OK Mom forces DHS to investigate fosters-they're charged

Old June 25th 03, 08:24 PM
Fern5827

Default OK Mom forces DHS to investigate fosters-they're charged

Mom fights infant son's battle; foster parents to face charges

ALI MEYER reports

Updated: June 19, 2003 3:54 PM

For weeks, Crystal Caldwell has been begging DHS to put her baby's foster
parents behind bars. She says they nearly starved her baby boy to death.

Because her son is just an infant, Caldwell has been his voice. She's been
fighting for him for weeks, praying for justice because she says his foster
parents nearly killed him.

"He did nothing to them," Caldwell said. "So, for them to do something like
this to him, it's just awful."

Last month Caldwell's infant son was taken to Baptist hospital. Hospital
records show he was crying and emaciated. Thanks to Caldwell's efforts, and a
DHS investigation, the foster parents, Jason and Stephanie States will faces
charges for child abuse and child neglect.

"I feel good. It feels great to know they're going to get at least half of what
they did to him," Caldwell said.

Caldwell calls her battle a success. She's a champion, not only for her own
abused son, but for every DHS child in need of a voice.

"Hopefully, this will help someone else. And foster parents need to know you
can't do this to these children," she said.

Crystal's son was released from the hospital two weeks ago. He is still in the
foster care system, but continues to gain weight and should be going home to
Caldwell, his biological mother, in about a month.