induction on friday

Old October 26th 04, 08:48 AM
Anne Rogers

first question, you say you are being induced for pre-eclampsia, been as it
is scheduled for Friday, that means it's not considered urgent, so would
frequent monitoring be more sensible?

the anecdotal evidence seems to be that inductions for pre-eclampsia seem
more likely to fail than those for ruptured membranes, I think because pe is
no indication of readiness to labour whereas ruptured membranes seems to be
a step in the right direction.

the other thing to find out is how they plan to induce you, you probably
won't be offered a choice but if you ask they will have to give it to you.
There are quite a lot of factors, such as whether to use prostin gel and
when to rupture the membranes. My thought is in your case it would be best
to leave the membranes intact as if things don't progress it would worth
waiting rather than ending up with a section.

hope this helps

Anne

Old October 26th 04, 01:28 PM
Kim E

"Lindy" wrote:
im probably going to be induce this friday due to preclamsia. i will be
38 weeks on friday. im still waiting for the doctor to call and tell me
for sure.
my question is to anyone that has been induced. how did that go for
you?

I was induced with Pitocin after my water broke at 36 -1/2 wks and I did
not start contractions on my own (my first and only birth so far).
Contractions started pretty strong about 30 - 45 minutes after the pitocin
started, but I made it through fairly easily without pain meds. I was
scared of pitocin based on the stories i'd heard, but for me the worst part
about being induced was that having the IV in made it a little more
difficult to move around, but I still could, i just had to drag the IV pole
with me. The whole labor took 6 hours with 1/2 hour of pushing.

-kim

Old October 26th 04, 01:32 PM
Kim E

"Emily" wrote:
A&G&K&H wrote:

"Emily" wrote :

Lindy wrote:
im probably going to be induce this friday due to preclamsia. i will be
38 weeks on friday. im still waiting for the doctor to call and tell me
for sure.
my question is to anyone that has been induced. how did that go for
you?

I was induced with pitocin at 39 weeks after my water broke and
I didn't go into labor on my own (well, just minor contractions
that weren't doing anything). It wasn't easy, but I made it
through without pain medications. I think I started off somewhat
effaced and about 1cm dialeted. My doula told me that it's
not so much that the contractions are all harder than regular
contractions but that they ramp up (and his max) much faster.

It was good to hear that -- especially since she told it to me
at the point where they hit the max. It was good to know that
I wasn't going to have to deal with anything worse, just keep
handling what I was already handling. I found that was true until
transition. Then they got a bit worse for a little while and
then it was time to push!

That describes my second birth very well ... not more painful, just you
get
to the painful stuff faster. Transition hurts, but if you know that's
almost the end, you can get through it. Once you need to push it doesn't
seem to hurt as much.

Yeah -- pushing felt *good* in fact!

I totally agree with that!! I think the hardest part of my labor was when I
started pushing and felt such relief, and then had to stop for about 15
minutes to let a lip of cervix recede. OK, that and the "ring of fire"!

-kim

Old October 26th 04, 06:23 PM
Zannah

In article P1kfd.24059$%k.18760@pd7tw2no,
"Plissken" wrote:

"Lindy" wrote in message
im probably going to be induce this friday due to preclamsia. i will be
38 weeks on friday. im still waiting for the doctor to call and tell me
for sure.
my question is to anyone that has been induced. how did that go for
you?

I was induced at 42 weeks and 9 hours after they inserted the Cervadil my
daughter was born. You don't have a nice build up of early labour, at least
I didn't. It was straight into active labour for me. I was also
hypersensitive to the Cervadil so I had piggybacking contractions (3-4 in a
row) for the whole time I was in labour. That said it still wasn't as bad as
I had anticipated. I made it through with only 1 shot of Demerol (will never
take this again I got way too groggy). I was 2 weeks overdue so I'm sure my
experience will be much different to yours. Inductions are much more
successful the farther along you are. Having said that I will never be
induced again unless absolutely necessary. I would rather do without the
piggybacking contractions thanks. Good luck!

I had a similar experience - induced at 42 weeks with Cervadil. Was
given the medication at 9, my daughter was born at 11:30. My major
problem with the induction was they didn't realise that I'd gone into
labour immediately, so the nurse made me lie on the bed for two hours,
hooked up to a machine so they could monitor the baby's heartbeat. Not
fun, especially since I had some major hip pain by the end of my
pregnancy and lying on my back just made it MUCH MUCH worse.

And I wasn't allowed pain medication because the baby was "in distress".
(She wasn't; the monitor kept on falling off because I'd flip onto my
side as soon as the nurse left the room.)

On the plus side, throwing up is an excellent way of distracting you
from labour pains. My poor husband kept on trying to empty the basin,
and every time he got as far as the bathroom, I'd be screaming, no, no,
come back with that basin.

And, on the far more positive side, because it was such a short labour
and I hadn't had any drugs, I did find I bounced back from it much, much
faster than I did from giving birth to my first daughter (25 hours
labour with epidural).

Zannah.
Old October 27th 04, 09:30 AM
Anne Rogers

I had a similar experience - induced at 42 weeks with Cervadil. Was
given the medication at 9, my daughter was born at 11:30. My major
problem with the induction was they didn't realise that I'd gone into
labour immediately, so the nurse made me lie on the bed for two hours,
hooked up to a machine so they could monitor the baby's heartbeat. Not
fun, especially since I had some major hip pain by the end of my
pregnancy and lying on my back just made it MUCH MUCH worse.

Ouch, I had similar trouble, I had to be monitored for 20 mins before the
gel was inserted and and hour afterwards, given that I was already in early
labour I was contracting about every 3 minutes anyway, they were almost pain
free (it was very early labour) til I lay on my back, then it got bad, but I
called someone and they helped me get on my side and manages to get the
monitors to record fine.

Old October 27th 04, 04:57 PM

(Lindy) wrote in message ...
im probably going to be induce this friday due to preclamsia. i will be
38 weeks on friday. im still waiting for the doctor to call and tell me
for sure.
my question is to anyone that has been induced. how did that go for
you?

Not well -- my induction turned into a c-section -- but I was at 34
weeks with severe pre-eclampsia. If your doctor is willing to wait
until Friday, your case is mild. Pre-eclampsia and eclampsia are the
leading cause of maternal mortality worldwide and are *not* something
to be taken lightly; if your labs came back as a severe case, you'd be
admitted already unless your doctor were completely incompetent.

(FWIW, in case they tell you your numbers, pre-e is diagnosed if your
bp is higher than 140/90 and if you have a 24 hour urine catch with a
protein reading above 300 mg/dl. Severe pre-eclampsia is a bp with
either the systolic or the diastolic higher than 160/100 and/or a 24
hour urine catch with a protein reading above 5000. Blood labs will
confirm that your kidneys and liver are not functioning properly
because you will have skewed values of creatinine and uric acid.)

They will almost certainly put you on an IV of magnesium sulfate,
which is a smooth muscle relaxant, so it prevents seizures and lowers
bp a little, and have you lie on your left side, which improves blood
flow to the placenta, and possibly they will give you blood pressure
medication. You will probably also have an epidural because epidurals
tend to lower blood pressure.

Because I was earlier in the pregnancy, I spent 48 hours getting
steroid shots while on the bp meds and the mag. DS fell into the
category of babies who do not react well to labetelol and mag. He
stopped moving, then stopped practice breathing, then started having
heart decels, and so I had a c-section. The induction never got
further than about 4 hours worth of the prostaglandin gel. I never
even had a contraction. Hopefully your induction will be nothing like
that; you are much more likely to actually go into labor than a 34
weeker!

You might like to check the website
www.preeclampsia.org for more
information. There will be people posting there who had successful
inductions at 38 weeks while diagnosed with PE who can give you an
idea of how labor goes while on your left side on nasty drugs. Hang
in there and good luck. Pre-eclampsia is no fun.

--
C, mama to two year old nursling
Old October 27th 04, 05:02 PM

"Anne Rogers" wrote in message ...

the anecdotal evidence seems to be that inductions for pre-eclampsia seem
more likely to fail than those for ruptured membranes, I think because pe is
no indication of readiness to labour whereas ruptured membranes seems to be
a step in the right direction.

Plus magnesium sulfate is used to stop preterm contractions as well as
being used to stop eclamptic seizures, so you're fighting uphill.

--
C, mama to two year old nursling