How to start an in-home preschool

Old November 27th 07, 02:23 PM posted to misc.kids
[email protected]

Default How to start an in-home preschool

1. Will I need a permit or permission from the city I live in to open
this type of business in my home?
2. What are some good ways to advertise?
3. When should I start advertising to get students for the 2008-09
school year?
4. Will I need special or extra house insurance to cover the
preschool? If so, what type?
5. How much do I charge per student?
6. Any and all tips/suggestions are appreciated!!! - Thanks
Old November 27th 07, 03:24 PM posted to misc.kids
Beliavsky

On Nov 27, 9:23 am, wrote:
1. Will I need a permit or permission from the city I live in to open
this type of business in my home?

I think daycare centers are typically licensed by the state. I don't
know if there are separate licenses for preschools. I suggest looking
for information at the web site of your state government.
Old November 27th 07, 03:26 PM posted to misc.kids
Chris

On Nov 27, 9:23 am, wrote:
1. Will I need a permit or permission from the city I live in to open
this type of business in my home? Usually.
2. What are some good ways to advertise? Phone book, flyers on grocery store bulletin boards, schools, word-of-mouth.
3. When should I start advertising to get students for the 2008-09
school year? before the end of the school year this year.
4. Will I need special or extra house insurance to cover the
preschool? If so, what type? Call your insurance agent. They will share what coverages you may night or might want. You don't want anyone suing you or lose everything you have.
5. How much do I charge per student? That depends on your area.
6. Any and all tips/suggestions are appreciated!!! - Thanks AOL has message boards where childcare providers talk about various issues.

Firstly, you should contact your state's department of human services
office of children and adult licensing to download all of the
information you need to get started.
Old November 27th 07, 03:54 PM posted to misc.kids
Ruth Baltopoulos

Chris wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Exactly right. Also, the answer to many of your questions
is distinctly based on your location, so you would need to
research your specific area.

I know of people that operate their business under a family
child care license but structure and advertise it as a small
preschool. Perfectly acceptable in most places, I would
imagine, provided that you have the proper credentials.
--
Ruth B
Old November 27th 07, 07:00 PM posted to misc.kids
Barbara

On Nov 27, 9:23 am, wrote:
1. Will I need a permit or permission from the city I live in to open
this type of business in my home?
2. What are some good ways to advertise?
3. When should I start advertising to get students for the 2008-09
school year?
4. Will I need special or extra house insurance to cover the
preschool? If so, what type?
5. How much do I charge per student?
6. Any and all tips/suggestions are appreciated!!! - Thanks

My tip is to conduct further research before you jump into something
like this. These are really *really* basic questions. You need
information. You need a business plan. You can't expect a bunch of
strangers on an international forum to do your homework for you, much
less for them to actually get it *right*

In NY, for example:

Training Requirements for Registered Small Day Care Centers (which I
believe means 3-6 kids):
Each provider and alternate provider must complete a minimum of thirty
(30) hours of training every two years. Fifteen (15) hours of such
training must be completed during the first six months of the
program's first year of registration. Training must address the
following topics:

*Principles of early childhood development
Nutrition and health needs of children
Child day care program development
Safety and security procedures, including communication between
parents and staff
Child abuse and maltreatment identification and prevention
Statutes and regulations pertaining to child day care
Business record maintenance and management
Statutes and regulations pertaining to child abuse and maltreatment
Education and information on the identification, diagnosis and
prevention of shaken baby syndrome.
Our regulations page has additional information about regulations for
Small Day Care Centers and regulations for School Age Child Care
programs.*

Have you taken any courses yet? Figured out how or when you might?

And some regs: http://www.ocfs.state.ny.us/main/bec..._SDCC_regs.asp

Its not gosh-oh-golly, I can pocket some extra dough while looking
after my own kid! You're talking about a real business with real
licensing requirements.

Barbara

Old November 27th 07, 11:23 PM posted to misc.kids
Chris

On Nov 27, 2:00�pm, Barbara wrote:
On Nov 27, 9:23 am, wrote:

[...]

In my state there are different rules pertaining to level of education
requirements for those daycare centers that are *businesses* and in-
home daycare centers. Just FYI.
Old November 28th 07, 02:59 AM posted to misc.kids
Barbara

On Nov 27, 9:23 am, wrote:

[...]

home daycare centers. Just FYI.- Hide quoted text -

Which is why this person really needs to do his/her research, not just
throw it out there to a bunch of strangers.

I would be curious as to how they would differentiate between a
*business* and *in-home* since the in-home daycares presumably charge
clients. I didn't do a heckuva lot of research, so I wouldn't take my
word for it, but it did appear that NY requirements are keyed to
number of kids (3 or more) and hours, not location (home vs.
facility). That said, I'm sure that there are innumerable unlicensed
day cares here.

Barbara
Old November 28th 07, 04:11 PM posted to misc.kids
toto

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 06:23:19 -0800 (PST), wrote:

1. Will I need a permit or permission from the city I live in to open
this type of business in my home?

In general, most preschools and daycares are licensed by the state.
Usually, the state will inspect your house. You may have to make
modifications such as firedoors and doors for outside access from the
rooms you will use. Depending on the ages you want to serve, you may
have to have specific equipment for changing children's diapers. You
will also be limited as to the numbers of children you can have if you
are going to be the only teacher. I would suggest that you need at
least one other adult as a teacher aide. If emergencies happen, you
want another adult around to help with the problem.

You can find your state regulations he
http://www.daycare.com/states.html

2. What are some good ways to advertise?
3. When should I start advertising to get students for the 2008-09
school year?
4. Will I need special or extra house insurance to cover the
preschool? If so, what type?

It is probably going to be a good idea to have extra liability
insurance at least.

5. How much do I charge per student?

That is going to depend on your area and what the schools around you
charge now. Check out the tuitions for church preschools in your area
as they will probably be the lowest. Then check out the chains or
private academic preschools for the highest rates.

6. Any and all tips/suggestions are appreciated!!! - Thanks

Might have more later.

--
Dorothy

The Outer Limits
Old November 28th 07, 05:53 PM posted to misc.kids
Beliavsky

On Nov 28, 11:11 am, toto wrote:

Depending on the ages you want to serve, you may
have to have specific equipment for changing children's diapers.

What is wrong with changing them on the floor, as many parents do?
Old November 28th 07, 06:02 PM posted to misc.kids
Donna Metler

"Beliavsky" wrote in message
On Nov 28, 11:11 am, toto wrote:

Depending on the ages you want to serve, you may
have to have specific equipment for changing children's diapers.

What is wrong with changing them on the floor, as many parents do?

Daycare providers have much more strenuous rules as far as sanitation and
safety than most people actually follow at home, and diaper changing comes
with a list of rules that most parents simply don't follow at home with
their own child. If I have to spray a bleach solution on the changing
surface each time I use it, I don't want that changing surface to be a pad
on my carpeted or stained hardwood floors, which probably will be damaged by
the overspray. I want a laminated surface which won't be harmed. Toilet
training gets even more complicated, because then you have to deal both with
toileting rules and diaper changing rules.

For 16-year-old Ollie, the past is a blur. Since becoming a wardof the state 12 years ago, he's moved from foster home to foster home, familyto family, group home to group home. fx Spanking 0 July 27th 07 07:06 AM
Start Your Own Profitable Internet Business From Home Duke Twins & Triplets 0 February 6th 07 08:37 PM
(628) Now you can start your own home based business for just $20 Munmun Breastfeeding 0 November 19th 06 07:00 AM
At-Home Preschool stasya General 11 August 3rd 05 01:18 AM
Helping Yourself and your kids health should start at home Kids Health 2 September 28th 04 04:00 PM