severe reflux-help!

Old April 21st 04, 03:41 PM
Gilbey and Susie

Default severe reflux-help!

i have had some reflux, pretty mild but just the other day i woke with a
scratchy sore throat then i got hoarse, then i got excessive saliva flowing,
in which i have to swallow so much that it causes bad gas pains, and now i
have coughing, and the reflux is getting worse. so bad i can't sleep. so i
called the ob and she said i have hyperacidity and told me to take 1
tagament or other once a day and some maalox or mylanta at night. well after
all day of a bland diet and taking a tagament and maalox max, by bedtime it
was only getting worse, so i took another tagament and maloox. still no
relief. so i called dr back today and she said there isn't really anything
else to try but i could call my regular dr and ask him about it. i'm not
due for 8 more weeks and i can't take this for that long. this isn't just
mild heartburn! nothing helps! anyone else have reflux this severe and is
there anything i can do?
susie

Old April 21st 04, 04:40 PM
Leigh Menconi

"Gilbey and Susie" wrote in message
[...]

Toward the end of my 2nd pregnancy I was taking zantac 75 (otc) twice a day.
It takes a day or two before it really helps because you have to take it
long enough that it prevents acid production. I'm not familiar with tagamet
but it may work the same way. Pepcid AC has both the acid prevention
medication as well as the antacid to deal with what you've already got it
wasn't available that the time while I was pregnant. If you take it just
once a day, take it at night because that seems to be when your major
problem is. Mylanta and maalox only deal with acid that's already there and
as you've learned, they don't do a really good job when it's coming all the
way up your throat. Try sleeping in a recliner or slightly propped up on
pillows (starting at your waist), that helped me somewhat, too. Eating
earlier in the evening helps to get things past your stomach so that they
don't cause so much of a problem while you're sleeping, too. Good luck,
only a few weeks to go!

Leigh

Old April 21st 04, 06:16 PM
John Taylor

Susie i have been going through acid reflux and heartburn going on over 2
years. I finally found out that i have a hiatal hernia and straining (picking
up my son, working in the yard, etc.) was causing most of it and when i stopped
straining (as much as possible) most of it went away and only comes back
occasionally (by the way, i am male but it shouldnt matter :-) Diet doesnt
matter AT ALL in my case (changing it didnt help any) ......
http://www.memoriesmagic.com
Old April 21st 04, 06:53 PM
tigger

My OB/GYN put me on Prevacid around 20 weeks (I'm 32 weeks now) when I
was still having morning sickness. She thought it might help with
that (which it doesn't), but she told me to go ahead and keep taking
it so that I didn't have heartburn. On Monday, I forgot to take it in
the morning and I had the most horible heartburn all day. So I would
ask about getting a prescription for that since my OB/GYN assured me
that it was safe for pregnancy and it makes a huge difference in
reflux/heartburn for me...

-Lesley