Curfew powers for new UK Child Support Agency

Old December 16th 06, 05:41 PM posted to alt.child-support
[email protected]

Default Curfew powers for new UK Child Support Agency

That's all the idiots over hear need to get a hold of.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uklatest/s...277752,00.html

Curfew power for child support body

Press Association
Wednesday December 13, 2006 1:58 PM

The Government has unveiled plans to replace the Child Support Agency
with a powerful new Child Maintenance and Enforcement Commission.

The body will be able to use measures such as confiscating passports
and imposing curfews on parents who repeatedly fail to pay maintenance.

But Work and Pensions Secretary John Hutton rejected calls for £3.5
billion of CSA debt to be written off, insisting he believed only £50
million was irrecoverable.

Mandatory withholding of wages from parents who do not pay up is to be
piloted, and the new Child Maintenance and Enforcement Commission
(C-Mec) will be able to recover cash owed from the estates of deceased
parents, according to Mr Hutton.

The plans would see an end to the requirement that all lone parents
with care responsibilities who claim state benefits - mostly mothers -
must also submit a claim to receive child maintenance.

Registering the names of both parents at birth is also to become
compulsory "unless it would be unreasonable to do so".

Mr Hutton told MPs he had rejected recommendations for a "general"
write-off of maintenance arrears, which was suggested by Sir David
Henshaw earlier this year following his review of the CSA.

"There are some limited cases where we will need to deal with
completely irrecoverable debt - for example, where the parent with care
or the non-resident parent is deceased or where the parent with care
has asked for a cessation of recovery activity.

"In total, I do not expect these debts to exceed £50 million."

© Copyright Press Association Ltd 2006, All Rights Reserved.

Old December 18th 06, 02:53 AM posted to alt.child-support
John Meyer

wrote:
That's all the idiots over hear need to get a hold of.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uklatest/s...277752,00.html

I'd like to see the CSE try.
Our constitution forbids the taking of life, limb OR liberty without due
process. That means a judge. Now, I have no doubt that some dips out
there would do that to people found in contempt, but how in the hell do
you expect them to work overtime when they're wearing a Mexican Rolex?
Old December 18th 06, 03:02 AM posted to alt.child-support
Gini

"John Meyer" wrote

I'd like to see the CSE try.
Our constitution forbids the taking of life, limb OR liberty without due
process.

==
....except in family court. You forgot that part. OTOH, maybe you didn't know
about that part.

Old December 18th 06, 03:15 AM posted to alt.child-support
John Meyer

Gini wrote:
"John Meyer" wrote

I'd like to see the CSE try.
Our constitution forbids the taking of life, limb OR liberty without due
process.

==
...except in family court. You forgot that part. OTOH, maybe you didn't know
about that part.

Yep, sorry Gini, I thought were were dealing with people with
compassion, mercy, and common sense. Thanks for reminding me.