Well I have GD, now what? Can I avoid needless interventions?

Old August 21st 03, 03:28 AM
jjmoreta

Default Well I have GD, now what? Can I avoid needless interventions?

I failed my 3 hr GTT today. I don't have the numbers (failed 3 out of the
4), but they will be mailed to me so I should have them by Monday. I see a
diabetic clinic at one of the local hospitals sometime this week.

I haven't been able to find a lot of specific info about GD. I know its
caused by a placental hormone. I know I was at increased risk because I am
overweight, and may have been at increased risk because my mother had
undiagnosed GD with me (only diagnosed in 9th month). I know that women
with GD have higher rates of induction and c-sections because of the fear of
macrosomia. I know that diagnoses of macrosomia via u/s aren't always
accurate either, leading to unnecessary interventions. Other than that,
there's not a lot out there that I've been able to find.

I am hoping to control this by diet and avoid insulin. But now from other
stories I've heard, I'm afraid that they'll want to induce me! I've been
formulating my birth plan (seeing what choices I have in all of this) with
the eye towards avoiding all possible intervention. Now that I'm high risk
I'm not so sure I can avoid it, particularly if I end up needing insulin
from what I've read.

Can anyone offer me hope? Maybe point me towards some good websites or
books I can find in a library?

I'm starting a GD diet tomorrow that was recommended to me (every physician
and clinic has a different one anyways) just in case (I'm used to
low-carbing so cutting out simple and any unnecessary carbs won't be so hard
for me - they were hard to add back into my diet in the first place). From
what I've read, if I can get this under control with diet, things won't be
so bad for me. Is this true?

- Joanne
#1 - 28w1d

Old August 21st 03, 03:29 PM
Circe

"jjmoreta" wrote in message
I failed my 3 hr GTT today. I don't have the numbers (failed 3 out of the
4), but they will be mailed to me so I should have them by Monday. I see

diabetic clinic at one of the local hospitals sometime this week.

First, try reading Ericka's post in the thread titled "3 hour glucose test".
There is very little research to suggest that doing *anything* makes any
difference in outcomes with GD and that outcomes with insulin treatment are
actually *worse* than for GD that's not controlled, even with diet. Of
course, you have to have *real* GD (meaning you aren't an undiagnosed true
diabetic), but by and large, GD seems not to need any treatment at all.
(Which begs the question: why screen for it in the first place?)
--
Be well, Barbara
(Julian [6], Aurora [4], and Vernon's [17mo] mom)

"Under loves spell" -- Disney Princess shirt slogan