What measures can be taken to avoid an epesiotomy ???

Old July 18th 03, 05:51 AM
ROBERTA

Default What measures can be taken to avoid an epesiotomy ???

What measures can be taken to avoid an epesiotomy ???
Old July 18th 03, 06:37 AM
Dagny

"Phoebe & Allyson" wrote in message
ROBERTA wrote:

What measures can be taken to avoid an epesiotomy ???

Choose a caregiver with a very low episiotomy rate. They
might have some advice for you on perineal massage or other
measures you can take prior to going into labor, but when it
comes down to it, if your caregiver has a 90% episiotomy
rate, it doesn't much matter what you do. And if your
caregiver has a 5% episiotomy rate, it probably doesn't
matter much what you do, either.

Phoebe

To elaborate on Phoebe's post, my midwife has cut *one* episiotomy in her
many years of births.

Also, I think if you take drugs or get an epidural and as a result, end up
laboring and pushing lying down or semi-sitting, you increase your chances
of receiving either a c-section, or an episiotomy on account of forceps. Or
in some friends' cases, both. It's just harder to bring the baby down that
way.

In summary, when in labor, to avoid episiotomy, stay away from people
bearing drugs and scissors.

-- Dagny
EDD 10/6/03

Old July 18th 03, 06:04 PM
Ericka Kammerer

ROBERTA wrote:

What measures can be taken to avoid an epesiotomy ???

Most important: choose a caregiver who rarely does them.

Other than that, stay mobile during your labor and off your
back.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old July 18th 03, 08:03 PM
Larry McMahan

ROBERTA writes:
: What measures can be taken to avoid an epesiotomy ???

Have a midwife attended homebirth. I am absolutely serious.
Not only does it avoid the dangers of episiotomy, but also
many other inappropriate interventions and complications
present in hospital births. And for an uncomplicated
pregnancy the outcome is usually better.

Larry
Old July 23rd 03, 03:49 AM
RuggyKurtz

Also, I think if you take drugs or get an epidural and as a result, end up
laboring and pushing lying down or semi-sitting, you increase your chances
of receiving either a c-section, or an episiotomy on account of forceps. Or
in some friends' cases, both. It's just harder to bring the baby down that
way.

In summary, when in labor, to avoid episiotomy, stay away from people
bearing drugs and scissors.

-- Dagny
EDD 10/6/03

I don't know about this one. I've had 2 epidurals, and no episiotomies. The
biggest hint that stays in my mind is, when the docotr tells you not to
push..Don't push! I know, I know, easier said than done. Plus, get adequate
exercise, and be hydrated.

Brandy, who BTW loves people bearing drugs......but not scissors!
Old July 23rd 03, 03:52 AM
Phoebe & Allyson

RuggyKurtz wrote:

I've had 2 epidurals, and no episiotomies. The
biggest hint that stays in my mind is, when the docotr tells you not to
push..Don't push!

But if you do push, you'll just tear; no need for an
episiotomy if the baby's coming too fast!

Phoebe