other medications and body weight.

Me thinks there might be a 'hidden button' here -- that we're talking about
ADHD medications versus medications for what some opine to be a "real"
medical condition.

Subconscious, perhaps, but I've seen (and been on the receiving end) enough
criticism of ADHD and the medications used for its treatment to just
wonder........

Leah

Old August 27th 03, 12:05 PM
MarjiG

In article , "Leah Adezio" writes:

And since *I* was the person whom she asked, I think *I'm* grown up enough
to decide for myself and *my* child if I wanted to post publically or not.

Of course, you and Dawn both have the ability to decide what you want to make
public. I'm not sure why some would want that to negate my being able to say I
think it is a bad idea.

You'll note there's no such information here, but that's mainly more because
it also coincided with one of Dawn's friendly emails asking how we're doing,
so we discussed it in email.

Right. Dawn's already said she "posted and emailed" because she was in a
hurry, but posting, and especially if you had responded on-line might have led
to other people jumping in with their dosages, and perhaps not all of them
would have thought through whether they really wanted that information on
usenet for all time.

FWIW, had there not been an email from Dawn, I would not have had a problem
discussing dosages. I don't see where discussing Strattera dosage and body
weight is any different from discussing other medications and body weight.

And I don't see where discussing someone else's medical information on usenet
is appropriate.

Me thinks there might be a 'hidden button' here -- that we're talking about
ADHD medications versus medications for what some opine to be a "real"
medical condition.

Subconscious, perhaps, but I've seen (and been on the receiving end) enough
criticism of ADHD and the medications used for its treatment to just
wonder........

Not that I don't think ADHD is real, but I do think that some schools push for
a diagnosis (and prescription) because that's the easy solution. I do believe
there are kids medicated for ADHD that do not have it, because the school
wanted to solve a problem.

-Marjorie

Old August 27th 03, 12:05 PM
MarjiG

In article , David desJardins
writes:

Furthermore, I think there's a big
difference between "this doesn't seem like a good idea to me" (opinion)
and "you shouldn't be doing that" (criticism).

Really? Which category is " I think you're way out of line
criticizing her." in?

-Marjorie

Old August 27th 03, 06:53 PM
Leah Adezio

"MarjiG" wrote in message
In article , "Leah Adezio"

writes:

[...]

Then that's *their* problem, isn't it?

One of the best axioms I've heard is from a woman I know on another
newsgroup. Simple, and to the point: "Manage your own damn Usenet."

[...]

And given the full battery of tests that should be done in order to get a
proper ADHD diagnosis, I would say flat out that you're wrong. Schools
can't "push" for a diagnosis -- and especially not for a prescription. They
can recommend an evaluation based on behaviors observed, but that's *it*.

This is *exactly* what I'm talking about -- people who get their opinions on
ADHD from the mass media --- usually presented by those with an anti-med
bias (Breggin and the like, for example) and then spout off about something
they know *nothing* about.

Guess I wasn't that far off base, after all.

Wish I weren't, but I'm not surprised.

Leah

-Marjorie

Old August 27th 03, 11:53 PM
just me

"Hillary Israeli" wrote in message
So, out of curiosity, if someone asked "what kind of doxycycline dose did
your doctor prescribe to treat your Lyme disease," you'd think it
inappropriate for discussion on Usenet? I find that interesting. Certainly
it does bug me when people take the advice of random strangers over that
of their hired professionals, but at the same time, there's that whole
"information wants to be free" thing

We have found, over and over again, the information obtained through
discussions on or through disease/support news groups has expanded the
information which the docs had and has led to more appropriate treatment
choices being made for us. I suspect that the HMO's rampant in the US are
*contributing* to the apparent failure of doctors in the US to actively
pursue many symptoms to the point where they are diagnosed and treated well,
but that is a long dissertation that probably belongs on a different news
group.

-Aula