Disgusting (d-posted)

Old January 1st 04, 04:21 AM
Ali's Daddie

Default Disgusting (d-posted)

X-posted

I am so mad at our local police department.

I just saw a news story saying that there will be a little more than double
the amount of police coverage tonight.

Then, the chief of police (or whatever the boss is called) said that at the
stroke of midnight, all the police that are not on a call will be parking
under an overpass and staying there for a while (no specific time)

The reason?

There is an Hispanic custom, or whatever ya wanna call it.

At the stroke of midnight, people take their guns outside and start shooting
into the air. The chief of police stated that his officers "know that what
goes up must come down".

Ok, thats fine. But why not patrol and arrest the idiot that are stupid
enough to do this kind of thing instead if hiding from it?

I understand that a cultural thing should be allowed, but why the hell can't
they shoot blanks? Or why can't they shoot into the ground, or something
that isn't life threatening?

Last year in Albuquerque alone, they reported that a total of 150 people
called the police because bullets that were shot into the air had come
through their ceilings and hit their floors (the number didn't count the
total of people who found the bullets or bullet holes the next morning).
There was also a report of a child sleeping in its crib being hit by a
bullet, but I never heard anymore about it.

I realize the odds of getting hit by one of these bullets is small. But why
chance it at all?

I simply don't understand the fact that people will endanger others for fun,
and that the local police refuse to do anything about it until AFTER
something bad happens.

Our neighborhood is predominantly Hispanic and so several times a year we
get this shooting all night long (July 4th, Cinco De Mayo, Halloween, and
any other "reason" to get drunk and stupid). Even calling the police with
the address (our neighbors shoot several times a year) they either do
nothing, or they tell us (the 911 operator) that it is a cultural right to
shoot into the air and so it is not considered an emergency. So if my
daughter gets hit by one of these bullets, will the police do anything?
Doubtful because it is a "cultural right"

Grrr

Let me add that I am in no way saying that Hispanics don't have the right to
celebrate their customs. But I DO think the police should do *something*
about the problems it causes. Even if it means raising taxes in order to
hand out blanks to people for free!

Also, I do NOT think that Hispanics are the only people doing this. I am
originally from Texas, and I have always dealt with this issue. Just not to
the extreme I am now. Usually, in Texas, people (including several uncles of
mine) would shoot into the air at holidays and celebrations.

Ok, I'm finished ranting for now, but I doubt this is the last anyone will
hear from me on the subject.

--
LES!

To send me an email, please remove Your Hat
YourHatDaddie @ bonbon.net

Old January 1st 04, 04:40 AM
Jenalyn

Do you still live in TX? I'm in Houston and as far as I know, in the west
area of Houston that I live they don't tolerate this behavior, nor justify
it as a cultural thing. They can have their Cinco & Undead night and
whatever other cultural traditions they want to keep when they come to the
US, but they need to respect the fact that it is ABSOLUTELY 100% ILLEGAL to
shoot any weapon into the air. Trace ought to have a way to find out where
the bullet came from, then again, HPD has a pretty crappy forensic service.

Old January 1st 04, 05:11 AM
Dizzysmamma

I'm sorry but isn't it illegal to discharge a fire arm inside city limits?
Seems to me that cancels out any cultural issues. /shrug

Angela

Old January 1st 04, 05:19 AM
toypup

"Ali's Daddie" wrote in message
Our neighborhood is predominantly Hispanic and so several times a year we
get this shooting all night long (July 4th, Cinco De Mayo, Halloween, and
any other "reason" to get drunk and stupid). Even calling the police with
the address (our neighbors shoot several times a year) they either do
nothing, or they tell us (the 911 operator) that it is a cultural right to
shoot into the air and so it is not considered an emergency. So if my
daughter gets hit by one of these bullets, will the police do anything?
Doubtful because it is a "cultural right"

I lived in an area that was largely hispanic and they also shot guns in the
air on New Year's Eve. You could hear the shots ring out like firecrackers.
It was illegal. However, it was difficult for me to tell who was doing it
as I could only hear it in the distance and I had no intention of
investigating. Just wanted to stay hidden from the flying bullets.

Old January 1st 04, 05:34 AM
Night Owl

Also, I do NOT think that Hispanics are the only people doing this. I am
originally from Texas, and I have always dealt with this issue. Just not

the extreme I am now. Usually, in Texas, people (including several uncles

of
mine) would shoot into the air at holidays and celebrations.

It isn't only Hispanics... no...

Ok, I'm finished ranting for now, but I doubt this is the last anyone will
hear from me on the subject.

--
LES!

We have something here... it is a law named after a child (can't remember
the name)? A child was killed here and her parents got a law going that a
person will be arrested and prosecuted if they shoot of ftheir guns! It's
nothing to hide under a bridge from... go out and get the ba*tards I say!

Anni

Old January 2nd 04, 01:56 AM
Heather

*snipped racist remarks regarding "hispanic" cultures*

Being Mexican, I was rather insulted by some of the posts here. First,
shooting into the air is not a "hispanic" tradition, in fact I don't
even know where or how it started as I couldn't find it in any history
books or with a quick web search. Holidays predominately celebrated by
Hispanic or Mexican ethnic groups are not "excuses" to be "drunk and
stupid". Before remarks like this are made, perhaps you should do a
little research and buff up on history. Day of the Dead is not a
Mexican "halloween". It is a sacred day where families spend time
together, pray and yes, celebrate their deceased family members. Gifts
are provided for the deceased person to carry with them into the next
portion of their soul's journey. By celebrate I do not mean they drink
and act foolishly, I mean that family and friends gather and remember
the deceased person. As for Cinco de Mayo, the big "party hardy" type
celebrations actually developed in the United States. It is not
Mexico's Independce day as many people think. That would actually be
September 16th. Cinco de Mayo actually commemorates May 5, 1862 when
General Ignacio Zaragoza defeated the French Army in the Battle of
Puebla. With forces smaller and less equipped, the Mexican defenses
were able to defeat the French Army. This victory was a turning point
for more than one country. Had the French, led by Napoleon, been
victorious, it is unlikely that the United States would of been
successful under attack as the US was in the throes of Civil War. Hmm,
a celebration for those who fight for freedom and against oppression..
sound familiar? Isn't that something revered by *all* Americans? As
for the "when they come to the US". *I* was born in the US. I'm still
Mexican and quite happy to learn about and practice the beliefs and
traditions of my ancestors.

Heather H.
Old January 2nd 04, 04:24 AM
Ali's Daddie

"Heather" wrote in message
| *snipped racist remarks regarding "hispanic" cultures*
|
| Being Mexican, I was rather insulted by some of the posts here. First,
| shooting into the air is not a "hispanic" tradition, in fact I don't
| even know where or how it started as I couldn't find it in any history
| books or with a quick web search. Holidays predominately celebrated by
| Hispanic or Mexican ethnic groups are not "excuses" to be "drunk and
| stupid". Before remarks like this are made, perhaps you should do a
| little research and buff up on history.
| As for Cinco de Mayo, the big "party hardy" type
| celebrations actually developed in the United States.
| Hmm,
| a celebration for those who fight for freedom and against oppression..
| sound familiar? Isn't that something revered by *all* Americans? As
| for the "when they come to the US". *I* was born in the US. I'm still
| Mexican and quite happy to learn about and practice the beliefs and
| traditions of my ancestors.
|
| Heather H.

For the record, I admitted that i was unsure if this was an Hispanic
cultural thing But that the local news says it is. I do not represent the
local news, therefore, please do not put words in my mouth.

And I did say "an excuse to get drunk and stupid" But I was not referring to
any specific race. I was referring to what most Americans consider an excuse
to do the drinking and (to quote my grandpa) "act a fool" lol. Also, read a
little bit more. aka, "research" because i did say that my family has
participated in this idiocy in the past.

When I mentioned specific holidays, including Cinco De Maya, I was using it
as an example. Because no matter what people might believe, holidays are an
excuse to party in most peoples eyes. Whether or not it is your cultural
holiday, religious holiday, etc... (Heck, local frat boys celebrate each
moon phase just for an excuse to get drunk lol)

And, please do not think that I am racist in any way. I never have been, and
I have always been a very active participant in equality for all people. no
matter what the race, religion,.. you get the picture ;-)

What my point was is this:

People are doing this stupidity on major holidays, and the police refuse to
do anything about it. I would think that instead of jumping to conclusions
about what I said, you would be just as outraged as I was to hear the police
would be hiding from the crime instead of fighting it.

I would also be the last person that needed a history lesson, as I am
currently completely involved and obsessed with all Mexican (and central
American) history. Sort of a hobby of mine ;-) Well, ok, mostly Mayan, but
still...

Old January 2nd 04, 05:40 AM
toto

On Thu, 1 Jan 2004 21:24:47 -0700, "Ali's Daddie"
wrote:

"Heather" wrote in message
| *snipped racist remarks regarding "hispanic" cultures*
|
| Being Mexican, I was rather insulted by some of the posts here. First,
| shooting into the air is not a "hispanic" tradition, in fact I don't
| even know where or how it started as I couldn't find it in any history
| books or with a quick web search. Holidays predominately celebrated by
| Hispanic or Mexican ethnic groups are not "excuses" to be "drunk and
| stupid". Before remarks like this are made, perhaps you should do a
| little research and buff up on history.
| As for Cinco de Mayo, the big "party hardy" type
| celebrations actually developed in the United States.
| Hmm,
| a celebration for those who fight for freedom and against oppression..
| sound familiar? Isn't that something revered by *all* Americans? As
| for the "when they come to the US". *I* was born in the US. I'm still
| Mexican and quite happy to learn about and practice the beliefs and
| traditions of my ancestors.
|
| Heather H.

For the record, I admitted that i was unsure if this was an Hispanic
cultural thing But that the local news says it is. I do not represent the
local news, therefore, please do not put words in my mouth.

You are backpedaling, Les!

Despite your insistence, your rant was quite racist in its wording
even if not in its intent. Better part of valor would be to simply
apologize and leave it at that.

Your words:
Our neighborhood is predominantly Hispanic and so several
times a year we get this shooting all night long. (July 4th, Cinco De
Mayo, Halloween, and any other "reason" to get drunk and stupid).
Even calling the police with the address (our neighbors shoot
several times a year) they either do nothing, or they tell us (the
911 operator) that it is a cultural right to shoot into the air and so
it is not considered an emergency.

Btw, if your 911 operators do say such things, they are obviously
racist themselves.

And I did say "an excuse to get drunk and stupid" But I was not
referring to any specific race. I was referring to what most
Americans consider an excuse to do the drinking and (to quote
my grandpa) "act a fool" lol. Also, read a little bit more. aka,
"research" because i did say that my family has participated
in this idiocy in the past.

As an American whose family has never participated in any such
idiocy, it offends me that you lump all Americans into this kind of
category as much as it offends me that you lump Hispanics into
such a category.

When I mentioned specific holidays, including Cinco De Maya,

You might at least spell the holiday correctly. it's Cinco de Mayo,
not Maya.

I was using it as an example.

What you chose was specifically Mexican because of your prior
words.

Because no matter what people might believe, holidays are an
excuse to party in most peoples eyes. Whether or not it is your
cultural holiday, religious holiday, etc...

For some of us, however, partying does not include getting drunk
or shooting guns into the air. Neither of these are part of my
culture though I have relatives who drink. In fact, though most
drink in moderation and rarely celebrate in the way you refer to.

(Heck, local frat boys celebrate each moon phase just for an
excuse to get drunk lol)

Yes, but your words had nothing to do with young white males
who belong to fraternities.

And, please do not think that I am racist in any way. I never
have been, and I have always been a very active participant
in equality for all people. no matter what the race, religion,..
you get the picture ;-)

Being an active participant in achieving equal rights does not
preclude having some racism within that needs to be addressed.
It is quite rare for people to talk honestly with one another about
racial stereotyping even when they are friends with many people
of various races. The only forum I have been involved with that
addressed this is one with other teachers at my former school
where we were attempting to build community and to see all of
ourselves honestly. It was not and is not easy to do.

What my point was is this:

People are doing this stupidity on major holidays, and the police
refuse to do anything about it. I would think that instead of
jumping to conclusions about what I said, you would be just
as outraged as I was to hear the police would be hiding from
the crime instead of fighting it.

I am outraged that the police are not patrolling and not doing
what they should. OTOH, it would help no one if a policeman
were killed or wounded in the course of that patrol because
he stepped out into a situation where a bullet that was fired into
the air could come down and injure him.

Interestingly, the stories I found online about this practice involved
police educating the public about the effects of such firing and
saying that this was illegal and that they would arrest those who
engaged in the practice. This is the case in New Orleans and in
Los Angeles at the very least and I am sure it was true in Chicago
as well. I would suggest that some activism in your town is called
for here so that this does not continue to happen on future holidays.

I would also be the last person that needed a history lesson,
as I am currently completely involved and obsessed with all
Mexican (and central American) history. Sort of a hobby of
mine ;-) Well, ok, mostly Mayan, but still...

Interesting, but not relevant to what you actually said in your
rant.

--
Dorothy

The Outer Limits
Old January 2nd 04, 07:16 AM
P. Tierney

"Ali's Daddie" wrote:

I would also be the last person that needed a history lesson, as I am
currently completely involved and obsessed with all Mexican (and central
American) history. Sort of a hobby of mine ;-) Well, ok, mostly Mayan, but
still...

That's sort of like a white person saying a racist (towards
African-American)
remark and try to make it "okay" by saying, "But some of my best friends are
black!" In other words, it's irrelevant.

I didn't think that your post was completely terrible, but the notion
that
you don't think that the police would do anything if your daughter got
shot shows that you aren't quite thinking clearly.

P.
Tierney

Old January 2nd 04, 08:20 AM
dragonlady

In article ,
"Ali's Daddie" wrote:

[...]

I know this "tradition" has existed in various areas, and I know it
happens around here, too. The police response seems odd -- but I'm
wondering if making this announcement in such a public way may have been
an attempt to get some attention to this issue, which many people STILL
don't take seriously. I'm hoping it was more a PR thing, and that it
gets some serious public debate going about a way to put an end to this
particular stupidity.