Feldy babies! (also: Sensational Sitting?) (also: Miriam's Effortless Squatting: Is it *TRUE* Effortless Squatting?)

Old November 1st 03, 03:01 AM
Todd Gastaldo

Default Feldy babies! (also: Sensational Sitting?) (also: Miriam's Effortless Squatting: Is it *TRUE* Effortless Squatting?)

THE TIME HAS COME FOR FELDENKRAIS "FELDY" BABIES! - please see the very end
of this post...

THE GREAT BIRTH ROBBERY: Attn Feldenkrais practitioners: MDs exclude the
**at-term sacroiliac** movement pattern thereby denying babies up to 30% of
pelvic outlet area at birth!

PREGNANT WOMEN: It's EASY to allow your birth canal to OPEN the "extra" up
to 30% - just roll onto your side as you push your baby out...

Just make sure you read the TWO WARNINGS in Lina's failed back surgery (Can
we rehab squatting ability?) (Squatting NOT necessary at birth!)

SENSATIONAL SITTING?

DID MIRIAM TEACH **TRULY** EFFORTLESS SQUATTING?

"I personally had one 76-year-old woman who had never squatted in her life
(and she had knee problems as well), who learned to squat in a day at my
Effortless Gardening workshop. I was impressed, to say the least. If she
could do it, so can others..."
--Miriam Levenson, on her Feldenkrais Effortless Squatting Lesson

OPEN LETTER (archived for global access***)

Miriam Levenson
Effortless Action, LLC
P.O. Box 2379
Madison, WI 53701-2379

Miriam,

I heartily support your squatting educational efforts.

(Usenet readers, to order Miriams Effortless Gardening video, see the very
end of this post)...

Although I support your squatting educational efforts, I am *highly*
skeptical (respectfully) that you taught a 76-year-old woman how to recover
her *innate* squatting ability.

Then again, if you *did* - and I sincerely hope this is so - I want to learn
how! See the postscript.

If you are "just" saying that you are helping people get back to squatting -
there is nothing "just" about that - BRAVO!

Regardless Miriam, THANKS for explicitly advertising squatting education -
and thanks also for posting my Preface to the FeldyForum (no responses yet).

Here is the URL for the version of my Preface that I posted to chiro-list:

Here is the URL for my orginal post to you: "Feldenkrais lesson: Effortless
Squatting" http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group...t/message/2211

SENSATIONAL SITTING? DYNAMIC SITTING?

I recently found Feldenkrais web articles/courses titled "Sensational
Sitting" and "Dynamic Sitting," as in,

"Sensational Sitting...an hour workshop using the Feldenkrais Method...learn
ways to reduce the fatigue associated with sitting
for extended periods... Organisation: Australian Feldenkrais
Guild...Contact: Sarah Wiin...Phone: 1800 001 550
Email: ...
http://www.adultlearnersweek.org/show/Western+Australia

"Sitting Pretty: How to Sit Dynamically...Mark Reese, Ph.D., Certified
Feldenkrais® Trainer, is one of the world's
foremost authorities on the Feldenkrais Method®...studied with Moshé
Feldenkrais from 1975 - 1984 in San Francisco, Amherst and Tel-Aviv...Mark
has trained practitioners in more than 30 Feldenkrais® Professional Training
Programs...co-author of Relaxercise...You may find Mark's website at
http://www.feldenkraisglobal.com

"Dynamic Sitting...Our Feldenkrais classes, and lessons taught in the
Relaxercise book and tape
series, teach the art of dynamic, stress-free sitting. The first principle
of 'dynamic' sitting is that sitting is an activity, full of movement and
life...[BUT - TDG]...place a pillow behind the small of your back so that a
healthy arch is maintained..."
http://216.239.53.104/search?q=cache...hl=en&ie=UTF-8
http://www.feldenkraisglobal.com/art...ing_pretty.htm

ARRGGHHH!

There is NOTHING dynamic about maintaining an arch. (!)

Indeed, in circumstances where most humans on the planet OBLITERATE the
arch - "spine experts" - some of them Feldenkrais - with NO experimental
evidence - are exhorting chairdwellers to MAINTAIN the arch ("maintain the
lumbar lordosis")....(!)

See Lina's failed back surgery (Can we rehab squatting ability?) (Squatting
NOT necessary at birth!)

Sensational Sitting and Dynamic Sitting Feldenkrais articles/courses...

If they fail to mention that maybe we *shouldn't* be chair-dwelling - they
PERPETUATE "exclusion of an unconsidered movement pattern" (flat-footed
squatting), as in,

Feldenkrais Method is interested in "RECOVERING excluded and unconsidered
movement patterns or actions."
http://www.feldenkrais.com/standards/index.html (emphasis added)

Feldenkrais Method "DIRECTLY ADDRESSES" the question of "THE LEARNING
NECESSARY" to recover excluded and unconsidered movement patterns or
actions.

(Copied to: Mark Reese, PhD - Dynamic Sitting - via )

Miriam, your Feldenkrais lesson titled "Effortless Squatting" at best
INDIRECTLY addresses the learning necessary for recovering the excluded and
unconsidered movement pattern called squatting...

Many adults who have lost their innate flat-footed squatting ability have
children who have NOT yet lost the ability.

At a minimum, when one charges people to learn how to recover that which has
been stolen from them one is obligated to at least MENTION the robbery - The
Great Squat Robbery - and how easily it might be PREVENTED - no learning
necessary.

A culture of parents can PREVENT - if they get THE LEARNING NECESSARY - if
they are reminded that kids flat-footed squat *spontaneously* until they are
robbed.

You apparently failed to mention this to your 76-year-old Effortless
Gardening student...

As noted above, you wrote:

"I personally had one 76-year-old woman who had never squatted in her life
(and she had knee problems as well), who learned to squat in a day at my
Effortless Gardening workshop. I was impressed, to say the least. If she
could do it, so can others..."

When your 76-year-old student said she never squatted in her life - that was
your cue to call the obvious error to her attention...

At the risk of dulling my point: It is quite likely that 76-year-old
student DID squat - as a child - but was subsequently robbed - because in
our culture the squatting movement pattern is "excluded and unconsidered"...

I SAY AGAIN...

Many adults who have lost their innate flat-footed squatting ability have
children who have NOT yet lost the ability.

At a minimum, when one charges people to learn how to recover that which has
been stolen from them one is obligated to at least MENTION the robbery - The
Great Squat Robbery - and how easily it might be PREVENTED - no learning
necessary.

THE GREAT BIRTH ROBBERY...

The obvious PRIORITY of course is stopping the related Great Birth Robbery -
which was the reason for my Preface.

As MDs commit The Great Birth Robbery, closing birth canals up to 30% - some
MDs are blaming The Great Squat Robbery!

Since Feldenkrais practitioners/teachers indicate they are experts in
RECOVERING "excluded and unconsidered movement patterns" - they should be
leading the way in recovering the MD-excluded sacroiliac movement pattern at
birth!

Again Miriam, thanks for posting my Preface (no responses yet).

I will be posting this reply to the uncensored version of chiro-list;
hopefully you will post it toon - to the FeldyForum...

Thanks,

Sincerely,

Todd

Dr. Gastaldo

PS MIRIAM'S EFFORTLESS SQUATTING: IS IT TRUE EFFORTLESS SQUATTING?

Miriam, sorry to repeat myself but...

I wrote at the end of my first reply to you...

#### Emerson said, "Your goodness must have some edge to it -
else it is none."

snip
#### Let us reserve the term "Effortless Squatting" for the innate
posture that is robbed. Let us call what you are teaching something
LESSER (it is something lesser certainly than PREVENTION).

#### I hope my "edge" here has not offended. The (loss of) squatting
question IS (as you say) an essential one - particularly with MDs blaming
loss of squatting for their bizarre birth practice of senselessly closing
birth canals.

You apparently sincerely believe you are teaching the innate posture that
has been robbed.

Again quoting your reply:

"I personally had one 76-year-old woman who had never squatted in her life
(and she had knee problems as well), who learned to squat in a day at my
Effortless Gardening workshop. I was impressed, to say the least. If she
could do it, so can others..."

I want to meet this 76-year-old. (!)

What you say is incredible! She had "knee problems" - she "never squatted
in her life" - yet you say she "learned to [effortlessly] squat IN A DAY" at
your Effortless Gardeninig workshop. (!)

Miriam, even if it takes you MORE than a day to teach truly Effortless
Squatting - you have a gift - I want to learn it. I mean this.

But, as I indicated to you, I strongly suspect you are "only"^^^ helping
patients recover something LESS than Effortless Squatting.

^^^I put "only" in quotes because helping patients start to squat again is
MAJORLY important in my book - Go Miriam!

POLARITY THERAPY

Randolph Stone, DC, DO (founder of Polarity Therapy) wrote a book about how
he recovered his ability to squat - I think in his 60s. He called squatting
"the Health Posture."

When I looked at the drawings (instructions) in Stone's book years ago, it
did not appear to me that he recovered truly Effortless Squatting.

It is not enough to merely regain the ability to assume a flat-footed
squat - one must be COMFORTABLE squatting for prolonged periods.

I have been working on squatting for years - though perhaps not as well as I
could - still no luck recovering COMFORTABLE squatting for prolonged
periods.

I am HIGHLY skeptical of your claim Miriam...but again (I say again), if you
are doing this - you have a gift - I want to learn it.

I want my innate flat-footed squatting ability back.

How bizarre that this culture robs its children of a fundamental all-terrain
on-your-feet rest posture...

PILATES...

Brent D. Anderson, PT, OCS writes:

"With a device called the rotating T-bar, a therapist can measure
weight-bearing asymmetries while squatting. Using the closed chain foot bar
on all reformers can assess asymmetries between hip rotators as they apply
to alignment through a squatting range of motion."
http://www.rehabpub.com/features/672001/5.asp

Most chair-dwellers taking Pilates are not squatting as nature intended them
to...

The term "squatting" doesn't always mean FLAT-FOOTED squatting.

See Biomechanics experts to help babies?

MIRIAM WROTE...