6wk old sleeping 11 hours at a time

Old July 27th 07, 11:51 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Karen \(LG\)

Default 6wk old sleeping 11 hours at a time

From what age were you ''firm'' ? Is 9 weeks too young for such a routine?

My DD2 is 2yr she goes to bed at 8pm and sleeps till 7am then has a nap
1-3pm. She was a similar baby to DS2.

"Lucy-lu" wrote in message
Not really, I was just firm with her. At 9pm she went to bed, whether she
was sleepy or not,and I just fed her or sat with her. Didn't take her long
to started getting very sleepy every night around 9pm. She went through a
phase of waking for a feed at midnight, so I started feeding her at 11.50
so that she didn't wake up and that seemed to break that. If she ever
woke during the night, I wouldn't put the light on, and wouldn't say more
than shhh to her, so she learnt that waking up is no fun...

That said, I've learnt more as she's got older that I'll definitely start
from birth if I have #2. I have a CD with 3 songs on - Ave Maria, Pie Jesu
and Panis Angelicus (performed by Celtic Woman). I put the CD on in her
room, turn off all but the smallest light (stubbed toes in a new house
hurt!) give her her milk and she's usually asleep by the time the second
track. I put her in her cot and switch of the light and the stereo and
she's done for the night.

As for daytime naps, it changes as they change, but once she started being
awake more in the day, I realised that she was tired again 3 hours after
waking. I put her down for an hour then, and then again every three hours
until 4pm (waking at five) so that she had an extra hour to stay awake so
that she was really tired at bedtime and was pleased to see her bed. I
gradually stretched out the amount of time she was awake, and now she
(still wakes at 7) has her nap around 1-3pm and then stays awake until
9pm.

I hope you get some sleep soon hun x

Lucy x

Old July 28th 07, 01:12 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Anne Rogers[_4_]

Karen (LG) wrote:
Do breastfed babies ''usually'' feed every 3 hours?

''The Rules'' seems to change everytime I have a baby. I was told with DD2
that 3 hourly feeds were the norm as breast milk is less filling than
formula.

3 hours - be nice to get DS2 to go that long.

well the mantra is really "feed on demand", but it's natural to ask how
often that is likely to be, 8-12 feedings per day seems to be a figure
commonly mentioned, which works out at 2-3hrly. Though the reason it's
number of feeds rather than timing between feeds is that you would
expect some variation of that through the day. It does sound as if you
have a pretty high needs baby and there really isn't all that much you
can do to change that. There are so many different styles of parenting,
some will offer the breast as soon as the baby murmurs, others will
stick to a strict feeding routine, even though that's not recommended
and can lead to failure to thrive. The chances are things will gradually
space out, but the age he is now, I think you mostly have to respond to
what he seems to be requesting, whilst keeping an eye open for all the
different signs he does make, for example in the day time and at bed
time, are you putting him down to sleep soon enough? Improved daytime
naps tend to improve night time sleep, an overtired baby doesn't sleep well.

Anne
Old July 28th 07, 01:28 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Anne Rogers[_4_]

The norm I believe is about 4oz a wek? How much was your little one gaining
a week, mine is gaining 10oz a week !! Breastfed !!

Expected weight gain over the course of the first year is lower for
breastfed babies - but remember that this means the other ones are
gaining too much, not the breastfed ones gaining too little.

But it's not so well known that breastfed babies actually gain faster at
first, which is a testimony to what good food breastmilk is, so piling
on 10oz in a week is not abnormal.

Remember that the chart in your red book is not based on exclusively
breastfed babies, but a mixture of feeding methods, differing times of
starting solids, a variety of racial groups, it's not really all that
much helpful in figuring out what is normal for your baby. The best
measures are hydration - 6-8 wet nappies a day and alertness and
development.

Cheers
Anne
Old July 28th 07, 01:30 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Ericka Kammerer

Karen (LG) wrote:

#1 slept 12 hours a night at 8 weeks. But her weight gain (breast fed) was
above the normal expected.

The norm I believe is about 4oz a wek? How much was your little one gaining
a week, mine is gaining 10oz a week !! Breastfed !!

Her bedtime routine was bath, 15-20 minutes feed on each side, bed.

15-20 mins each side? My little one gulps very fast for about 5, takes ages
to wind then same other side !!

Some do gain a lot, even though breastfed. Over the
first month or two my first averaged two ounces per day, which
we already thought was huge, but my second averaged gaining
four onces per day, which completely shocked us. He wasn't
even roly-poly. He was just a big kid with an appetite.
Number three was more modest, and I think closer to 1 oz/day
in the first couple of months.
None of mine ever nursed more than 10 minutes total
at a time. I rapidly got to the point where they only nursed
on one side at a time. It seemed rather pointless to switch
sides when they were nursing so quickly.
Mine did sleep well. They woke at night (every
3-4 hours in the first month or two), but ate quickly and
went right back to sleep.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old July 28th 07, 10:50 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Lucy-lu

"Karen (LG)" wrote in message
news
From what age were you ''firm'' ? Is 9 weeks too young for such a routine?

My DD2 is 2yr she goes to bed at 8pm and sleeps till 7am then has a nap
1-3pm. She was a similar baby to DS2.

I was a firm meanie - I started putting her to bed at nine at around the end
of her first week, I started feeding her before she could wake at midnight
when she was around 3 weeks or so, and she was sleeping through at around 6
weeks. My brother did this with his DS and I saw how important it was to
have such a strong routine. If I don't put her to bed now at 9, she gets
stroppy until I do, but that's fine with me - I'd rather have it that way
round, than have my friend's DD, who is still running round like at loony at
gone 1am (her DD is 18 months). I've always settled her in the bedroom (ours
when she was in with us, and now I have a chair in her room) so that she
associates her room with sleep - I don't let her play in her room at the
moment, nor do I have any toys in her cot. I also try to put her in her cot
just before she falls asleep so that she doesn't wake up disorientated. I
was a little cross with DH as she used to settle herself in the cot, but he
started cuddling her to sleep, so she got used to that, but we compromise
now and cuddle her until she's just about asleep.

I just re-read all that, and realised that I really do look mean! But she
sleeps so well, as do we, and we all have a better day for it. She naps in
her cot too, so she gets a proper sleep, and is again used to having her
sleep there. Yes, I probably would have liked her in our bed, but because I
have narcolepsy, and DH smokes, I couldn't take any risks, but I'm kinda
glad that she has her own bed, and I've not had to get her settled
elsewhere. She gets plenty of cuddles during the day, and finds comfort in
her bed at night.

Lucy x

Old July 28th 07, 10:54 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Lucy-lu

Jessie was breastfed for 7 months, if that helps. My milk did drop for a
bit but I took fenugreek capsules, and used the break to express some milk
for freezing - thereby also increasing my breast supply.

I don't thinkl there are rules - they're all different.

Lucy x

"Karen (LG)" wrote in message
Do breastfed babies ''usually'' feed every 3 hours?

''The Rules'' seems to change everytime I have a baby. I was told with DD2
that 3 hourly feeds were the norm as breast milk is less filling than
formula.

3 hours - be nice to get DS2 to go that long.

"Anne Rogers" wrote in message
Karen (LG) wrote:
S-I-L IS Bottle

Mine is breastfed !!

It's not going to account for everything, but the difference is a known
one, bottle fed babies do tend to sleep for longer stretches earlier in
life, due to the fact that artificial milk is not so digestable, but
there are so many other factors, the techniques the parents use, where
the baby sleeps, the babies individual personality, the size of the baby
and so on.

Cheers
Anne

Old July 28th 07, 07:09 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Welches

"Karen (LG)" wrote in message

"Welches" wrote in message
news
What's his weight gain like? And how well does he sleep during the day?

S-I-L Baby weighed 9lb 4oz at birth now 10lb 13lb at 6 weeks,
She sleeps during the day too.

#1 slept 12 hours a night at 8 weeks. But her weight gain (breast fed)
was above the normal expected.

#1 gained about 1lb a week for a time. #2 didn't do that much but it was
about 8oz. #3's gaining about 10oz a week. All totally breastfed. Don't
really know what I do for that. I produce gold-top milk you see....
Debbie

Old July 28th 07, 09:15 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Jamie Clark

Lucy,
There is nothing "mean" in setting up a routine that works for you. We all
parent in different ways, and you've got yourself a bedtime routine that
works for you and your baby. Good for you! That same routine may not work
for another baby, and maybe the fact that your baby slept through the night
so soon had nothing to do with the routine, but it really doesn't matter.
It's your kid, it's your system, and it works for you. Nothing mean in
that!
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

"Lucy-lu" wrote in message

"Karen (LG)" wrote in message
news
From what age were you ''firm'' ? Is 9 weeks too young for such a
routine?

Old July 28th 07, 09:30 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Lucy-lu

Heh, thanks Jamie It doesn't feel mean when I'm putting her to bed, but I
guess that when put in words, I thought it looked kinda mean! I don't talk
to her, don't put the light on, and don't let her have an option about being
sleepy! lol, I don't care, I get to sleep too!

Lucy x

"Jamie Clark" wrote in message
. ..
Lucy,
There is nothing "mean" in setting up a routine that works for you. We
all parent in different ways, and you've got yourself a bedtime routine
that works for you and your baby. Good for you! That same routine may
not work for another baby, and maybe the fact that your baby slept through
the night so soon had nothing to do with the routine, but it really
doesn't matter. It's your kid, it's your system, and it works for you.
Nothing mean in that!
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:
Taylor Marlys -- 01/03/03
Addison Grace -- 09/30/04

"Lucy-lu" wrote in message

"Karen (LG)" wrote in message
news
From what age were you ''firm'' ? Is 9 weeks too young for such a
routine?

Old August 2nd 07, 02:15 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
xkatx

"Karen (LG)" wrote in message
My S-I-L's 6 weeks old, Brogan, is sleeping from 8pm to 7am every night.

I'm a little worried that a baby of such a young age should sleep for so
long, her health visitor doesn't seem too concerned, is it just me who is?

Alright, I see I'm a bit behind, but as long as baby is gaining weight and
otherwise seems like the general 'normal' baby, I wouldn't be too concerned.
One thing, from personal experience, that might be worth watching is if she
is bfing. If the baby is a breastfed baby, I'd try and watch that. DD1
slept a good 8 hours since the day she was born and was sleeping a full 12
hours at night by the time she was about 6 or 8 weeks old. One problem I
had was that bfing wasn't very well established. I wasn't getting the
demand from DD1 to get a good, strong supply, and my body was thinking it
didn't really need to do much over night. This caused some huge issues.
DD1 started to lose a good amount of weight (and by good I do mean bad) and
she was not happy while nursing.
If the baby is bottle fed formula or EBM that is being pumped on a regular
basis (or nursed and Mom pumps meanwhile in between) then it shouldn't be a
huge issue. These are more issues for Mom and not for baby, really, unless
baby loses weight or stops gaining a good amount of weight.
But, if bottle fed, then it shouldn't be a big deal. Lucky her for getting
a good sleep at night with such a little one! I was there, I absolutely
loved it, as DD1 slept fantastic, but the one downfall for me was nursing.

Five hours of ... Bev Single Parents 0 January 8th 06 05:42 PM
6 hours!!! Jo Breastfeeding 40 December 4th 05 08:22 PM
How much EBM for 2 hours? CY Breastfeeding 7 October 24th 05 07:35 PM
interesting 24 hours Anne Rogers Pregnancy 13 November 15th 04 07:12 AM
peer reviewed research on co-sleeping (it's more dangerous than cot-sleeping) Joshua Levy General 1 December 10th 03 05:27 AM