Wind players and pregnancy

Old November 12th 05, 12:14 AM

Default Wind players and pregnancy

I am a Master's student in classical saxophone performance. My husband
and I would like to start a family soon, but if I were pregnant, what
effect would that have on my performance? I am concerned by what I
have heard about symptoms of breathlessness - could I still make it
through a couple concerti in a single evening? Are there any classical
wind players out there who could give me an idea of what to expect?

Old November 12th 05, 02:11 AM
Linda

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am a Master's student in classical saxophone performance. My husband
and I would like to start a family soon, but if I were pregnant, what
effect would that have on my performance? I am concerned by what I
have heard about symptoms of breathlessness - could I still make it
through a couple concerti in a single evening? Are there any classical
wind players out there who could give me an idea of what to expect?

I'm not a professional performer - I majored in composition but trumpet is
my first instrument and I teach a few other wind instruments as well.
I don't know about other people, but my expereience has not so much been
breathlessness but the fact that my diaphragm can no longer support my notes
and I've lost control of the steadiness. I can't push the notes out like I
could before and I struggle with playing for any length of time. I think
just because it is more work I probably get out of breath so maybe that's
where that part comes in for me.
This has only been my personal experience though - and I must say that while
I've played and been a musician for almost 20 years (wow that makes me sound
old - I'm not really!!) I haven't practised everyday so perhaps my tummy
muscles were not as strong to begin with as yours would be.

Hope this helps

Old November 12th 05, 05:41 PM
oregonchick

"Linda" wrote in message ...

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am a Master's student in classical saxophone performance. My husband
and I would like to start a family soon, but if I were pregnant, what
effect would that have on my performance? I am concerned by what I
have heard about symptoms of breathlessness - could I still make it
through a couple concerti in a single evening? Are there any classical
wind players out there who could give me an idea of what to expect?

I'm not a professional performer - I majored in composition but trumpet is
my first instrument and I teach a few other wind instruments as well.

You rock! I also play trumpet, wanted to major in music education but wound
up in accounting... I still love to play, but haven't for about a year. I
need to find a local ensemble to play with.

I don't know about other people, but my expereience has not so much been
breathlessness but the fact that my diaphragm can no longer support my
notes and I've lost control of the steadiness. I can't push the notes out
like I could before and I struggle with playing for any length of time.

The high notes for me were much more difficult to hit, and maintaining a
steady tone got increasingly difficult in my last pregnancy. I did find
longer notes harder to hold as well.

Betsy

Old November 13th 05, 04:15 PM
Michelle J. Haines

Mum of Two wrote:
"Michelle J. Haines" wrote in message

There's definitely an increased shortness of breath, but playing a typical
concert shouldn't be too hard. It's a gradual growth, so you have time
to adjust, and I did have to change how I sat to open up my lungs more.

I was waiting for you to respond. I thought, OMG, Michelle's sig line is
on-topic. It cracked me up.

Thppppppppppppppppppt

Michelle
Flutist
Old November 20th 05, 02:00 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

"oregonchick" wrote in message

"Linda" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am a Master's student in classical saxophone performance. My husband
and I would like to start a family soon, but if I were pregnant, what
effect would that have on my performance? I am concerned by what I
have heard about symptoms of breathlessness - could I still make it
through a couple concerti in a single evening? Are there any classical
wind players out there who could give me an idea of what to expect?

I'm not a professional performer - I majored in composition but trumpet
is my first instrument and I teach a few other wind instruments as well.

You rock! I also play trumpet, wanted to major in music education but
wound up in accounting... I still love to play, but haven't for about a
year. I need to find a local ensemble to play with.

Thanks (Blush) - I would imagine accounting is more reliable for making an
income than composition - my parents couldn't understand why I didn't want
to do something conventional like nursing!!
Feel like coming to Australia every Monday night? I'm the director of a
community Jazz band and we could always do with more trumpets ; )