Celebrating Menarche

Old July 16th 04, 12:21 AM
Sue

Default Celebrating Menarche

I plan to take said daughter out to dinner or as one daughter has requested
to a day at the spa. It is a very special event and I do plan on celebrating
it. My mom did nothing and frankly I am glad she didn't. We didn't have that
type of relationship, but my daughters and I do. While I wouldn't have a
party per se, but a special night out with me will be in order.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

"cheekymama" wrote in message
lkaboutparenting.com...
Its funny how many people reply with ICK or YUK or why would you want to
celebrate that? ANYWAY...
As a mom of a girl who will be starting her womanly cycle soon, I also
would like advice on celebratory traditions for when my daughter enters
this new wonderful womanhood. I know Im not gonna get any advice from my
family, as "Christians" alot of them look at it as some sort of dirty
thing to be hidden. WHATEVER. It would make it so much easier if people
who didnt like the idea and thought of it as icky, would just not reply,
then those of us who ARE interested in CELEBRATING with our daughters, the
wonder that is Menarche...we could do so without having to sift through
dozens of emails that werent helpful.

Old July 16th 04, 06:48 AM
animzmirot

"dragonlady" wrote in message
In article , Patty
wrote:

cheekymama wrote:
[...]

Your daughter will probably just hate you for this a couple of years.= )
I was so mad at my mom for letting everyone know!!

I wonder if this is partly how it's talked about at home? We didn't
have a public celebration, but we did have a family celebration, and
neither of my daughters was terribly upset about it.

But talking about things like menarche is not considered embarrassing in
this house, so having the rest of the family know wasn't a Big Deal.

(My only concern is that we didn't have anything similar for my son, but
he didn't seem concerned. I talked to him about it once, and he just
shrugged it off.)

I wonder, if there was some other kind of coming of age celebration for both
boys and girls, would you (the cumulative you) even consider celebrating
menarche which, to me, is such a personal thing. I mean, we talk about it in
our family and we're very very open about sex, but I don't think a 10 year
old girl needs to share her bodily functions with her brother, celebratory
or not. If one does celebrate this, I don't see it as a family affair, but
rather a private mother/daughter thing. YMMV, of course.

Marjorie

Old July 22nd 04, 12:51 PM
Chookie

In article ,
dragonlady wrote:

(My only concern is that we didn't have anything similar for my son, but
he didn't seem concerned. I talked to him about it once, and he just
shrugged it off.)

Oh, that's easy -- after his first wet dream, he gets to do the washing! :-)

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"Life is like a cigarette -- smoke it to the butt." -- Harvie Krumpet