Boy/Girl Anatomy - Ack! They are asking!!!

Old June 27th 04, 08:47 PM
shirley

Default Boy/Girl Anatomy - Ack! They are asking!!!

Kathleen started to develop breasts at 8 and some odd and end hair!
Needless to say I rushed her to the doctor who said she was perfectly
normal. Since that day she has developed rapidly. At 9.5 (one more month)
she is fully matured physically, growing daily and I swear she'll be
borrowing my bra's within no time - and my shoes - she wears a size 8.5-9.

Shirley

"Kender" wrote in message
Bra? You mean I only have 2 more years until they come on the scene. I had
no idea it was so close! Thanks for the heads up.
--
Erin
Morgan and Megan 2/15/97

"shirley" wrote in message
Do you call your nose "nosie" or your foot "footie"? I don't see a
difference! All body parts have names and whether the children are 4 or

14
they need to know. "Cute" names for those body parts and not other

parts
gives kids a feeling that these parts are different and should be
"snickered" about, not just a matter of fact, at least in my opinion and

in
the opinion of the sex educators at my middle school. My MIL (who is

90)
has always told her two kids the proper names and so do we. We don't

make
big deal and I can tell you where this has lead to.

Kathleen is maturing, she wears a size A bra, has all body hair that

needs
to be there, shaves and knows all about periods and sex. Her wonderful
question to me when we got to the big talk was why her friends couldn't

talk
about this stuff. When I told her some friends might not be developed

yet
and their moms may feel uncomfortable about talking about sex to their
daughters her wise 9 year old answer was - gee mom, it's their

daughters -
why would they be uncomfortable talking about anything to them!!!! What

wonderful question from a 9 year old. Our experience for our children

is
that the real terms work - no matter how old.

Shirley
Chris and Kathleen 1/95

"Ellen Kmetz" wrote in message
I'm sorry, but I just don't see the need to teach 3 & 4 year-olds

terms
like
"vulva" and "urethra". My boys call their penises their "winkies",

they
know
that only boys have them, and we've had some very funny conversations

about who
has a winky and who doesn't. My daughter is 9 and now knows the

correct
terms,
but when she was 4 she called it her "front butt" and "back butt".

She
isn't
scarred for life or ashamed of her body just because at age four she

didn't
know to call it a "vagina" or "vulva". They're practically still

babies,
for
God's sake! It's CUTE when they call their privates by "pet names".

So
when
they get old enough you tell them "this is what it's really called"

and
that's
that. What is the big deal?? Let them be KIDS. JMO.

Ellen
--------
Erin 6/26/95
Bradley & Alex 10/5/00

Old June 27th 04, 08:47 PM
shirley

I agree.

Shirley

"Gummy Joe" wrote in message
. com...
I think "private parts" is sort of burdening to a child. It gets the ball
rolling toard sexual dystrophy and a fear of real intimacy. I mean, how
young does someone have to be for us to start slinging pejorative epithets
at their sexual awakening?

"Terri and Rob" wrote in message
. ..
When I was in high school, one of my friends had daughter. As a teen

mom,
she had no experience or insight into "right" ways to raise a child.

She
taught her daughter to refer to her vagina using the crude word

beginning
with p and synonymous with cat.
I think that wins the award for the most inappropriate way of dealing

with
the situation at hand, don't you?

--
Terri & Rob
Colton (11-29-00)

"KimandJuan" wrote in message
I have never liked butt and I despise hiney, we say tush or tushie.

Alexis
corrects people all the time. I have to get onto her. She will tell

other
children,"It is not nice to say, Butt!"

~Kimberly
Mommy to Alexis Iliana 07/17/99 and
Emma Elidia & Aislyn Gabriela 10/01/02
come see us...
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/a/aislynemma/

Old June 28th 04, 01:25 AM
Chotii

"shirley" wrote in message

Kathleen started to develop breasts at 8 and some odd and end hair!
Needless to say I rushed her to the doctor who said she was perfectly
normal. Since that day she has developed rapidly. At 9.5 (one more

month)
she is fully matured physically, growing daily and I swear she'll be
borrowing my bra's within no time - and my shoes - she wears a size 8.5-9.

I have no idea why your doctor considers onset of menarche at 8 to be
"perfectly normal". Little girls are not meant to be mature women at the age
of 8, or 9, or 10. They're certainly not prepared emotionally to deal with
the sexual attention they WILL get as a result of being sexually mature. Not
to mention that early puberty puts her at higher risk for breast cancer (and
by the way, could have been treated with estrogen-antagonist medication). I
think you were right to rush her to the doctor. I think he did you a
disservice.

http://www.center4policy.org/children11.html

http://www.007b.com/early_puberty.php

http://www.drgreene.com/21_356.html

--angela

Old June 28th 04, 01:39 AM
Chotii

"Gummy Joe" wrote in message
. com...

I think "private parts" is sort of burdening to a child. It gets the ball
rolling toard sexual dystrophy and a fear of real intimacy. I mean, how
young does someone have to be for us to start slinging pejorative epithets
at their sexual awakening?

What's the matter with privacy? I mean, they're not PUBLIC parts, are they?
They're private. They belong to the child, and the child doesn't have to
share them. What's the matter with privacy? When one becomes an adult,
*very* likely, even the healthiest of sexual relationships will be carried
on in the privacy of a closed space, not out on a blanket in the middle of a
busy park.

I, personally, teach the medical names (urethra, vagina, anus or rectum,
vulva, labia, smegma) as well as the child's rights: private. If a child
wants to touch himself, or herself, *fine*, go ahead, but please do it in
private, it's nobody's business but theirs. When they want to make it
somebody else's business (hopefully at an age of some maturity), then that
will likely be done in private also.

What exactly is this 'pejorative epithet' you worry might be slung? A
child's genitalia is not a bad secret to be kept, and calling those parts
'private' doesn't make them bad. Making them sexual before the child is
mature enough to desire and handle that - now that's bad.

--angela