How to start an in-home preschool

Old November 28th 07, 06:03 PM posted to misc.kids
Banty

Default How to start an in-home preschool

In article ,
Beliavsky says...

On Nov 28, 11:11 am, toto wrote:

Depending on the ages you want to serve, you may
have to have specific equipment for changing children's diapers.

What is wrong with changing them on the floor, as many parents do?

Aching backs.

Banty

Old November 28th 07, 06:37 PM posted to misc.kids
Ericka Kammerer

Beliavsky wrote:
On Nov 28, 11:11 am, toto wrote:

Depending on the ages you want to serve, you may
have to have specific equipment for changing children's diapers.

What is wrong with changing them on the floor, as many parents do?

Most state regulations forbid it.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old November 28th 07, 06:55 PM posted to misc.kids
Akuvikate

On Nov 28, 9:53 am, Beliavsky wrote:
On Nov 28, 11:11 am, toto wrote:

Depending on the ages you want to serve, you may
have to have specific equipment for changing children's diapers.

What is wrong with changing them on the floor, as many parents do?

I don't know what specific equipment she was referring to, but it may
well pertain to sanitary standards (cleaning the surface post-change,
hand sanitation, disposing of the diapers, etc). One kid being
changed with poor sanitation technique = one family (say 3-5 people)
with shared germs. Six kids being changed together with poor
sanitation technique = six families (18-30 people) with shared germs.
Daycares are great vectors for passing along fecal-orally transmitted
bugs.

Kate, ignorant foot soldier of the medical cartel
and the Bug, 4 years old
and something brewing, 4/08
Old November 28th 07, 07:12 PM posted to misc.kids
Beliavsky

On Nov 28, 1:02 pm, "Donna Metler" wrote:
"Beliavsky" wrote in message

On Nov 28, 11:11 am, toto wrote:

Depending on the ages you want to serve, you may
have to have specific equipment for changing children's diapers.

What is wrong with changing them on the floor, as many parents do?

Daycare providers have much more strenuous rules as far as sanitation and
safety than most people actually follow at home, and diaper changing comes
with a list of rules that most parents simply don't follow at home with
their own child.

Thanks to you and Akuvikate for the information. If someone has a web
site suggesting sanitary procedures that parents should follow at home
when changing diapers, I am interested. So far I gather that I ought
to have a separate changing table and to spray bleach on it after each
use.

If I have to spray a bleach solution on the changing
surface each time I use it, I don't want that changing surface to be a pad
on my carpeted or stained hardwood floors, which probably will be damaged by
the overspray. I want a laminated surface which won't be harmed. Toilet
training gets even more complicated, because then you have to deal both with
toileting rules and diaper changing rules.

Old November 28th 07, 07:46 PM posted to misc.kids
[email protected]

"Beliavsky" wrote in message

On Nov 28, 11:11 am, toto wrote:

Depending on the ages you want to serve, you may
have to have specific equipment for changing children's diapers.

What is wrong with changing them on the floor, as many parents do?

Daycare providers have much more strenuous rules as far as sanitation and
safety than most people actually follow at home, and diaper changing comes
with a list of rules that most parents simply don't follow at home with
their own child.

Thanks to you and Akuvikate for the information. If someone has a web
site suggesting sanitary procedures that parents should follow at home
when changing diapers, I am interested. So far I gather that I ought
to have a separate changing table and to spray bleach on it after each
use.

You are already doing more than I did. I never sprayed bleach. I
placed a fresh towel on the changing table daily. If anything stuck to
it during changing, I'd toss it in the washer and put another towel. I
wiped the table with soapy solution once in a while but not daily.
Old November 28th 07, 08:16 PM posted to misc.kids
Banty

In article ,
says...

"Beliavsky" wrote in message

On Nov 28, 11:11 am, toto wrote:

[...]

Fresh surface daily, and I always always washed my hands.

I was glad to see my childcare provider use a bleach solution daily, but that
was more because of the mega-kid environment, and that she had such a
well-thought out routine.

Actually, I think there is some evidence that over-sanitizing a child's
environment may hamper some of their immune functioning.

Banty ("Babies are made to live in caves.")

Old November 28th 07, 08:32 PM posted to misc.kids
Donna Metler

"Beliavsky" wrote in message

On Nov 28, 11:11 am, toto wrote:

[...]

I think that the rules daycare centers follow would be overkill for home use
in most cases. The goal is to avoid an epidemic, which simply isn't a
concern in a home setting where, most probably, the next baby to use that
changing pad will be the same one who used it the last time. The only parent
I know who cleans as often as daycare staff are required to do so is a
friend of mine who's DD has an IgG deficency and therefore gets extremely
sick from what in another child either doesn't affect them at all or is very
mild-and for her, the level of cleanliness in a typical daycare center
simply isn't enough to combat the bacteria and viruses carried in by
multiple children. A 1-1 playdate on home territory with frequent
handwashing is about the level that this child's immune system can handle.

Old November 28th 07, 08:53 PM posted to misc.kids
Ericka Kammerer

"Beliavsky" wrote in message

On Nov 28, 11:11 am, toto wrote:
Depending on the ages you want to serve, you may
have to have specific equipment for changing children's diapers.
What is wrong with changing them on the floor, as many parents do?

Daycare providers have much more strenuous rules as far as sanitation and
safety than most people actually follow at home, and diaper changing comes
with a list of rules that most parents simply don't follow at home with
their own child.

Thanks to you and Akuvikate for the information. If someone has a web
site suggesting sanitary procedures that parents should follow at home
when changing diapers, I am interested. So far I gather that I ought
to have a separate changing table and to spray bleach on it after each
use.

It isn't necessarily required to do the same thing when
it's your home and your family as when it's in a daycare or preschool.
Part of the reason stricter standards exist in those settings is
to prevent transmission from family to family, but if you're all
living together, some of that isn't going to be prevented anyway.
Also, some of the requirements for daycares and preschools have to
do with the fact that there will be other children who need watching
and who can't be out of sight while one child's diaper is being
changed.
That said, you should realize that any diaper change is
an opportunity for germs to get around on your hands or the
changing surface (and for germs on the surface to get on the baby).
Hand washing is a must at the very least.
If, by the way, you end up choosing to use a bleach spray,
you should be aware that they're not talking about 100 percent
bleach.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old November 28th 07, 09:10 PM posted to misc.kids
Akuvikate

"Beliavsky" wrote in message

On Nov 28, 11:11 am, toto wrote:

Depending on the ages you want to serve, you may
have to have specific equipment for changing children's diapers.

What is wrong with changing them on the floor, as many parents do?

Daycare providers have much more strenuous rules as far as sanitation and
safety than most people actually follow at home, and diaper changing comes
with a list of rules that most parents simply don't follow at home with
their own child.

Thanks to you and Akuvikate for the information. If someone has a web
site suggesting sanitary procedures that parents should follow at home
when changing diapers, I am interested. So far I gather that I ought
to have a separate changing table and to spray bleach on it after each
use.

I haven't seen research on home diaper changes in particular, but if
it's like everything else in this world, it's all about the hands. I
wouldn't go nuts spraying cleaners mutliple times per day on surfaces
that your baby's bare skin will be in frequent contact with, though
periodic cleaning (no idea how often) probably makes sense. Most
importantly, clean your hands immediately. Alcohol hand gels actually
work better than soap and water in many circumstances. If anything
visible gets on your hands, then use soap and water. And to echo what
others have said, it would be overkill to do daycare-type standards at
home. Just keep your hands clean and you've covered most of it.

Old November 29th 07, 05:57 AM posted to misc.kids
toto

On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 09:53:40 -0800 (PST), Beliavsky
wrote:

On Nov 28, 11:11 am, toto wrote:

Depending on the ages you want to serve, you may
have to have specific equipment for changing children's diapers.

What is wrong with changing them on the floor, as many parents do?

It's considered unsanitary when you are having many children who are
not from the same family, I imagine.

The protocols for changing diapers in the centers I worked at included
wearing latex gloves and bleaching the changing table after each
change.

--
Dorothy

The Outer Limits

For 16-year-old Ollie, the past is a blur. Since becoming a wardof the state 12 years ago, he's moved from foster home to foster home, familyto family, group home to group home. fx Spanking 0 July 27th 07 07:06 AM
Start Your Own Profitable Internet Business From Home Duke Twins & Triplets 0 February 6th 07 08:37 PM
(628) Now you can start your own home based business for just $20 Munmun Breastfeeding 0 November 19th 06 07:00 AM
At-Home Preschool stasya General 11 August 3rd 05 01:18 AM
Helping Yourself and your kids health should start at home Kids Health 2 September 28th 04 04:00 PM