8 month old refusing to feed.

Old February 20th 08, 02:37 PM posted to misc.kids
Welches

Default 8 month old refusing to feed.

Yesterday #3 started refusing to breastfeed. He took a feed fine at 4am.
Then when I went for his morning feed he fed a little on one side, pulling
away often and crying, pulling his head back. When I tried the other side he
tried to bite me, but wouldn't feed.
Shortly later he did a huge poo, and I thought it was just that that made
him not want to feed.
Since then every time I've gone to feed him he's looked at me with sort of
frightened eyes and pulled away from me crying. He has fed twice when he's
been asleep enough to latch on without thinking about it.
I took him to the doctor who said she couldn't find anything wrong.
He's a bit floppy and miserable but he'd normally have a couple of big feeds
in this time, so I think this is normal.

Any suggestions?
Debbie

Old February 20th 08, 05:14 PM posted to misc.kids
Irrational Number

Welches wrote:

Yesterday #3 started refusing to breastfeed. He took a feed fine at 4am.
Then when I went for his morning feed he fed a little on one side, pulling
away often and crying, pulling his head back. When I tried the other side he
tried to bite me, but wouldn't feed.
Shortly later he did a huge poo, and I thought it was just that that made

He might be teething or a little under the
weather. Just keep offering, but don't push
it. He'll get back to it.

Meanwhile, you can look up "nursing strike"
in Google.

-- Anita --
Old February 20th 08, 05:19 PM posted to misc.kids
Rosalie B.

"Welches" wrote:

Yesterday #3 started refusing to breastfeed. He took a feed fine at 4am.
Then when I went for his morning feed he fed a little on one side, pulling
away often and crying, pulling his head back. When I tried the other side he
tried to bite me, but wouldn't feed.
Shortly later he did a huge poo, and I thought it was just that that made
him not want to feed.
Since then every time I've gone to feed him he's looked at me with sort of
frightened eyes and pulled away from me crying. He has fed twice when he's
been asleep enough to latch on without thinking about it.
I took him to the doctor who said she couldn't find anything wrong.
He's a bit floppy and miserable but he'd normally have a couple of big feeds
in this time, so I think this is normal.

Any suggestions?
Debbie

I'm assuming that since this is #3, you know this is not just teething
which was when mine would try to bite.

It sounds like something hurts him when he feeds. Mostly when my
children refused the breast it was when they were weaning themselves.
(Or once when my period came back and I guess the milk tasted funny -
what have you been eating?)

My only suggestion would be to try some other type of nutrition - i.e.
baby food or regular food or whatever he's been getting and a drink of
something (maybe EBM or water or juice or something). If you have
been giving him other types of food by now, you will probably be able
to tell if it is the nursing that is the problem or eating in general.
Old February 20th 08, 05:29 PM posted to misc.kids
Welches

"Irrational Number" wrote in message
Welches wrote:

Yesterday #3 started refusing to breastfeed. He took a feed fine at 4am.
Then when I went for his morning feed he fed a little on one side,
pulling away often and crying, pulling his head back. When I tried the
other side he tried to bite me, but wouldn't feed.
Shortly later he did a huge poo, and I thought it was just that that made

He might be teething or a little under the
weather. Just keep offering, but don't push
it. He'll get back to it.

Meanwhile, you can look up "nursing strike"
in Google.

Thanks, I'll try that.
Debbie

Old February 20th 08, 05:38 PM posted to misc.kids
Welches

"Rosalie B." wrote in message
"Welches" wrote:

[...]

I don't think it is. He's got 2 at the bottom and the top ones look a long
way off.

It sounds like something hurts him when he feeds. Mostly when my
children refused the breast it was when they were weaning themselves.
(Or once when my period came back and I guess the milk tasted funny -
what have you been eating?)

Haven't eaten anything unusual at all.
I'd guess the hurting, that's how he's reacting, but the dr couldn't find
anything. He'll feed if I put him on asleep, and then feed well, even
through waking up briefly, which seems to imply that it's not hurting now.
But then he won't go back on the breast when awake
I did say "no" to him when he bit and took hom off, which I wondered whether
it had frightened him, but I have done that before.

My only suggestion would be to try some other type of nutrition - i.e.
baby food or regular food or whatever he's been getting and a drink of
something (maybe EBM or water or juice or something). If you have
been giving him other types of food by now, you will probably be able
to tell if it is the nursing that is the problem or eating in general.

He's eating solids (both slop and finger food) fine. He doesn't really take
liquids from a cup, which is the main worry.
He's got a slight cough, and is eating the sweet potato I'm feeding him at
the moment okay, if not as easily as usual. He's retching a bit more than
normal, I think.
I did wonder whether he's eaten something he shouldn't, which is causing
problems. He's into putting stuff in his mouth.
I feel there's something not right, which is my main concern rather than the
physical not feeding, although that's a bit of a hassle, and a bit painful
for me.
Debbie

Old February 20th 08, 07:06 PM posted to misc.kids
Banty

In article , Welches says...

"Rosalie B." wrote in message
.. .
"Welches" wrote:

[...]

You had him checked out, but has something changed with *you*? Change in your
diet, pregnancy?

Banty

Old February 21st 08, 07:49 AM posted to misc.kids
Sarah Vaughan

Welches wrote:

[...]
I'd guess the hurting, that's how he's reacting, but the dr couldn't find
anything.

Doesn't exclude the possibility that something might be hurting him.
Most of the people I see with sore throats don't have any obvious
inflammation, and earache may also not have any signs to be seen. If
he's otherwise well I wouldn't be concerned about it.

All the best,

Sarah
--
http://www.goodenoughmummy.typepad.com

"That which can be destroyed by the truth, should be" - P. C. Hodgell

Old February 21st 08, 02:06 PM posted to misc.kids
Welches

Default UPDATE 8 month old refusing to feed.

"Sarah Vaughan" wrote in message
Welches wrote:

[...]
I'd guess the hurting, that's how he's reacting, but the dr couldn't find
anything.

Doesn't exclude the possibility that something might be hurting him. Most
of the people I see with sore throats don't have any obvious inflammation,
and earache may also not have any signs to be seen. If he's otherwise
well I wouldn't be concerned about it.

Thanks for the advice everyone:
Yesterday evening he decided to feed fine and has been fine ever since.
I'm guessing it was me reacting to him biting, so I need to find another way
of reacting which will stop him biting (not that he does it much, but tends
to do it in phases) which isn't going to stop him feeding. All I've been
doing is saying "no" and taking him off the breast and then pretty much
straight away offering it again. It's worked before, on him and #2, but I
don't want him to stop feeding at present.
He's much happier today and is asking to feed more than usual so I guess
he's much happier.
Debbe

Old February 22nd 08, 10:33 AM posted to misc.kids
Irrational Number

Welches wrote:

Thanks for the advice everyone:
Yesterday evening he decided to feed fine and has been fine ever since.
I'm guessing it was me reacting to him biting, so I need to find another way
of reacting which will stop him biting

I stopped both kids biting by pushing on their
chins gently. None of the other established
methods worked for me: saying "no", stopping
nursing immediately, pushing baby into breast
to force baby to open mouth, etc.

-- Anita --
Old February 22nd 08, 04:58 PM posted to misc.kids
Welches

Welches wrote:

Thanks for the advice everyone:
Yesterday evening he decided to feed fine and has been fine ever since.
I'm guessing it was me reacting to him biting, so I need to find another
way of reacting which will stop him biting

I stopped both kids biting by pushing on their
chins gently. None of the other established
methods worked for me: saying "no", stopping
nursing immediately, pushing baby into breast
to force baby to open mouth, etc.

-- Anita --

He's feeding fine now but was up 2 hours last night screaming (and then 2
more hours playing). And this from the child who hardly ever cries.
Took him back to the dr. and turns out his ear drum perfulated last night.
Can't help thinking the locum ought to have spotted that when I took him on
Wednesday, but maybe it came on quickly, she said his ears were "a bit red".
Poor little gubbins.
Debbie