Schools started - suggest me what is good for snack for kids, what type of Lunch should I keep?

Old September 9th 05, 08:41 PM
Barbara Bomberger

On Fri, 9 Sep 2005 12:06:07 -0400, "Stephanie"
wrote:

"Staycalm" wrote in message
. au...
"-L." wrote in message
ups.com...

John wrote:

Potato chips, the guilt-ridden yet extremely popular convenience snack,
is
totally verboten in my son's kidergarten class. School officials have
said,
very explictly, "DO NOT PACK POTATO CHIPS IN LUNCHES." Cheetos are
particularly offensive as the same orientation sheet also reads, "DO NOT
PACK CHEETOS IN LUNCHES" just a few lines down from the generic chip
ban.

Why not chips? That just seems stupid. Cheetos I can see because of
the mess. But if you are going to ban messy foods, the list is
incredibly long. I hate this kind of micromanagement in schools. I
don't even support the peanut butter ban. If they are going to ban
peanut butter, they might as well ban bees in the school yard. Far
more people are allergic to bees. What about other nuts that are made
in facilities that process peanuts? Those have just as much potential
for causing reaction in many students. The whole thing is just out of
hand, IMO. Where do you draw the line?

-L.

Why not chips? Because they have absolutely no nutritional value
whatsoever. High in fat and salt - why would you feed them to your
children when they could be eating all the wonderful tasting healthy foods
that are around!

Liz

While I agree that chips are not a great food, it really is not the school's
business to tell the parents how to feed their children. And even if it
were, simply banning potato chips is not a very effective way of doing so.,=

Now that I have actually seen the whole thread, I agree.

I can see cheetos or cheese sticks, perhaps on account of the mess
factor (that fake orange stuff gets all over your hands and stuff).

Or maybe theyre afraid kids will exchange food??

But other than that.......I thought the original thread was abuot
bringing snack for the whole class,..

Old September 11th 05, 01:50 PM
shinypenny

Schools started, somebody should suggest me, what I am suppose to keep
for snack for kids, also for lunch (health ones), also where can I get
those snack an dlunch types. Appreciated.

Here's a list of the sort of items we keep on hand throughout the year
for packing lunches. The girls mostly pack their own these days. I tell
them they must select one protein item, one dairy item, one "starch"
and one fruit and/or veggie. Neither one likes to eat sandwiches or
lunch meat, so they tend to take along separated items instead (like a
bagel plus a slice of cheese, but not put together in a sandwich).

I have one shelf in our pantry and one shelf in the fridge dedicated to
these items, to make it easy and quick to select and assemble the
lunches in the morning. I keep lunch bags, plastic baggies, tin foil,
plastic containers, plasticware, and napkins all together in one area
of the kitchen near the fridge and pantry shelf for quick assembly.

PROTEIN

- Various nuts (girls like pistachios, almonds, macademias, and toasted
pine nuts in particular)
- Various seeds like sunflower or those "trail mixes"
- Peanut butter
- Hummus spread
- A variety of canned beans
- Hardboiled eggs (I prepare a batch on sunday; when the kids were
younger, I'd let them take the egg slicer with them to school because
they thought it was cool)
- Canned tuna (sometimes I'll splurge and get the individual size with
the pull-top lid)
- Leftover cold meat/chicken from the night before; chopped into
bite-size pieces
- Pre-cooked shrimp & cocktail sauce (one of DD12's all-time favorite
lunch items... expensive, but healthy!)
- Tofu

DAIRY

- Cheese (at any given time, this might be a choice of block cheese
that needs to be sliced/cubed, prewrapped slices, those cute individual
guoudas, mozzarella sticks, or fresh mini mozz balls. Although the
prewrapped and individual size cheese cost a little more, the girls
think they are "cute" so every now and then we splurge.)

- Yogurt (individual size with whole milk, and also those gogurts; I am
not too particular about whether it is the "junky" type or not. DD11
tends to opt frequently for the junky type, but she loves milk and
drinks it 2-3 times a day so I don't fret. DD12 never drinks milk, so
if I can get a junky yogurt into her, I figure it's better than
nothing).

- Whole-milk pudding (when they start getting bored of cheese and
yogurt)

STARCH

Kids rarely eat sandwich bread, so we keep on hand:
- Rice (we have a rice steamer and always have cooked, fresh rice on
hand... this is usually their favorite starch to bring; sometimes we
make rice balls - roll the rice into a ball, roll the ball in fish
sprinkles, then wrap in Nori).
- whole wheat pitas
- bagels (they LOVE the mini-size bagels)
- mini-croissants (every now and then treat)
- crackers
- pretzels
- Doritos w/salsa (they are allowed these once a week only)
- Popcorn
- Cereal (cheerios, chex, Puffins, etc... they take it dry in a baggie)
- Leftover cold pasta (tortellini is a favorite)
- Banana bread (I make this on occasion for a change of pace; I use a
pre-packaged mix but add mushy bananas, wheat germ, and walnuts to the
mix).

FRUIT/VEGGIE

Varies week by week depending on season and what's on sale... bananas,
apples, grapes, strawberries, blueberries, cherries, and watermelon are
typical favorites. They used to like raisins, but both stopped liking
them. Instead they like dried apricots.

For veggies, most typical options include carrots, celery sticks,
broccoli florets, cherry tomatoes, and baby spinach. I also keep on
hand canned vegetable soups. DD12 loves these. We cook the soup in the
morning, and put it in a thermos where it stays warm for lunch. Or she
might bring leftover soup (I make a big batch of soup for dinner at
least once a week in the fall and winter).

MISCELLANEOUS

- Breakfast or granola bars
- Olives (black, kalamata, green, and "assorted")
- Capers
- Stuffed grape leaves
- Individual-sized sushi (california roll) prepared meal (comes in a
plastic container from the sushi counter) - another expensive, but
healthy favorite of DD12 that I will splurge on about once a month as a
treat for her.

DD11 has simpler tastes than DD12. DD11 will tend to simply grab one
protein, one dairy, one fruit, one veggie, one starch, and be done.
DD12, OTOH, will get very involved making her lunch. About 3 times a
week, she'll make herself an elaborate salad with baby spinach, olives,
capers, cheese, nuts, etc. Sometimes I can con her into making me a
lunch, too. :-)

For drinks, I keep on hand bottled water, in the small size. DD11 will
also often purchase milk at school. DD12 hates milk. I've got both
trained to only drink soda when we're at a restaurant, and they both
long ago started loathing juice boxes so we gave up on those.

As for snacks, I never really gave them a separate snack. Instead, they
just pull out one item from their lunch and eat that at snack-time. A
piece of fruit if they're not that hungry, or cheese or egg or whatever
if they are.

When they were younger, we did splurge on those Lunchables once a week,
on Fridays. I figured they ate healthy enough throughout the week, one
day wouldn't hurt, and it sure made things easy. But they've since
turned up their noses at those and think they're totally gross.

Now that they are at middle school, they keep on hand a few $ in case
they want to buy something at the cafeteria or forget their lunch. Both
have said they prefer to keep bringing their lunch, but I suspect that
DD11, who could eat pizza 7 days a week, will opt for that on pizza
days.

And yes, on occasion they do get a "treat" in their lunch such as
Pringles or cheetos or pop-tarts or leftover bday cake or even
(horrors) candy. It is relatively rare, but I will sometimes include a
totally junky item on special days, like when they have a big test or
have been feeling down lately. Maybe I'm a bad mother, but I'll often
give them two treats, with a note that they should share the second one
with a friend!

Hope that helps!

jen

Old September 11th 05, 03:05 PM

I have three kids, a big pantry and I buy in bulk. I do tend to keep
some convenience foods around for lunches, so the 15 that get produced
weekly at our house and taken to school are easy to assemble.

Typical stuff that goes into lunches.

Fruit, pudding or jello cups. Cereal/granola bars of various kinds.
Fruit leathers or gummies of various kinds. Goldfish crackers or
crackers and cheese (assorted types out there). Occasionally cookies
(as a treat those fancy Mrs. Field's chocolate chip cookies that come
individually wrapped). String cheese. Yoghurt tubes. Drink boxes.
Almost never chips - its hard enough to get kids to eat reasonable
stuff without letting them have chips - which they will eat first and
then ignore the rest of their lunch.

Sandwiches - made with bagels, soft tacos or wraps, pitas, kaiser buns,
and rarely plain old bread. The kids don't like anything smelly or
messy. The younger two (7 and 11) rarely eat a whole sandwich - if its
on a bagel, I often just give them half of one.

Hot lunches - we have all-metal wide mouth thermos jars which are great
for putting hot stuff into (in fact, they tend to keep stuff TOO hot,
so I have to watch the temperature of what I put in there). The problem
with a thermos of anything is that the younger ones don't put the lid
back on tightly and you end up with a mess in the lunch box.

Fresh fruit, veggies and dip, pieces of cheese.

No matter what you pack, be prepared to be dismayed by what they eat
and don't eat. Drives me nuts. They beg for stuff and don't eat it. You
pack healthy stuff and they trade with their friends for junk. They eat
all the desserts and not the sandwich. Etc. Etc. Etc.

Mary
eatdon't eat

Old September 11th 05, 04:31 PM
MsLiz

Why not chips? Read on....

Acrylamide is in the news today!
Dr. Greene has been concerned about acrylamide since 2002 when The
World Health Organization convened an emergency expert panel in to
evaluate the potential health threats of acrylamide, a known toxic
substance possibly created by heating starchy foods to high
temperatures. The initial study in Sweden that suggested starches
produce acrylamide, conducted early in 2002, was viewed with
skepticism. But the formation of acrylamide in this way has now been
confirmed by independent studies in England, Norway, Switzerland,
Germany, and the United States.
The WHO expert panel unanimously concluded that the results of these
studies are valid. They also unanimously agreed there is a major
concern that the levels of acrylamide found in some potato chips and
French fries could cause cancer. The amount of acrylamide varies from
brand to brand, and between cooking techniques. The Center for Science
in the Public Interest has commissioned testing of levels in some US
brands. The acrylamide in a large order of fast food fries was at least
300 times the amount allowed by the EPA in a glass of water. One brand
studied contained 600 times the EPA amount.

Besides agreeing on their cancer concern, and on the validity of the
studies done so far, the panel called for urgent new research to
further define the scope of the risk and the extent of the problem. In
the meantime, they are urging a balanced diet with lots of fruits and
vegetables, while decreasing the amounts of fried foods. They said it
is too early to specify which fried foods should be avoided.

Based on the evidence currently available, I would go further. In good
conscience, I could not recommend that children eat French fries,
potato chips, or corn chips until further research is in, or until the
brand has been tested and found to have low levels. I recognize that
French fries and potato chips are favorite items on kids' menus
everywhere, but the benefits just do not justify the risks!

I would also like to see labeling on foods to indicate the presence and
amount of acrylamide, so that people can make an informed choice about
the risks for themselves and for their kids.

Or this:
http://www.ems.org/cancer_prevention/potato_chips.pdf

Old September 11th 05, 05:37 PM
bizby40

"MsLiz" wrote in message
oups.com...
Why not chips? Read on....

Whether or not chips are good for you is not the point. The question is,
does a school have the right to dictate to parents what they pack in their
child's lunch? I can see banning things like gum that can cause problems
for the school. But I don't think the school has a right to dictate based
solely on nutritional content. That is, I think every parent has the right
to decide what to feed their own children, and the school should not be
allowed to intervene unless it will adversely affect the school, or the
other students.

Bizby

Old September 11th 05, 10:01 PM
MsLiz

bizby40 wrote:
"MsLiz" wrote in message
oups.com...
Why not chips? Read on....

Whether or not chips are good for you is not the point. The question is,
does a school have the right to dictate to parents what they pack in their
child's lunch? I can see banning things like gum that can cause problems
for the school. But I don't think the school has a right to dictate based
solely on nutritional content. That is, I think every parent has the right
to decide what to feed their own children, and the school should not be
allowed to intervene unless it will adversely affect the school, or the
other students.

Bizby

Someone asked what's wrong with chips so I reponded with what I know
about them. Many people aren't aware of this issue. A dear friend of
mine, a pediatric facial cranial expert, shared the potato chip
information with me. He is not a health food fanatic (as I am :-) but
he will not allow chips in their household.

Are you against schools trying to ban soda machines and candy machines
in an effort to do something to curb obesity? Or is it that you don't
like the school telling you what your child can bring to school? FYI,
my daughter's current school has no restrictions whatsoever
(elementary).

If I were given a choice between two schools; one that had a fairly
long list of restricted foods (the unhealthier choices) and one had no
restrictions, I'd definitely choose the restricted foods.

Old September 11th 05, 10:25 PM
Jeanne

MsLiz wrote:
bizby40 wrote:

"MsLiz" wrote in message
groups.com...

[...]

People know that chips aren't healthy, as they also know candy isn't
good and soda is probably more chemical than natural.

Are you against schools trying to ban soda machines and candy machines
in an effort to do something to curb obesity? Or is it that you don't
like the school telling you what your child can bring to school? FYI,
my daughter's current school has no restrictions whatsoever
(elementary).

I'm against schools making money by stocking vending machines with soda
and candy. I haven't found many schools trying to "ban" soda machines -
it's not like students can bring their own vending machines to school
with them.

Jeanne
Old September 11th 05, 11:15 PM
-L.

MsLiz wrote:

Whether or not chips are good for you is not the point. The question is,
does a school have the right to dictate to parents what they pack in their
child's lunch? I can see banning things like gum that can cause problems
for the school. But I don't think the school has a right to dictate based
solely on nutritional content. That is, I think every parent has the right
to decide what to feed their own children, and the school should not be
allowed to intervene unless it will adversely affect the school, or the
other students.

Bizby

Someone asked what's wrong with chips so I reponded with what I know
about them.

That wasn't the question. I don't think anyone argues that potato
chips are a healty food. Bizby pointed out the real issue - Why is it
the school's business what I pack in my child's lunch? If a school
told me I couldn't pack chips in my son's lunch because they aren't
healthful I'd tell them to go to hell. (Not that I'd choose chips,
mind you, just that it is my right to do so if I so choose...)

Many people aren't aware of this issue. A dear friend of
mine, a pediatric facial cranial expert, shared the potato chip
information with me. He is not a health food fanatic (as I am :-) but
he will not allow chips in their household.

Polymerized acrylamide is inert. I think this is another whacko scare
tactic.

Are you against schools trying to ban soda machines and candy machines
in an effort to do something to curb obesity?

That's their choice if they choose to do so - I can send a bag of M&Ms
with my kid in his lunch if that's what I want him to eat.

Or is it that you don't
like the school telling you what your child can bring to school? FYI,
my daughter's current school has no restrictions whatsoever
(elementary).

If I were given a choice between two schools; one that had a fairly
long list of restricted foods (the unhealthier choices) and one had no
restrictions, I'd definitely choose the restricted foods.

Because you like someone else telling you how to live your life
or.....what? IMO, that's absurd.

-L.

Old September 11th 05, 11:24 PM
toypup

"-L." wrote in message
oups.com...

MsLiz wrote:
If I were given a choice between two schools; one that had a fairly
long list of restricted foods (the unhealthier choices) and one had no
restrictions, I'd definitely choose the restricted foods.

Because you like someone else telling you how to live your life
or.....what? IMO, that's absurd.

Because she likes that she can control what her kids are exposed to while
they're in school. She doesn't want her kids exposed to junk food. Junk
food is banned. She *chooses* to send her kids to that school. What's it
to you? If you could have that choice, you'd choose the other school.

Old September 11th 05, 11:29 PM
Staycalm

"-L." wrote in message
oups.com...
If I were given a choice between two schools; one that had a fairly
long list of restricted foods (the unhealthier choices) and one had no
restrictions, I'd definitely choose the restricted foods.

Because you like someone else telling you how to live your life
or.....what? IMO, that's absurd.

Oh for goodness sake - we live our whole lives being told what to do and how
to live your life - by governments, our bosses, heaps of other authorities.
Don't kid yourself.
Related to the food issue - maybe some people do know better than to include
unhealthy things likes chips and sweets and fizzy drinks in their kid's
lunches. But many do this every day out of ignorence or lazyness. So what if
a school says please don't give them chips in their lunches. My original
point was about looking at all the other better for them foods you could
include.
We all suffer from a lack of imagination when it comes to treats or snacks.
I don't mind in the least if someone wants to help me do the better thing
for my child's health. I like to think we are all working together for the
same thing - healthier children - the healthier adults of the future!

Liz