Another cold at our house...wah wah wah!

Old March 1st 05, 07:41 PM
Jamie Clark

Default Another cold at our house...wah wah wah!

All,
Well, well, well... life here has been interesting, to say the least. You
may remember that we all had colds a month ago, which turned into pneumonia
in Taylor and double ear infections for Addie. We had to do a 10 day round
of antibiotics for Addie and a 5 day round of meds (I don't think they were
antibiotics) for Taylor. I've also mentioned how difficult it is to dose
Taylor with meds, although we finally got a system down last month, which
included crushing pills, dissolving them in milk, then diluting it into 16
ounces of milk drank fairly consecutively in the morning.

About two weeks after we finished up all our meds, I came down with food
poisoning for a day, and was pretty miserable. This was 2 Saturday's ago.
Then the next Monday, I had a scratchy throat and the sniffles, and within a
day a full blown cold, which of course Taylor and Addie got as well (or they
gave me, I don't know!). I waited until I finally felt better, which was a
week, then this past Monday took both girls into the pediatrician, just to
have them checked out. Since they weren't so obviously sick before, I
thought it would be the prudent thing to do. And guess what? Taylor is
wheezy again, according to the doc, and Addie has another ear infection.
The good news is that neither is as bad as it was last time, but the bad
news is that both will need another round of meds. Addie is a breeze to
medicate, but Taylor is a bear, still. And of course it's a new med, so we
have to start from scratch to see how to get it down her. Yesterday we
mixed it with some strawberry milk, which at first Taylor thought she liked,
but then decided that we didn't, so I diluted it a bit with regular milk,
and we spent the next 2.5 hours cajoling her into drinking it down. That
was a nightmare, but I stuck it out until the bitter end, so to speak, and
in the end, won that battle. This morning I'm trying to dilute the meds
into her milk again, in smaller doses, and that might be working better. I
hate to make it into a power struggle, but I don't believe that meds are
negotiable.

I hate the fact that I may have to take both my girls into the doctor for a
common cold. It's just not the type of parent that I am, but it's clearly
the type of kids that they are, so off we go. And I really hate the fact
that a common cold settles into them in more serious ways, but hopefully
this is just something that they will both outgrow. My ped says that it's
just cold season and dumb luck, and not indicative of their future health
issues, so I am glad about that.
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Guest
Password

Old March 1st 05, 09:16 PM
Emily

Jamie Clark wrote:
I hate the fact that I may have to take both my girls into the doctor for a
common cold. It's just not the type of parent that I am, but it's clearly
the type of kids that they are, so off we go. And I really hate the fact
that a common cold settles into them in more serious ways, but hopefully
this is just something that they will both outgrow. My ped says that it's
just cold season and dumb luck, and not indicative of their future health
issues, so I am glad about that.

Sorry to hear everyone's sick! It sounds like you're doing
a great job keeping on top of it all, though.

On medicine: are the meds Taylor needs available in chewables?
Giving meds to DS got much easier when he got big enough for
those (around 2yo). Of course, he's not really all that difficult
to medicate....

Emily

Old March 2nd 05, 02:24 AM
Emily

Jamie Clark wrote:
She wouldn't eat the chewable, and if she did, would likely throw it up... :
(

Yikes! That's hard!

Emily
Old March 2nd 05, 04:43 AM
Tori M.

"Jamie Clark" wrote in message
She wouldn't eat the chewable, and if she did, would likely throw it up...
: (

Boy I cant get Bonnie to stop wanting to take meds. If I get tylenol out to
give Xavier she insists she needs some to.

Tori

--
Bonnie 3/02
Xavier 10/04