Daycare poll

Old August 23rd 05, 02:51 PM
tracert

"P. Tierney" wrote in message
news:U9yOe.58648$084.12275@attbi_s22...
I'm looking for some honest responses. No explanation is required,
and no one will be called upon (by me, anyway) for their responses.
Anyone can answer, regardless as to whether or not it would apply
to you.

Question: If you were looking for a full or part-time at-home
daycare provider and you answered an ad for a new one in
your area and found that it was run by a man, would your
immediate gut reaction....

A. To consider it equally, without care of the gender of
who was running it.
B. Feel a twinge of uncertainty, but would likely get over
it and consider the place.
C. Would consider the place with plenty of reservations,
but probably put it last on your list.
D. Not give it another thought and look elsewhere.

D. - unless it was one of my brothers, who already have kids.

Follow-up Question: If the daycare were not at home,
but instead at a place of business, would that change your
answer at all to the above question?

No.

Old August 23rd 05, 03:15 PM
Nan

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 05:07:00 GMT, "P. Tierney"
wrote:

Question: If you were looking for a full or part-time at-home
daycare provider and you answered an ad for a new one in
your area and found that it was run by a man, would your
immediate gut reaction....

A. To consider it equally, without care of the gender of
who was running it.
B. Feel a twinge of uncertainty, but would likely get over
it and consider the place.
C. Would consider the place with plenty of reservations,
but probably put it last on your list.
D. Not give it another thought and look elsewhere.

D, because I wouldn't feel comfortable using a new one unless I
already knew the person running it, male or female.

I admit that C would likely be my reaction if it were an established
person.

Dh would initially say D, but may move up to C after giving it some
thought.

Follow-up Question: If the daycare were not at home,
but instead at a place of business, would that change your
answer at all to the above question?

If it was a new center, I still wouldn't use it. But I wouldn't have
an issue with male employees in a center.

Nan
Old August 23rd 05, 04:19 PM
Caledonia

P. Tierney wrote:

Question: If you were looking for a full or part-time at-home
daycare provider and you answered an ad for a new one in
your area and found that it was run by a man, would your
immediate gut reaction....

A. To consider it equally, without care of the gender of
who was running it.
B. Feel a twinge of uncertainty, but would likely get over
it and consider the place.
C. Would consider the place with plenty of reservations,
but probably put it last on your list.
D. Not give it another thought and look elsewhere.

C -- Not interested in home-based daycare and would feel awkward with a
sole (Male) provider. Alas.

Follow-up Question: If the daycare were not at home,
but instead at a place of business, would that change your
answer at all to the above question?

It would change to B.

Caledonia

Old August 23rd 05, 04:23 PM
Rosalie B.

dragonlady wrote:

In article U9yOe.58648$084.12275@attbi_s22,
"P. Tierney" wrote:

I'm looking for some honest responses. No explanation is required,
and no one will be called upon (by me, anyway) for their responses.
Anyone can answer, regardless as to whether or not it would apply
to you.

Question: If you were looking for a full or part-time at-home
daycare provider and you answered an ad for a new one in
your area and found that it was run by a man, would your
immediate gut reaction....

A. To consider it equally, without care of the gender of
who was running it.
B. Feel a twinge of uncertainty, but would likely get over
it and consider the place.
C. Would consider the place with plenty of reservations,
but probably put it last on your list.
D. Not give it another thought and look elsewhere.

E - Give it serious consideration, as I frequently look to expose my
kids to people who are working outside of gender stereotypes. That
means women doctors, man teachers, stuff like that.

That being said, the most important thing would be the quality of the
program, period. However, if I found it to be a quality place, I'd be
MORE likely to select it because a man was running it than less likely.

I never had to use daycare except for before and after school for my
son in kindergarten. My kids did go to pre-school. Some of my
grandchildren have been in daycare situations - both in a center and
in home based care - and one child has had a nanny for her children.
I don't know that any of the carers have been males.

I have had teen age boys as baby sitters, and didn't think anything
about it. Of course by that time, I had three or four kids, and some
of them were school aged. I would expect that if something was going
on, one of the older children would tell me.

I think the problem as someone else pointed out is that there are not
too many men in early childcare situations, and most of the pedophiles
are men and that makes people suspicious.

OTOH, I've also heard a lot of horror stories about nannies behaving
in ways that were not appropriate. So there's no guarantee that a
woman run daycare would be any better than a man run daycare. So I
think that I agree with Marie, that I'd look at the program first and
the sex of the provider second.

So my response would probably be A or B. I wouldn't go as far as
Marie and say E, but I think any daycare center that I considered
would get equal scrutiny regardless or who was the titular head.

Follow-up Question: If the daycare were not at home,
but instead at a place of business, would that change your
answer at all to the above question?

Nope.

Do you mean by this that the daycare would not be a sole person based
in a home, but a center of some kind?

In any case, I don't think it would change my answer.

grandma Rosalie
Old August 23rd 05, 05:46 PM
MsLiz

P. Tierney wrote:
[...]

Thanks in advance for honest responses.

LOL....I wouldn't touch this thread if my life depended on it
:-)

Old August 23rd 05, 05:55 PM
Sue

I don't have a clue what I would do, but I just wanted to say that I am
surprised at how many are not comfortable with home day care situations. My
mom had a daycare in her home and she was a wonderful provider for 20 years,
who never was without work. She would be very disappointed to hear how many
parents these days would not choose her type of setting. I personally would
go with a home provider if I had ever worked out of the house.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

"P. Tierney" wrote in message
[...]

P. Tierney

Old August 23rd 05, 05:59 PM
Barbara Bomberger

My answer would be a.My kids have had many, many good experience with
male provoders. Although they were not in day care, my now twenty six
year old daughter had a teenage boy who babysat when she went out.

Barb

Old August 23rd 05, 06:00 PM
Emily

DS (3yo) is at a daycare/preschool (not home based) whose director
is a man. There are also several male teachers at the center,
and we find that quite an asset. I think it's wonderful for
the children to have both male and female care givers as role
models.

When DS was much smaller (4.5mo-13mo) he was in home-based
care, with the wife of a graduate student from the department
I was teaching in. I liked that he got one-on-one care at
at that age (actually, more like 2-on-one, since the care giver
had a 4yo son who actively helped entertain DS), and it was
important for my comfort level that the care-giver was part
of my community. It seemed less likely that anything untowards
would happen, since we knew lots of the same people (and indeed
nothing did --- she was wonderful for DS, too boot).

It's hard for me to imagine picking an at-home daycare provider
from an ad in a newspaper (male or female), but if for some
reason I was, if I'm honest, I'd have to say that it would give
me pause to see a man in that role. Nonetheless, I'd like to
think I'd look into it further. If the care provider was also
caring for his own children, I'd feel more comfortable about it.
In order to feel comfortable with *anyone* in that role, I'd
want to talk to other parents whose children they'd cared for.
I guess that makes my answer B.

For the follow up question, see the first paragraph above.

Emily
--
DS 5/02
EDD Labor Day 9/5/05
Old August 23rd 05, 06:01 PM
Barbara Bomberger

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 16:38:47 +1000, "Tai" wrote:

P. Tierney wrote:
I'm looking for some honest responses. No explanation is required,
and no one will be called upon (by me, anyway) for their responses.
Anyone can answer, regardless as to whether or not it would apply
to you.

Question: If you were looking for a full or part-time at-home
daycare provider and you answered an ad for a new one in
your area and found that it was run by a man, would your
immediate gut reaction....

A. To consider it equally, without care of the gender of
who was running it.
B. Feel a twinge of uncertainty, but would likely get over
it and consider the place.
C. Would consider the place with plenty of reservations,
but probably put it last on your list.
D. Not give it another thought and look elsewhere.

I would almost always choose centre-based care over at-home care but if that
wasn't the case - option B, but only if he was looking after his own
pre-school child(ren) as well - otherwise, option D)..

And if he's in day care for a long time and his kids are now grown
into school agers?

Follow-up Question: If the daycare were not at home,
but instead at a place of business, would that change your
answer at all to the above question?

All other things being equal I would prefer to send my child to a daycare
centre that had both men and women carers so I would consider him a rare
asset in that environment - option A+

Tai

Old August 23rd 05, 06:05 PM
Nan

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 12:55:35 -0400, "Sue"
wrote:

I don't have a clue what I would do, but I just wanted to say that I am
surprised at how many are not comfortable with home day care situations. My
mom had a daycare in her home and she was a wonderful provider for 20 years,
who never was without work. She would be very disappointed to hear how many
parents these days would not choose her type of setting. I personally would
go with a home provider if I had ever worked out of the house.

I've had bad experiences with home dcp's when my ds was young.
However, I would use a home dcp as long as they were licensed. I
wouldn't use a home dcp or center that wasn't established, though.

Nan