Asked to leave a public pool

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 8th 06, 04:12 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
[email protected]

Default Asked to leave a public pool

My name is Michelle and I have 3 kids. I breastfed each one and have
never encountered a situation like the one a few days ago.

Please read the story posted here.
(http://www.haysfreepress.com/article...news/news2.txt
). This is what happened to me when I was breastfeeding my one year
old daughter at a PUBLIC pool.

What the story fails to mention is the very modest swimsuit I was
wearing at the pool. (see link
http://www.landsend.com/cd/fp/prod/0...12492693158910
). There was nothing to see but a mother holding her baby in her arms.

To date I have yet to receive an apology from the pool manager, parks
manager or the city manager. They have not even acknowledged that they
were wrong. In fact they keep changing the reason I was asked to stop
feeding my daughter. First they asked me if I would stop feeding her
when I refused and cited the law they said I needed to go to the
BATHROOM and feed her there. I refused again since my 3 year old
daughter was in a swimming lesson and my 5 year was playing in the pool
(he was wearing a life vest). I told them I was not going to leave
since I needed to watch my son. The pool manager then informed me
"that is why they have lifeguards". Later they changed the story and
said they did not allow food near the pool. After that, changing the
story again, they told me it was a safety issue since I was a
distraction to the lifeguards and they would be unable to do their job.
The current reason still a "saftey issue", but now they say I needed
to be within arms reach of my son. (Keep in mind earlier they told me
to feed her in the bathroom since lifeguards were watching the pool
(Pool Manager)).

There is a link off the main page for a survey about breastfeeding in
public. Please respond to the survey (it's only one question).
http://www.haysfreepress.com/ There is also a link to the letter to
the editor if you feel so inclined.

-Michelle