Plugged duct ? could use some reassuarance

Old December 8th 05, 10:53 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default Plugged duct ? could use some reassuarance

delurking
I had my baby on Nov 30th and am B/fing. Its going well so far. Nipple
tenderness has subsided, baby has a correct latch (according to the LC
and the visiting nurse), and feeds every 1.5-2 hrs during the day and
approximately every 3 hrs during the night.
Last night I found a small hard lump in my left breast. Its about 3/4
of the way back from the nipple towards the armpit and about the size
of a small pea (maybe a little smaller). Its not painful. It doesn't
*seem* to increase or decrease in size when the breast gets full - but
I can't be sure.
I've tried massaging the area when baby nurses. The lump is still
there. Probably because I have not given it enough time to clear. I
don't know. I'm really scared at this point. I called my Ob's office
this morning, to ask if this warranted worry- and they just went hyper
and scheduled an appointment immediately for tomorrow afternoon.
I'm terribly pessimistic, and worry that this is something really bad.
I'm 27 years old and the only history of breast cancer (that I know of)
in the family is my maternal aunt (mom's sister) and she was diagnosed
postmenopause at age 65. She did get treatment and is well now.

I'm just scared. FWIW, I felt the other breast and found similar (but
smaller) lumps. If anyone has been through this, I'd really appreciate
any suggestions and support - including questions to ask the doctor
tomorrow.

Thanks.
PK

Old December 9th 05, 12:09 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"PK" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Most lumps aren't anything to worry about - i have had several all of which
were nothing to worry about.

Old December 9th 05, 01:39 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

PK wrote:

I'm just scared. FWIW, I felt the other breast and found similar (but
smaller) lumps. If anyone has been through this, I'd really appreciate
any suggestions and support - including questions to ask the doctor
tomorrow.

Chances are that it's really nothing, and the good news is that
breastfeeding decreases your risk of breast cancer by a bunch, so
you're protecting yourself for the future.

Can you move the lump around under the skin? What I've heard (and I
have no idea if it's true or not, but it might make you feel better) is
if the lump is really hard to move or won't move at all, it's the scary
kind, but if it can be moved around under the skin, it's not the scary
kind. The scary kind are also supposed to be really hard, I think.
Normal lumps are softer.

Now, I don't want you to faint if it's hard and you can't move it
around, but I hope that you can and it makes you feel better. Either
way, you'll probably have a pretty good answer tomorrow. I have
fibrocystic (sp?) breasts, so I feel lumps all the time, and there are
so many of them that I can't tell what's what from one month to the
next. :/

Good luck. Please post an update after your appointment.

Amy

Old December 9th 05, 03:33 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"PK" wrote in message
[...]

if you have a duct that is not unplugging, it might get infected = mastitis,
which is probably the reason your doc went hyper, rather than they think you
have cancer.

the best thing to do is KEEP feeding, and try to massage it out in the
shower with a cloth and hot (not burning) water.

(i am no medico)

good luck for your appt, chances are it is nothing!

chris

Old December 10th 05, 12:14 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Thanks to all for responding.
I saw the doctor today. The doctor poked and prodded around for about
10 minutes - and found nothing wrong. She basically told me that what I
was feeling was quote"normal healthy milk making breast
tissue"unquote. Lots of lumps develop during lactation and she
thought this was one of them. I have a follow up ultrasound in a weeks
time - just to rule out the possibility that she missed the lump I was
talking about altogether - which I think is quite unlikely.It was a
relief to know everything is OK.

Its nice to know i can come here for help anytime I feel panicky.
Thanks a lot.

PK