6wk old sleeping 11 hours at a time

Old July 26th 07, 10:28 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Karen \(LG\)

Default 6wk old sleeping 11 hours at a time

My S-I-L's 6 weeks old, Brogan, is sleeping from 8pm to 7am every night.

I'm a little worried that a baby of such a young age should sleep for so
long, her health visitor doesn't seem too concerned, is it just me who is?

--
LG

--
Please sponsor my childminding toddlers for barnados big toddle 2007
http://www.justgiving.com/cliftonchildminder

Old July 26th 07, 10:32 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Ericka Kammerer

Karen (LG) wrote:
My S-I-L's 6 weeks old, Brogan, is sleeping from 8pm to 7am every night.

I'm a little worried that a baby of such a young age should sleep for so
long, her health visitor doesn't seem too concerned, is it just me who is?

It's unusual, but if the baby is thriving and gaining
weight appropriately, I wouldn't worry.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old July 26th 07, 11:01 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Lucy-lu

"Karen (LG)" wrote in message
My S-I-L's 6 weeks old, Brogan, is sleeping from 8pm to 7am every night.

I'm a little worried that a baby of such a young age should sleep for so
long, her health visitor doesn't seem too concerned, is it just me who is?

--
LG

--
Please sponsor my childminding toddlers for barnados big toddle 2007
http://www.justgiving.com/cliftonchildminder
--
Need a childminder in or around NG11 Nottingham?
http://www.freewebs.com/cliftonchildminder/index.htm
--

At that age Jessie was sleeping through from 9pm - 7am... Keep him in that
strict routine and she'll be a happy mummy indeed At 13 months, that is

Lucy x

Old July 26th 07, 11:11 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Karen \(LG\)

Any tips on getting a baby into that sort of routine.

My 9 week old barely sleeps 2 hours at a time.

Old July 26th 07, 11:29 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Anne Rogers[_4_]

Karen (LG) wrote:
My S-I-L's 6 weeks old, Brogan, is sleeping from 8pm to 7am every night.

I'm a little worried that a baby of such a young age should sleep for so
long, her health visitor doesn't seem too concerned, is it just me who is?

formula or breastfed? if breastfed, I'd be a tad anxious about milk
supply long term and a little suspicious of the ability to sleep that
long, if formula fed, as long as weight gain is fine, then sleeping is
fine too, if breastfed, I'd be tempted to pick him up and feed him at
bed time, the age is the point where supply is switching over from
hormone driven to supply and demand, I'm probably a little bit cautious
about this due to a massive supply drop at this stage with my first.

Cheers
Anne
Old July 26th 07, 11:31 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Jamie Clark

Probably. If the baby is eating enough during the day, weighs enough, and
is not losing weight, then all is well. A small sized baby at 6 weeks would
likely not be sleeping throught the night, but a large sized baby, in the
80th-90th perctile, might well.

She should consider herself lucky, as it's not the norm.
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Old July 26th 07, 11:33 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Jamie Clark

What's the size difference between the two? Is yours a little peanut, and
hers a big baby?

--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Old July 26th 07, 11:34 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Anne Rogers[_4_]

Karen (LG) wrote:
Any tips on getting a baby into that sort of routine.

My 9 week old barely sleeps 2 hours at a time.

how quickly do you pick him up to feed him? babies do have a sleep cycle
about that long and they may move to a very light sleep where they make
some noise, which the natural assumption is that they are awake and you
might as well get on with feeding sooner rather than later, but if the
first time he does this, you firstly wait a little while to see if he
really is awake, then try some other things to get him back to sleep,
you may manage to stretch the feedings out - but then again you may not!
My DD is now 2 and as far as I'm concerned she sleeps through and has
done for ages, but if I happen to be awake in the night, I sometimes
here her yell for a minute or so, then hear nothing more, same happens
from time to time about 1.5hrs into a nap.

Cheers
Anne
Old July 27th 07, 04:08 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
cjra

On Jul 26, 4:28 pm, "Karen \(LG\)" wrote:
My S-I-L's 6 weeks old, Brogan, is sleeping from 8pm to 7am every night.

I'm a little worried that a baby of such a young age should sleep for so
long, her health visitor doesn't seem too concerned, is it just me who is?

--

Can that 6 week old come over and talk to my 12 month old and explain
this sleeping through the night thing? ;-)

-mom to a DD who thinks every 3 hours is a good time to wake up.

Five hours of ... Bev Single Parents 0 January 8th 06 05:42 PM
6 hours!!! Jo Breastfeeding 40 December 4th 05 08:22 PM
How much EBM for 2 hours? CY Breastfeeding 7 October 24th 05 07:35 PM
interesting 24 hours Anne Rogers Pregnancy 13 November 15th 04 07:12 AM
peer reviewed research on co-sleeping (it's more dangerous than cot-sleeping) Joshua Levy General 1 December 10th 03 05:27 AM