What Does the Hospital Give You?

Old October 28th 03, 06:28 PM
Usenet Fan

Default What Does the Hospital Give You?

I've been told by a few people not to buy some things because the
hospital will send us home with some stuff. Here are some things
mentioned:

Bulb suction syringe
Baby nail clippers
Baby hairbrush/comb

Plus, I was told that they also send you home with a baby hat and
receiving blanket, a few diapers and some special wipes for the first
few days. And then whatever stuff that companies have provided
(formula samples, wipe samples, etc.)

I would imagine it varies by hospital, but what did your hospital give
you that you could take home?

Thanks,
Robin

#1 EDD early December 2003
34 1/2 weeks and still breech. About to try moxibustion to turn bub.
Old October 28th 03, 06:54 PM
Rob and Laura

I really did not get much to take home. If there were diapers left I got to
take them and also her blanket she was wrapped up in at night, nothing else.
Well some books about taking care of the baby and breastfeeding.
They did not even put a hat on her and did not cut her nails.

--
Laura
Mommy to Izabella **Feb 10th, 2003**

#1 EDD early December 2003
34 1/2 weeks and still breech. About to try moxibustion to turn bub.

Old October 28th 03, 07:04 PM
JennP

"Usenet Fan" wrote in message
I've been told by a few people not to buy some things because the
hospital will send us home with some stuff. Here are some things
mentioned:

Bulb suction syringe
Baby nail clippers
Baby hairbrush/comb

Plus, I was told that they also send you home with a baby hat and
receiving blanket, a few diapers and some special wipes for the first
few days. And then whatever stuff that companies have provided
(formula samples, wipe samples, etc.)

I would imagine it varies by hospital, but what did your hospital give
you that you could take home?

It does vary. At my hospital they gave us a washtub, nail files, kimono
shirts, receiving blankets, comb/brush, vaseline, bulb syringe, Lansinoh
cream sample, cloth diapers. No wipes or disposable diapers. Certainly no
formula since they were a certified WHO Baby Friendly hospital.
--
JennP.

mom to Matthew 10/11/00
remove "no........spam" to reply

Old October 28th 03, 07:07 PM
Kari

"Usenet Fan" wrote in message
I've been told by a few people not to buy some things because the
hospital will send us home with some stuff. Here are some things
mentioned:

Bulb suction syringe
Baby nail clippers
Baby hairbrush/comb

Plus, I was told that they also send you home with a baby hat and
receiving blanket, a few diapers and some special wipes for the first
few days. And then whatever stuff that companies have provided
(formula samples, wipe samples, etc.)

I would imagine it varies by hospital, but what did your hospital give
you that you could take home?

I got a diaper bag filled with coupons and samples of dreft, oxyclean, rash
cream, wipes, diapers, etc. Also a package of newborn pampers, baby wash,
shampoo, powder, clippers, a bulb syringe, 2 hats, and a blanket. He also
got a silver spoon, a sippy cup (which I gave to my older son) and a few
onesies with the hospital name on it.
For me I got 2 packs of maxi pads (yeehaw, lol) lansinoh, deoderant, face
wash, toothbrush and toothpaste, TONS of magazines and articles which I
still haven't looked through.

Kari
mom to Kaylie (7) Noah (4) and Xander (4 weeks)

Old October 28th 03, 07:24 PM
Plissken

"Usenet Fan" wrote in message
I've been told by a few people not to buy some things because the
hospital will send us home with some stuff. Here are some things
mentioned:

Bulb suction syringe
Baby nail clippers
Baby hairbrush/comb

Plus, I was told that they also send you home with a baby hat and
receiving blanket, a few diapers and some special wipes for the first
few days. And then whatever stuff that companies have provided
(formula samples, wipe samples, etc.)

I would imagine it varies by hospital, but what did your hospital give
you that you could take home?

I got a hat and I'm not even sure I was supposed to keep that! I took some
pads and their very attractive (not) mesh underwear, but they certainly
didn't give it to me. I don't believe the hospital here gives out samples
from companies, especially formula as they are supposed to be
pro-breastfeeding. Why don't you just give the hospital a call and ask them
what they will send you home with?

Nadene

Old October 28th 03, 07:34 PM
DeliciousTruffles

Plissken wrote:

I got a hat and I'm not even sure I was supposed to keep that! I took some
pads and their very attractive (not) mesh underwear, but they certainly
didn't give it to me. I don't believe the hospital here gives out samples
from companies, especially formula as they are supposed to be
pro-breastfeeding. Why don't you just give the hospital a call and ask them
what they will send you home with?

Same hospital. Two years ago I got hats and formula. Lots of formula.

I had to use my own diapers and changing supplies after the first day.

--
Brigitte aa #2145
edd #3 February 15, 2004

~ Harriet Martineau

Old October 28th 03, 08:20 PM
Irrational Number

Usenet Fan wrote:

I would imagine it varies by hospital, but what did your hospital give
you that you could take home?

We did not get nail clippers or brush. We
did get a suction thing, but we got extra
anyway, so that I could put one in the crib,
the bassinet, the pack 'n play in the family
room... everywhere the baby slept.

They also gave us a baby hat, blanket, diapers,
alcohol wipes, special wipes for changing
diapers, thermometer, and formula.

Everything was helpful, except the formula.
I would suggest you buy what you want anyway,
because you may want to keep an extra set in
the diaper bag(s) or at your parents' house
or whatever.

(Bringing back fond memories of the whole
birth experience...)

-- Anita --

Old October 28th 03, 08:50 PM
SuperEeyore

Usenet Fan wrote:
I've been told by a few people not to buy some things because the
hospital will send us home with some stuff. Here are some things
mentioned:

Bulb suction syringe

That syringe was awesome! None of the ones given to me via baby shower came
nearly as close as useful as the one that came home from the hospital!

I would imagine it varies by hospital, but what did your hospital give
you that you could take home?

They gave me a baby care manual but didn't bother telling me it was there
until I left so by the time I actually read it, I figured it out on my own.
=oP

And... it's been a year and a half...

two diapers were left in her drawer.
mesh baby wipes
a plastic comb
the original hat they put on her when she was first born
a gift hat some nurse made
not the hats she wore in the hospital otherwise
not the shirt she was wearing (weird part is Juliet had such trouble with
the arms of it anyways, lol)
not the receiving blankets
two bags of formula sponsored breastfeeding stuff (I always felt weird
carrying those bags around)
a message from the state of California
a couple please remember to vaccinate photo frame magnets

That's it I think...

Laurel
--
bmom to Bj 4-12-96
and mommy to Juliet 4-13-02

Old October 28th 03, 09:42 PM
Jacqui

Usenet Fan wibbled

I would imagine it varies by hospital, but what did your hospital
give you that you could take home?

Much different situation over here in the UK (state healthcare, not
insurance-funded) but thought it might be interesting to compare... :-)

I brought home from the hospital:
maxi sanitary pads
a large amount of OTC-type painkillers (generic
paracetamol[acetaminophen] and ibuprofen) as well as the prescription
ones for my c-section
half a dozen newborn Pampers, leftovers from T's SCBU issue
'Bounty' New Baby bags* containing Nivea skin cream for me, Sudocrem
and Bepanthen nappy cream samples, Pampers samples and a relaxation CD,
*tons* of Johnson & Johnson baby products (bath, oil, shampoo, powder
etc), baby toothpaste and toothbrush, Dettol sample, Lenor fabric
conditioner, Fairy and Persil washing powder samples, Pampers wipes and
holder, huge amount of money-off coupons.
Other than that all we got were his tags, cot card, and the polaroids
from his time in SCBU. I also got some 'first foods' samples from Cow &
Gate (BBE spring 2004 so they'll be fine when he's ready for food) but
that was through a regular clinic that was coincidentally held before I
left hospital.

* We also can get Pregnancy and Toddler bags from this promotion. What
you get in each varies from batch to batch, but the pregnancy one I got
was all pampering products and breast pads, which was nice. No formula
is promoted in these at all. I actually got a second New Baby set of
bags when I went back in at 6 weeks pp - the distributor left it while
I was asleep, obviously not noticing that T was not a newborn! The
content changed slightly, although the J&J baby products were still
there, possibly the best bit of the whole scheme.

Hmm, I've just remembered we can go and claim a bag of goodies from our
local Tesco too, if I can find the coupon...

Jac

Old October 29th 03, 01:49 AM
Leanne

Bulb suction syringe

Excuse my complete ignorance, but whats a blub suction syringe?

TIA

Leanne (whos new at this)
EDD: 23rd april 2004