Pelvic Floor Exercises

Old April 7th 04, 08:37 PM
Cherie

Default Pelvic Floor Exercises

I have seen post about people doing pelvic floor exercise and pelvic rocks.
What exactly are these? I just always assumed they were kegels but now I am
thinking they are not. What is the benefit of them and how exactly do I do
them?

Old April 7th 04, 08:50 PM
Em

"Cherie" wrote in message
I have seen post about people doing pelvic floor exercise and pelvic

rocks.
What exactly are these? I just always assumed they were kegels but now

I am
thinking they are not. What is the benefit of them and how exactly do

I do
them?

Pelvic floor exercises are Kegels. Pelvic rocks are different
though--involving moving your pelvis in a rocking motion. Get on your
hands and knees and arch your back like a cat stretching, then bring
your pelvis down and back (your back will get sort of concave--the
reverse of how it is when arched). That's a pelvic rock. I'm sure there
is a better way to describe them, but I can't think of anything else
right now! Pelvic floor exercises are good for strengthening your
muscles, helping your realize how the muscles in that area relax (you'll
need to know that for pushing!), and I think may help prevent tearing
and incontinence. They are also good for regaining vaginal tone after
birth and for preventing incontinence. Pelvic rocks are good for
relaxing your pelvis, for helping get the baby into a good position for
labor and birth, for helping a posterior baby turn, and for encouraging
babies to stay in an anterior position. (i.e. preventing back labor
which is apparently highly uncomfortable).

HTH!

--
Em
mama to L-baby, 6 months old

Old April 8th 04, 10:52 AM
Kereru

"Cherie" wrote in message
I have seen post about people doing pelvic floor exercise and pelvic

rocks.
What exactly are these? I just always assumed they were kegels but now I

am
thinking they are not. What is the benefit of them and how exactly do I do
them?

They are Kegels. DO THEM, I have just had an operation for a bladder, bowel
and utene prolapse. Mainly because of huge babies (two ten pounders plus)
but Kegels can help prevent prolapse in normal size pregnancies.

Judy