Valtrex use during preg?

Old October 30th 03, 12:42 PM
sab

Default Valtrex use during preg?

I had an outbreak of herpes 10 yrs ago. now I am due in 2 weeks and have
been give VALTREX.
Any body with any comments about any harmful affects on the baby?

Thanks
Sab

Old October 31st 03, 12:29 AM
Auntie Bubbles

"sab" wrote in message
I had an outbreak of herpes 10 yrs ago. now I am due in 2 weeks and have
been give VALTREX.
Any body with any comments about any harmful affects on the baby?

Thanks
Sab

Hi there, I have herpes, and took Valtrex for occasional outbreaks until I
got pregnant. My OB said that it hasn't been tested enough on pregnant
women, and he gave me Zovirax instead.
Zovirax was pretty much ineffective for the one outbreak I have had since I
have been pregnant. I asked him about it again, he said it is the medicine
that he considers safe, but I was concerned about the info that I found on
it at the www.safefetus.com website. I have decided not to use either drug
and just let any possible subsequent outbreaks run their own course while
I'm pregnant. I would rather live with the discomfort than worry about side
effects. If I have an outbreak at the time of delivery, I will worry about
it then. You may want to check out the website and ask your OB about it
again. Good luck;

Auntie Bubbles
(Alexis) EDD 4/21/04, child #1

Old October 31st 03, 05:55 AM
CY

It is very very dangerous to deliver a baby (vaginally)while having an out
break of herpes. It can cause all kinds of very serious problems in the
newborn. If I were you I would definitely make sure that you get treated
for it if you do happen to have an outbreak (though most physicians will
advise a c-section delivery in that case)...

Good luck w/your baby.

Old October 31st 03, 06:19 AM
sab

I had my weekly appointment today. The doctor said the same thing as CY has
said that it is very dangerous to have a herpes while giving birth,
therefore the use of taking VALTRAX out-weighs it adverse effect ( which are
non-existent, non reported as yet ) Now, considering the facts of the
matter I have started taking the medicine as a precautionary measure so I
don't break out with herpes.

Please do consider the fact and make a wise choice. the website you have
sent says the same think as the my doctor has said: " Limited human data
available, but no fetal adverse effects reported when used throughout
gestation".

Thank you for your feedback

Good luck
Sab

Old October 31st 03, 11:53 PM
Auntie Bubbles

"CY" wrote in message
It is very very dangerous to deliver a baby (vaginally)while having an out
break of herpes. It can cause all kinds of very serious problems in the
newborn. If I were you I would definitely make sure that you get treated
for it if you do happen to have an outbreak (though most physicians will
advise a c-section delivery in that case)...

Good luck w/your baby.

CY and sab;
I may not have written too clearly about my intentions, I will attend to
any outbreaks near or at the time of delivery as my OB instructs me to, and
I have NO intentions of attempting a vaginal delivery if I am having one. I
just don't intend to medicate myself for them during the pregnancy unless
they are unbearable, and they are not, they are just inconvenient and
uncomfortable. Thanks for your concern and good wishes.

Question on Weight Gain during preg. Dotnet_Is_Love General 3 December 15th 03 01:15 PM
5min stick says im preg. but doc says no Lisa General 2 December 3rd 03 01:46 AM
?'s about early preg ultrasound Henrietta Louise Pregnancy 15 July 30th 03 02:54 AM
preg test Debjit Mukherjee Pregnancy 1 July 23rd 03 06:30 PM
preg test TOM Pregnancy 0 July 23rd 03 05:15 PM