Nicotine patch while pregnant?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old November 11th 08, 12:52 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Kat

Default Nicotine patch while pregnant?

I'm just wondering if anyone knows anything about this.
I find I am getting mixed messages and answers wherever I look.
I ended up finding a (somewhat) local study about using a nicotine patch
while pregnant...
http://www.ucalgary.ca/news/uofcpubl...12-07/nicotine
To my understanding, it basically says that a patch might be a safe
alternative to smoking while pregnant (I mean to use a nicotine patch to
quit smoking while pregnant, rather than continue to smoke during pregnancy)
The box for like Nicoderm, or whatever kind of nicotine patch, says not to
use while breastfeeding or pregnant. It (obviously) doesn't say why.
Today at my appointment, I specifically asked. My OB said she doesn't
recommend it. To me, that isn't a yes or a no answer. Just that she
doesn't recommend it. She also didn't say why or anything like that. By
saying she doesn't recommend it, to me, that seems like she's NOT saying,
"Oh yes, go ahead and give it a shot!" or "No, no, don't do it!"

So I called the local 'Smoker's Help Line' to ask about this. See if I can
get an actual yes or no as to if a nicotine patch is alright, and why.
I was transferred to the 24 hour health line run by nurses and gave up being
on hold after about 10 or so minutes and decided I'd wait until later
tonight when it won't be so busy to get through to someone.

Does anyone know anything about a nicotine patch during pregnancy?

Apple Patch Diet! webstream5 General 0 March 13th 07 06:29 AM
Apple Patch Diet! webstream5 Pregnancy 0 March 13th 07 06:22 AM
Apple Patch Diet! webstream5 General 0 March 13th 07 06:18 AM
Estrogen Patch [email protected] Pregnancy 2 March 2nd 05 02:20 AM
Eye patch on the BAD eye???? concerned Kids Health 3 July 24th 04 10:35 PM