Slight update

Old September 5th 04, 10:06 PM
Steve Carroll

Default Slight update

I haven't posted for a while, and the regulars may remember me.

Divorced in Texas, trying to get information on my Son in washington as far
as whether or not he is fully enrolled in school.

I had contact with my Son before the summer schedule, but haven't had
contact during the summer. The last time I talked to him, I again asked him
to send progress reports, pictures, etc. I have not received any
information from him so far, and have not heard from him at all in the last
three months.

I contacted the school I believe he was attending last year, and they
acknowledged that he was enrolled there, but refused to give any other
information. I am going to make another attempt this school year.

I talked to the Attorney General rep in Texas, and they referred me to send
a letter to the county in which I was divorced requesting proof that my Son
was fully enrolled in school, I received no response.

I called the county a couple of days ago, and they said that they cannot
give me any information, only collect money, and referred me back to the
Attorney General.

I have filed a complaint to the Attorney General, requesting proof that my
Son is in school, and his projected year of graduation, and am awaiting an
answer.

I called the child support agency here in Alaska, but they said they have no
access to that information, unless they are involved, ie garnishment order,
etc. so they cannot help me. That is an option for me, but I have to stop
paying Texas to make that happen.

Something interesting the Alaska rep told me: they have caseworkers that
interact with the custodial and non-custodial parent, and they require proof
of full enrollment in school. The rep asked me what my caseworker in Texas
said, and I told them that I didn't have one as far as I know, I just keep
paying money to the clerk, and have never had any contact with a live person
there since 1986.

My Son will be 19 on the 23rd of this month, and I am currently still
blindly paying. My son only seems to contact me when the payment is a day
or two late, or he wants money. I hope that is not the case, but it sure
seems that way.

Steve

Old September 5th 04, 10:53 PM
teachrmama

Isn't thre an "end of payment" date on your child support order? For
example, my husband's says "graduation from high school or age 19, whichever
comes first." (Or words to that effect)

Old September 5th 04, 11:59 PM
Steve Carroll

Every month until the earliest occurrence of one of the following events:

1. The child reaches the age of 18 years provided that, if the child is
fully enrolled in an accredited primary or secondary school in a program
leading toward a high school diploma, the periodic child support payments
shall continue to be due and paid until the child graduates;

2. The child marries;

3. The child dies;

4. The Childs disabilities are otherwise removed for general purposes;

5. The child is otherwise emancipated;

6. Further order of the court.

I would normally think that some system would be in place to ensure
adherence to these items, but apparently money is blindly collected with no
end in Texas. This is why I am considering not paying anymore, which will
cause a garnishment order to be issued, which has to go through the child
support division here in Alaska to be collected. I believe this may give me
more leverage, and possibly even get my case transferred to the State of
Alaska, which would be good in the fact that Alaska ends child support at
19 if still in school.

The drawback is that I still won't have a good relationship with my Son, and
I don't know how long it will take him to realize that money is not the most
important thing to being part of a family.

Steve

Old September 7th 04, 07:22 AM
Chris

"teachrmama" wrote in message
Isn't thre an "end of payment" date on your child support order? For
example, my husband's says "graduation from high school or age 19,

whichever
comes first." (Or words to that effect)

Just curious if you can "buy down" the end date. Kind of like buying down
the interest rate on a mortgage loan by paying points.

Old September 7th 04, 09:43 AM
AZ Astrea

"Chris" wrote in message

"teachrmama" wrote in message
Isn't thre an "end of payment" date on your child support order? For
example, my husband's says "graduation from high school or age 19,

whichever
comes first." (Or words to that effect)

Just curious if you can "buy down" the end date. Kind of like buying down
the interest rate on a mortgage loan by paying points.

--------------
Nope! Any extra money you try to pay is simply considered a 'gift',
thankyouverymuch. In fact if you show that you have 'extra' money they just
might decide that you have more than you should and raise your cs.

~AZ~

Old September 7th 04, 12:44 PM
Kenneth S.

A "buy down" of a CS obligation no doubt is psychologically attractive
to many fathers. If they can afford it, such a transaction appears to
enable them to get rid of the apparently never-ending obligation to pay
money to their ex-wives. However, I think paying money in advance is a
mistake.

In the first place, a buy-down sends a signal to the ex that the father
has the resources to pay, and may prompt her to seek even more money.
Secondly, payment of CS gives a father some (admittedly marginal) leverage
over what happens with the children.

Old September 7th 04, 04:59 PM
Gini

In article , Kenneth S. says...

A "buy down" of a CS obligation no doubt is psychologically attractive
to many fathers. If they can afford it, such a transaction appears to
enable them to get rid of the apparently never-ending obligation to pay
money to their ex-wives. However, I think paying money in advance is a
mistake.

In the first place, a buy-down sends a signal to the ex that the father
has the resources to pay, and may prompt her to seek even more money.
Secondly, payment of CS gives a father some (admittedly marginal) leverage
over what happens with the children.

====
Agree. The state says if you can afford it, you probably aren't paying enough
support.
====
====