Hepatitis B immunization

Old July 18th 03, 01:56 AM
Jeff Utz

Default Hepatitis B immunization

"Astromum" wrote in message
Circe wrote:

The theory is that, although infants are seldom at risk for HepB, it is
difficult to get teenagers back for immunizations and, therefore, it is
better to immunize at birth. In the US, Hep B is seen as being a disease

for
which all sexually active people are at risk, and since today's infants

will
presumably be sexually active at some point in their lives, the

assumption
is that it is better to vaccinate them now than risk the possibility

that
they won't get vaccinated later in life when they really need it.

That's weird: when I got my shots back in Europe, I was told I needed
an 'update' every ten years, or the vaccine would no longer be effective.
Perhaps it depends on the type of vaccine they use. I'll be sure to ask
our ped about this too. Thanks!

The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and others carefully watch
the immunity of people who were vaccinated against Hep. B many years ago.
There is no way to tell if immunity against hep. B will last 20 years until
the shots have been around 20 years (I think they have been around for about
15 years, but there were other hep. B vaccines available before that).

Jeff
--
-- Ilse
mom to Olaf (07/15/2002)

Old July 18th 03, 05:41 PM
Marie

They wanted to catch the druggies and homosexuals early (high-risk groups)
so decided to vaccinate newborns to make sure if they grew up to participate
in a risky behaviour they'd be covered. That is why we choose not to
vaccinate for hep. b
Marie

Astromum wrote in message ...
I was wondering what is the reasoning behind the hep-B immunizations
for newborns in the US. In the Netherlands hepatitis immunizations are
only given to people in certain 'risky' professions, or people that
travel to risk areas. I googled the subject and found only schemes,
but no real explanation. Are 'merkins more at risk for hep-B? And why
not immunize for hepatitis A?

Old July 18th 03, 07:19 PM
H Schinske

Marie ) wrote:

They wanted to catch the druggies and homosexuals early (high-risk groups)
so decided to vaccinate newborns to make sure if they grew up to participate
in a risky behaviour they'd be covered. That is why we choose not to
vaccinate for hep. b

And that is one reason why we did choose to. Even I know an awful lot of people
who have made risky choices with regards to drugs and sexual behaviors. Many of
them have been able to change those behaviors and lead exemplary lives ... but
only because they were lucky enough not to catch anything that killed them
straight off. I figure it's a bit of a safety net. I don't want my kids
engaging in those behaviors to begin with, and I'll do everything I can to
prevent it, but I sure as heck want them to have a second chance out there if
they need it.

Many totally innocent spouses have caught stuff due to the other spouse's
behavior, too.

--Helen
Old July 18th 03, 08:20 PM
Phoebe & Allyson

Marie wrote:

They wanted to catch the druggies and homosexuals early (high-risk groups)

Actually, half of those homosexuals are at a lower risk of
STDs, including Hep B and cervical cancer, than straight
folks are. So you're betting your sons will grow up
straight and your daughters will be lesbians, right?

Phoebe

Old July 18th 03, 10:39 PM
CBI

"Marie" wrote in message
They wanted to catch the druggies and homosexuals early (high-risk groups)
so decided to vaccinate newborns to make sure if they grew up to

participate
in a risky behaviour they'd be covered. That is why we choose not to
vaccinate for hep. b
Marie

No parent ever thinks their darling child will do drugs or have sex at an
early age. Yet, it happens. Must be all those OTHER kids.

Besides, you forget about the kids who get it during childhood and from no
identified source. We don't know where it comes from in these cases. It is
possible that kids salivate and bleed on each other enough to pass it.

Now for the truly loaded question - what do you see as the downside to
giving it?

--
CBI

Old July 18th 03, 10:41 PM
Marie

Phoebe & Allyson wrote in message ...
Actually, half of those homosexuals are at a lower risk of
STDs, including Hep B and cervical cancer, than straight
folks are. So you're betting your sons will grow up
straight and your daughters will be lesbians, right?

There's the government for you. They decide what's risky, I suppose.
I don't really know much about homosexuals and risk of diseases, I always
thought it would be the same as heterosexuals...dependant on protection and
promiscuity.
Marie

Old July 18th 03, 10:44 PM
Marie

H Schinske wrote in message
And that is one reason why we did choose to. Even I know an awful lot of

people
who have made risky choices with regards to drugs and sexual behaviors.

Many of
them have been able to change those behaviors and lead exemplary lives ...

but
only because they were lucky enough not to catch anything that killed them
straight off. I figure it's a bit of a safety net. I don't want my kids
engaging in those behaviors to begin with, and I'll do everything I can to
prevent it, but I sure as heck want them to have a second chance out there

if
they need it.

I will be getting the vaccine for the kids in the pre-teen years at some
point, I just didn't want to do it anymore when the kids were babies.
Marie

Old July 18th 03, 10:52 PM
Marie

CBI wrote in message ...
No parent ever thinks their darling child will do drugs or have sex at an
early age. Yet, it happens. Must be all those OTHER kids.

Well I certainly hope my newborns won't be having sex and doing drugs.
Possibly when they are older (which is why I'll get it for them later), but
I hope not!

Besides, you forget about the kids who get it during childhood and from

noidentified source. We don't know where it comes from in these cases. It
ispossible that kids salivate and bleed on each other enough to pass it.

Honestly I haven't given much thought to that, as my kids aren't in daycare
(and the one who was did get the hepb vaccine as a baby b/c I did what I was
told way back then), and I have never come across a situation where I've
seen children salivate and bleed on each other, besides my daughters on each
other.

Now for the truly loaded question - what do you see as the downside to
giving it?

The lack of necessity, imo. Things put into the body that shouldn't be
there, especially at such a tender age. Babies get enough chemicals.
Marie

Old July 19th 03, 01:55 AM
blacksalt

Jeff Utz wrote:

And people who have sex with other people, like teenages.

And people born to these people. Just about all babies.

And healthcare workers. Hep B is much more transmittable via needle
stick than HIV.
blacksalt
eagerly awaiting a hep C vaccine
Old July 19th 03, 02:07 AM
Jeff Utz

"Marie" wrote in message
They wanted to catch the druggies and homosexuals early (high-risk groups)

And people who have sex with other people, like teenages.

And people born to these people. Just about all babies.

so decided to vaccinate newborns to make sure if they grew up to

participate
in a risky behaviour they'd be covered. That is why we choose not to
vaccinate for hep. b

And the way you know that your kid won't have sex when (s)he is a teen,
isn't gay, won't get blood transfusions or won't be a drug user is what?

Jeff

Marie