SafeMinds Group Bash's PrimeTime Live For Last Night's Autism Story

Old April 23rd 04, 08:13 PM
Mr. Controversy

Default SafeMinds Group Bash's PrimeTime Live For Last Night's Autism Story

This group "Safe Minds" put out a press release today bashing the
PrimeTime Live news report on ABC last night on Autism. The headline
is: "ABC's Primetime Live Report on Autism: Yellow Journalism At It's
Worst"

They are claiming that they misled the public about the dangers of a
vaccine for children: "Their mistake has the effect of misleading
countless audience members on the very real threat that
Thimerosal-containing vaccines pose to their children."

Check out the story by clicking he
http://education.arrivenet.com/article.php?aid=296735

I've wondered about all the vaccines they are giving to kids today.
It's like the drug companies have moved from pushing pills to the
elderly to vacinating our kids for everything. Of course, there is
also something to be said about preventing serious disease also. What
are your thoughts on the issue? Read the article for yourself and see
if they are on a tangent or right on the money.
Old April 23rd 04, 10:04 PM
M.a.r.k P.r.o.b.e.r.t-April 23, 2004

"Mr. Controversy" wrote in message
om...
This group "Safe Minds" put out a press release today bashing the
PrimeTime Live news report on ABC last night on Autism. The headline
is: "ABC's Primetime Live Report on Autism: Yellow Journalism At It's
Worst"

NoMinds is having a hissy fit because they were not listed as a resource by
ABC. See:

http://abcnews.go.com/Sections/Primetime/

This is a superb article and gives some insight into what parents of special
children have to go through. Three autistic kids in one family is certainly
a heavy load, anbd this family is to be admired for their herculean efforts.
My hearty congrats to ABC for showing this, and to the family.

Shame on NoMinds for thier hissy fit.

They are claiming that they misled the public about the dangers of a
vaccine for children: "Their mistake has the effect of misleading
countless audience members on the very real threat that
Thimerosal-containing vaccines pose to their children."

Check out the story by clicking he
http://education.arrivenet.com/article.php?aid=296735

read the original

I've wondered about all the vaccines they are giving to kids today.

Stop wondering and start learning.

Do you realize that you posted utter bull****?

Of course, there is
also something to be said about preventing serious disease also. What
are your thoughts on the issue? Read the article for yourself and see
if they are on a tangent or right on the money.

NoMinds is off its rocker.

Old April 24th 04, 05:17 AM
Mr. Controversy

"M.a.r.k P.r.o.b.e.r.t-April 23, 2004" M.a.r.k P.r.o.b.e.r.t wrote in message ...
[...]

Thanks for the response to my post.

The only thing that I take issue with what you said is my comment
about the number or prescriptions that are taken by the elderly and
how many of them may be inappropriate and benefiting nobody other than
the drug companies. Your response was that what I posted was "utter
bull****". You might want to read the posts below before you jump to
those kind of conclusions, unless all of these organizations, like
JAMA and medical professionals are also off their rocker too in your
opinion...

http://www.globalaging.org/health/world/finelder.htm
http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releas...-sei020504.php
http://health.arrivenet.com/article.php?id=282233
http://www.geriatrictimes.com/g010301a.html

"Despite their accounting for only 14% of the population, the elderly
receive more than one-third of all prescribed medications (Shelton et
al., 2000)."

Other than this, and "stop wondering and start learning" I appreciated
your response. I think I've now given some pretty solid information
to support my "utter bull****" opinion. Thanks again.
Old April 24th 04, 11:39 AM
M.a.r.k P.r.o.b.e.r.t-April 23, 2004

wrote in message
[...]

Wehll, duh...many diseases are those which only show up when a person is
older....

Other than this, and "stop wondering and start learning" I appreciated
your response. I think I've now given some pretty solid information
to support my "utter bull****" opinion. Thanks again.

The utter bull**** was your specious analogy between vaccination and the use
of meds in the elderly, not what you incorrectly inferred.

Old April 26th 04, 06:26 PM
CBI

(Mr. Controversy) wrote in message . com...

The only thing that I take issue with what you said is my comment
about the number or prescriptions that are taken by the elderly and
how many of them may be inappropriate and benefiting nobody other than
the drug companies. Your response was that what I posted was "utter
bull****". You might want to read the posts below before you jump to
those kind of conclusions, unless all of these organizations, like
JAMA and medical professionals are also off their rocker too in your
opinion...

I think you miss the point of the issue with medications for the
elderly. There is a list of POTENTIALLY inappropriate drugs for
elderly people, commonly known as the Beer's list, which has recently
been updated (and so is again in the media). It provides a list of
medications that have a high risk of side effects in elderly people
and usually have safer alternatives. It does not mean that the drugs
should never be given to the elderly - just that one should do so with
extra caution. Having said that, I would agree that all too often the
person is on the potentially innappropriate medication for reasons
other than a careful consideration of the risks and benefits of all
available treatment options (including no treatment).

Now, here is the part that calls your analogy into question: Usually
the Beer's drugs are the older (read: generic/cheaper) meds and the
safer alternatives are the newer still patented ones. So, while
inadequate regard for the Beer's list is a problem, it hurts the
pharmaceutical industry more than it helps it. If everyone followed
the current recommendations regarding these meds in elderly pateints
many of them would be switched over to the drugs the pharmaceutical
companies would much rather they be taking.

--
CBI, MD