Did you have any indication that labour was iminent?

Old July 17th 03, 05:31 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Default Did you have any indication that labour was iminent?

Alicia Elliott wrote:

I have been very curious about this since my spotting a few days ago. I
know that I may yet go until my due date, but everyone (including my
midwife) thinks I will go into labour early. Since there is no way of
knowing, I just thought I'd poll to see what different people's experiences
were with their first babies. Did you have any indications that it was
coming? Were you surprised by the onset of labour? How long did it take
between first bloody show and onset of labour?

I had no clue with any of my three. With number one I woke up
in labor. With numbers two and three, I had contractions for a week
(or two) prior to going into "real" labor, but there was nothing
preceeding the real thing that gave me any clue it was imminent.
I didn't know it was for real until I had contractions that were
getting longer, stronger, and closer together. No mucus plug, no
nesting, no bloody show (heck, with the third there was no bloody
show at all until there was a baby ;-), no nuthin'.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old July 17th 03, 09:34 PM
kereru

"Marie" wrote in message
kereru wrote in message ...
Maybe you need to read up on labor or look up the word imminent in the
dictionary.

Contractions happen when labour has already started.

Or months before.
Marie

No doubt you are right in some cases. But in general I think contractions
mean you are already in labour, even if only the very early stages. The
person who posted "contractions" in response to Alicia's question wasn't
being very helpful in my opinion. I got the impression that they were being
sarcastic rather than trying to help.

Judy

Old July 18th 03, 02:37 AM
Tina

"Alicia Elliott" wrote in message .ca...
I have been very curious about this since my spotting a few days ago. I
know that I may yet go until my due date, but everyone (including my
midwife) thinks I will go into labour early. Since there is no way of
knowing, I just thought I'd poll to see what different people's experiences
were with their first babies. Did you have any indications that it was
coming? Were you surprised by the onset of labour? How long did it take
between first bloody show and onset of labour?

I am guessing I'll probably be another two weeks before I go into labour,
but like I said, there is no way to know, and I'm really curious to see what
other people have experienced.

Thanks much, Alicia

I lost the 'plug'/spotted a little about 5 days before my water
broke/went into labor with my first. I think I was sleepier, contrary
to a lot of people running around cleaning, and I just had a
'feeling'. I knew I'd go early from the minute I heard my due date --
I was right, but everyone told me that was wishful thinking. I was
not dilated or effaced at all when my water broke (and eventually I
was induced).

If you think you'll go to term, try not to get concerned about going
earlier. A friend of mine was due on the same day as me, both with
our second kids. My first was 3 weeks early, so I expected my second
a little early, too. And my daughter was 2 weeks early. My
girlfriends first was born on her due date, but with her second she
was told by her midwife that she was going to go early, and she was
walking around 4cm dilated for 5 weeks, but her son was born 3 days
after her due date. She was really angry.

On the other hand, with my second, *my* midwife said at my 37 week
(Thursday) appt. "I won't see you next week." and when I asked why,
she said "Because you'll have the baby by then!" I wasn't dilated at
all, no impending signs, nothing. I said "Sunday would be good
because Mike will be off work.", and she said "Good luck making it
till Sunday!" I went into labor Saturday afternoon, and my daughter
was born Sunday morning!

Some of them can really tell, I think!

Tina.
Old July 21st 03, 05:56 PM
sher

"Alicia Elliott" wrote in message .ca...
I have been very curious about this since my spotting a few days ago. I
know that I may yet go until my due date, but everyone (including my
midwife) thinks I will go into labour early.

snip

I think you have to be careful about thinking you're going to go into
labor early. I think it's best to assume you'll be overdue and then
be pleasantly surprised if you're not. With my first, I didn't have
any signs, just had a *feeling* that I would have the baby early. I
quit work two weeks before my due date and just sat at home twiddling
my thumbs wondering when something would happen. I got very cranky
and couldn't even be happy for my brother when his baby was born. I
felt like I was the only woman who was going to be pregnant forever.
Well, four days after my due date, after I had completely given up on
ever going into labor, my water broke in the middle of the night and
DS was born 6 hours later. With my second pregnancy, I just assumed
I'd go over my due date and it was a much better state of mind for me.
I didn't quit work early and again had no signs in the days
preceding. He was born one day before my EDD.

I think having babies is one of the most mind-wrecking things in the
world. Especially for those of us that don't like surprises and love
to have everything scheduled. I am due with baby #3 on a day that my
husband will be 45 minutes out of town, in the mountains, with spotty
cell phone reception. I would give *anything* to have someone tell me
whether or not I'll have the baby while he's gone. I hate
uncertainty, but with babies, there's not much you can really do about
it. I know people have all sorts of tricks that they say have worked
to get labor going, but I think that when they work, it's just
coincidence and the baby would've probably come at the same time had
they just left things alone.

Good luck!

~ Sher, due with boy #3 9/27/03 (but please, baby, please pick
another day!)
Old July 22nd 03, 10:22 PM
Henrietta Louise

Default Did you have any indication that labour was imminent?

With my first, I had this strange desire to go grocery shopping and and
to do heavy cleaning for about three days before labor started.
My second was induced.
With my third, I had no signs at all.
Good luck, Alicia.

Regards,