Depressed about pregnancy

Old May 18th 04, 01:19 AM
Vicki S

Default Depressed about pregnancy

"Tori M." wrote:
... Me in my American thinking mind I put the names in the wrong
order. Waterhouse is my maiden name Matheson is Jeffs last name (now
mine) So I would Be Victoria Waterhouse-Matheson and my daughter would be
Bonnie Matheson-Waterhouse right? See this is why it is great that we just
decided on using DH last name no confusion

Actually, there is no American tradition so there is no "right" or
"wrong" way to do this in the USA. Every American couple I know with
a hypenated name, however (not that there are loads of them) did
Hername-Hisname. And the ones with kids gave their kids the same
hyphenated last name that both parents have.

When my husband and I got engaged I was "S--" and he was "F--". We
hyphenated and became the "S-F's". When our oldest was born his last
name was "S-F" like both parents. After 7 years of marriage, my
husband got thoroughly sick of no one at the doctor's office being
able to find his records, etc., and said he wanted to drop one of the
last names. We agreed to drop his. When our daughter was born we
gave her only "S" as her last name and plan to do the same for #3, boy
or girl. We did speak to DH's father beforehand to see if he would be
hurt or offended, but he could not have cared less. ;-) My
parents, especially my Dad, are happy about it, and so are we.

So I kind of agree with a lot of what you say. Sadly, there is
confusion when one hyphenates. I wish there weren't, and I could deal
with it, but it was more than my husband wanted to deal with. It is
easier to have only "one" last name. On the other hand, I do hate it
that so many people assume it is the woman's last name, and therefore
the woman's history, that should be dropped by the wayside. So I
would say again, Waterhouse makes an excellent middle name. ;-)

--
-- Vicki
Married DH May 21, 1995. Ima shel Sullen, born 11/16/99;
Old May 18th 04, 06:42 PM
zolw

Tori, actually you got it right. It is supposed to be your maiden
name-his last name.

I am pregnant, so give me a break I don't seem to think straight most
of the time

Mona
due 07-31-04

Tori M. wrote:
"zolw" wrote in message

but waterhouse is probably the dad's last name That would be a little
more than expected of the father I mean to have his name as the
middle name & the mother's name as the last name

Tori, could you clarify this?

Yes I can. Me in my American thinking mind I put the names in the wrong
order. Waterhouse is my maiden name Matheson is Jeffs last name (now
mine) So I would Be Victoria Waterhouse-Matheson and my daughter would be
Bonnie Matheson-Waterhouse right? See this is why it is great that we just
decided on using DH last name no confusion

Tori
--
Bonnie 3/20/02
Anna or Xavier due 10/17/04

Vicki S wrote:

"Tori M." wrote:

I had concidered that for 1/2 a secound.. I figured the last name of
Waterhouse-Matheson was just too mean.

But Waterhouse makes a great middle name, I think. Very classy and
dignified. Here it is with a bunch of names I like:
Corinne Waterhouse Matheson
Adele Waterhouse Matheson
Amelia Waterhouse Matheson
Chloe Waterhouse Matheson