What Does the Hospital Give You?

Old October 29th 03, 05:25 PM
Carolyn Jean Fairman

Default What Does the Hospital Give You?

In article 48Inb.38210$mZ5.212385@attbi_s54,
"Rob and Laura" wrote in message
I really did not get much to take home. If there were diapers left
I got to take them and also her blanket she was wrapped up in at
night, nothing else. Well some books about taking care of the baby
and breastfeeding. They did not even put a hat on her and did not
cut her nails.

I told the ped I cut DS's nail a few weeks after he was born and he
said it wasn't advisable before 1 month because it causes ingrown
nails. DS didn't have that problem, but I did accidentally nip off a
bit of his thumb . Someone on this ng said to use the nail
scissors instead of clippers and they do work much better. I still
use nail scissors for his nails.

I liked to use a file (emory board?), because then the nail was also
smooth. I know when I clip my nails, or ds's nails, there are often
points left and as a baby ds would be guarenteed a scratch if I didn't
file those, and in the end it was easier just to file each nail!

I birthed ds at Kaiser and *everything* said 'Hospital Property'.
They didn't let you take any baby stuff, though they would give out
books and samples. I don't remember formula stuff -- they are very
pro-breastfeeding, so since I was doing that maybe they marked my
chart and didn't offer.

--Carolyn
ds #2 due 2-16-2004, or around then!
--
Carolyn Fairman
http://www.stanford.edu/~cfairman/
Old October 29th 03, 07:46 PM
Daye

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 18:04:17 -0800, "SuperEeyore"
wrote:

It's also called a nasal asperator. It's like a mini turkey baster for
infant noses... lol.

In our family, they have always been called "booger snatchers."

--
Daye
Momma to Jayan
Old October 29th 03, 07:53 PM
Daye

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 19:57:48 +1100, "alissa"
wrote:

I also had to leave on day 5 after a c/s eventhough she wasn't
feeding, I was told I had to bottle feed.....baby friendly I think not, but
no free samples.

I wonder where the hospital was. My hospital (a public hospital in
the Melbourne 'burbs) is trying to be accredited by WHO, so they are
baby friendly. They encourage breast feeding, and if you are having
problems, you can stay longer to help it become established.

Old October 29th 03, 08:40 PM
John & Sara

Wow I didn't get to take anything home with my first and only one receiving
blanket with my second. Cheap Canadian hospital! :-p

I agree! I called my hospital today to find out what they will send
me home with, and they said whatever I bring in for the baby.

Sara
34+5
Old October 29th 03, 09:31 PM
toypup

"Carolyn Jean Fairman" wrote in message
I birthed ds at Kaiser and *everything* said 'Hospital Property'.
They didn't let you take any baby stuff, though they would give out
books and samples. I don't remember formula stuff -- they are very
pro-breastfeeding, so since I was doing that maybe they marked my
chart and didn't offer.

I had DS at Kaiser and got everything that ever touched DS, since they were
"disposable," meaning they didn't wash and reuse. That included the little
tub they washed him in, nasal aspirator, blanket, hat, etc. I also got the
formula company bag, had a choice of two bags from opposing companies. It
was filled with formula, diapers, coupons, etc. They were somewhat pro-BF,
but a lot of their policy or nursing staff weren't really into it. I mean,
I got an LC and pump, but I also got a nurse who wouldn't bring me the pump
until morning (after the LC made a stink), a nurse who didn't believe in
nipple confusion, DS got a bottle of sugar water before I ever knew about
it, they bottlefed him for most of his first 10 days (I couldn't BF because
he'd stop breathing) and didn't give any of the colostrum I had pumped for
him, etc. I also got whatever I used or had opened for me, like Tucks pads,
water pitcher, etc.

I plan to BF my second, as well, but I'm looking forward to the formula
companies' bags. There are lots of goodies inside, even if you don't use
the formula. We did end up combi-feeding because I had to work. Pumping
and BF'ing exclusively just wasn't working. You never know.

Old October 29th 03, 11:55 PM

wrote:

It's also called a nasal asperator. It's like a mini turkey baster for
infant noses... lol.

In our family, they have always been called "booger snatchers."

Oh THOSE things! Lol, now I know what you are talking about. I always called
it a booger-picker..ours was green, (yuck!)

Old October 30th 03, 12:39 AM
Leanne

I would imagine it varies by hospital, but what did your hospital give
you that you could take home?

In Australia, nothing. I had to supply everything. I did use their
nappy service while in the hospital, but I paid for it.

Thats quite strange, I know in Renmark hospital and Alice Springs hospital
they give you a bag full of stuff to take home, samples, nappies, etc.

Which hospital were you in??

Old October 30th 03, 01:57 AM
Fer

I wonder if it has something to do with American private hospitals? But as
far as some of the hospitals mentioned that require you to bring everything
in for the babe, are they not considered to be patients?

--

Jenn
-WAHM

om...

Old October 30th 03, 03:00 AM
Daye

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 10:09:53 +0930, "Leanne"
wrote:

Thats quite strange, I know in Renmark hospital and Alice Springs hospital
they give you a bag full of stuff to take home, samples, nappies, etc.

Sure, you get a small bag of samples, but the long and the short of it
is that none of it is enough to keep a baby for 2 days. In my mind,
that is nothing, esp. when you compare to what some mothers in the US
gets.

Which hospital were you in??

One in Melbourne.