Theory on fussy DD

Old December 5th 05, 03:47 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default Theory on fussy DD

First a background...

DD goes in spurts 3 or 4 days of being fussy... then 1 day of sleeping
through the night, and most of the next day.

DD is 7 weeks old and fed EBM.

Anyhow... when she's fussy during those days, she eats every 2 hours at
least 5 ounces... sometimes more, and more often.

Afterwards she seems to have a sugar high... and won't calm down.
Kicking, flailing, throwing her head, fast short breaths, etc. After
about an hour or two of this, she falls asleep. For 5-10 minutes.
We're talking out cold.

She wakes up hungry, sucking her fist, rooting on me or my DW (whoever
picks her up at the time) and she sucks down another 4-5 oz again. And
the cycle continues. Most nights she will extended the feeding times to
every 3-4 hours. But even when she's sleeping she grunts, flails,
wheezes, etc.

I'm starting to see a routine.

Eat... get a sugar buzz... come down, get cranky, fall asleep from
exhaustion. Repeat for 2-3 days. Finally sleep for a night and a day
from all the stress. repeat entire cycle.

Just a theory, but I think I know a sugar buzz when I see one. Or some
may call it... "colic" or "ADHD"... to me, just a diagnosis that means
"we have no idea..." sort of like IBS (which I personally have been
diagnosed with and finally ended up personally experimenting so much and
finding a "cure" on my own... lol!)

When she smiles, it's all worth it, though. If she could walk I'd
put her on a treadmill on high speed.

Signed,
Frustrated daddy...
Old December 5th 05, 03:59 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 21:47:44 -0600, Legbuh
wrote:
"we have no idea..." sort of like IBS (which I personally have been
diagnosed with and finally ended up personally experimenting so much and
finding a "cure" on my own... lol!)

So what did you find to fix it?
Marie
Old December 5th 05, 04:20 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

wrote:

"we have no idea..." sort of like IBS (which I personally have been
diagnosed with and finally ended up personally experimenting so much and
finding a "cure" on my own... lol!)

So what did you find to fix it?
Marie

For me it was taking 1/2 immodium and 1 81mg aspirin a day, and staying
away from major trigger foods like dairy (haven't touched it on purpose
for over 15 years), fruits, sugars (especially HFCS) and too much
insuluable fiber. And drinking beer. (honest).

The immodium helps, and the aspirin helps with inflamation is my guess
(which causes the IBS). The beer helps relax and is also an
anti-inflamatory.

When my DW got pregnant for the 2nd time (1st was a MC... sad) we had
some friends tell us about the "one baby aspirin a day" thing. We did
it. During the first few months I took one every day with her for
"encouragement" (and they taste so good!).

I noticed my IBS was better... when i stopped, it got worse, but I
didn't put two and two together until I read a post on an IBS board
about someone who had their IBS miraculously cured after getting poison
oak or something and taking an anti-inflammatory steroid.

I did some more research then...

Sugars... cause inflamation in the gut
Beer, aspirin - anti-inflamatories

My GI thought it may be SIBO (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth)
after doing a colonoscopy and finding nothing (except a small bit of
inflamation... hmm....) She put me on some super strong antibiotics for
2 weeks. They did nothing.. I didn't even get side affects from them.
But she also mentioned when she wrote the RX for the ABs that she may
also want to try some anti-inflamatory steroids. Hmmm....

2 and 2 and 2 and 2 together, 2 months of trial on the aspirin and
immodium and a 95% improvement... Says something I guess.

Giddyup.
Old December 5th 05, 06:52 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Legbuh wrote:

Just a theory, but I think I know a sugar buzz when I see one. Or some
may call it... "colic" or "ADHD"... to me, just a diagnosis that means
"we have no idea..." sort of like IBS (which I personally have been
diagnosed with and finally ended up personally experimenting so much and
finding a "cure" on my own... lol!)

Could it be that DD is getting too much at a feed? With baby at the
breast they eat until full, but with a bottle the tendency to get more
and much quicker is there.

Jacqueline
Old December 5th 05, 11:59 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Hi --

If dairy is a trigger food for you, it could be a trigger food for your
baby. By this I don't mean EBM, but the non-human milk proteins that
come through into the EBM. Ask your wife to go for a week with
ruthlessly NO dairy in her diet, not even the bits in processed foods,
butter for frying, etc. See if that helps. It might. (Non-human milk
proteins are a common cause of infant distress. Even in breastfed
infants.)

If you try it and it turns out not to be a factor, you haven't lost
much.

Good luck,
--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.
Old December 5th 05, 02:29 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Ive asked that of her for a while, she finally decided to give it a try.
But instead of a BIG glass of milk per meal she has a little one. I
look at her like "that's not what we agreed to try..."

DD and DW... they just aren't vulcan like me... I don't understand
women...

Old December 5th 05, 04:31 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Legbuh wrote:
Ive asked that of her for a while, she finally decided to give it a try.
But instead of a BIG glass of milk per meal she has a little one. I
look at her like "that's not what we agreed to try..."

DD and DW... they just aren't vulcan like me... I don't understand
women...

Well if DW is not a big fan of giving up dairy just yet, have you tried
my suggestion? [Actually did you see it? You replied to the other posts
in this thread but not to mine?]

I had the same problem, and it was because I wasn't allowing DS to
dictate when the feeding should stop. I have never altered my own diet.
The only exception now is caffeine - DS will go back to his old wired
self from feeding after I've had a strong latte.

Jacqueline
Old December 5th 05, 05:23 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Cuddlefish wrote:
Legbuh wrote:

Well if DW is not a big fan of giving up dairy just yet, have you tried
my suggestion? [Actually did you see it? You replied to the other posts
in this thread but not to mine?]

I had the same problem, and it was because I wasn't allowing DS to
dictate when the feeding should stop. I have never altered my own diet.
The only exception now is caffeine - DS will go back to his old wired
self from feeding after I've had a strong latte.

Jacqueline

She's done EBM since week 1. She wouldn't latch well, would fall asleep
"at the wheel", and wouldn't eat. Yes, we've dealt with many LCs...

don't think I haven't suggested it, and if I had boobs I'd try harder..
but last time I suggested it I got the tears a rollin from DW...

I'm 99% sure it's the sugars and either causing a buzz or irritation
(lactose). Today DW thinks DD has a cold.. but no fever, just plugged
up. yes, I know.. she's been like that since day 1... congestion is
just one other sign of dairy issues.

It's easier to get my wife to get off dairy for a week or two than to go
back to BFing.
Old December 5th 05, 06:59 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Legbuh wrote:

It's easier to get my wife to get off dairy for a week or two than to go
back to BFing.

Gosh, I'm not suggesting going back to breastfeeding!!! My DS was on
bottles until about 6 weeks of age. I had a staph infection that made bf
close to impossible.

I'm suggesting feeding her say half to 3/4 of her bottle and then stop.
Pause, burp, chat and then feed the rest to see if she is interested in
more.

Baby's digestion changes with time. Even if you continue to do the same
thing with baby, you will find different outcomes from time to time. :-)

Jacqueline

Old December 5th 05, 07:01 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Legbuh wrote:

I'm 99% sure it's the sugars and either causing a buzz or irritation
(lactose). Today DW thinks DD has a cold.. but no fever, just plugged
up. yes, I know.. she's been like that since day 1... congestion is
just one other sign of dairy issues.

Also, baby's digestion will improve as she starts producing more enzymes
to deal with the lactose more easily. This one takes time. :-)

Jacqueline

The Not-So-Crackpot Autism Theory Ilena Rose Kids Health 31 February 12th 05 01:43 AM
Tendring PCT: Dr. Sarah's baby is fussy - her baby is her priority - that is as it should be Todd Gastaldo Pregnancy 1 January 5th 05 04:24 PM
My theory... L.A.Power Pregnancy 1 December 15th 04 12:39 AM
dairy problems or just a fussy baby? Molly Ging Breastfeeding 1 October 11th 03 01:25 PM