Morning sickness. Ugh.

Old January 8th 04, 08:28 PM
Donna

Default Morning sickness. Ugh.

I am at the height (or I devoutly hope so, anyway) of my morning sickness
this time around. The problem I'm having is that whenever I have to change
my daughter's diaper, it sends me into unstoppable dry heaves. ten, twenty
in a row, all while I am changing her diaper, and for about five minutes
afterwards. It's just awful. I've been assuming that there really isn't
anything to do other than tough it out for a few more weeks, but just in
case, does anyone here have any suggestions as to how to deal with this?

Donna

Old January 8th 04, 09:55 PM
Vicky Bilaniuk

Donna wrote:

I am at the height (or I devoutly hope so, anyway) of my morning sickness
this time around. The problem I'm having is that whenever I have to change
my daughter's diaper, it sends me into unstoppable dry heaves. ten, twenty
in a row, all while I am changing her diaper, and for about five minutes
afterwards. It's just awful. I've been assuming that there really isn't
anything to do other than tough it out for a few more weeks, but just in
case, does anyone here have any suggestions as to how to deal with this?

Donna

Well, I haven't experienced this, so I don't really know. This is just
a suggestion: Is it *slightly* better if you breathe through your
mouth? You could get one of those swimmers' nose plugs, or something,
and it would take away from it a bit. I know that I personally can't
stand the thought of icky disgusting smells going into my mouth, so I
probably wouldn't be able to do this, but then again I might if it is
just enough to reduce or even stop the dry heaving.

Something else that I know helps me when I'm trying to deal with
disgusting smelly stuff is to have good ventilation. If you have a fan,
you could aim it and turn it on just low enough to keep a constant
breeze going by and giving you fresher air.

Old January 8th 04, 11:19 PM
Sue

For me, keeping something in my stomach all the time helped with the dry
heaves and morning sickness.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old January 9th 04, 01:20 AM
A&G&K

"Donna" wrote in message
I am at the height (or I devoutly hope so, anyway) of my morning sickness
this time around. The problem I'm having is that whenever I have to

change
my daughter's diaper, it sends me into unstoppable dry heaves. ten,

twenty
in a row, all while I am changing her diaper, and for about five minutes
afterwards. It's just awful. I've been assuming that there really isn't
anything to do other than tough it out for a few more weeks, but just in
case, does anyone here have any suggestions as to how to deal with this?

Donna

LOL - I have a similar problem.
FWIW I keep a bucket beside the change table (haven't had to use it yet),
and have sprinkled lavender oil around the area as I find that helps with
the smell. There is also a large window just near the change table and I
always make sure that its wide open.

Not much fun is it?

Amanda

--
DD 15th August 2002
1 tiny angel Nov 2003

Old January 9th 04, 01:53 AM
Susanne Koenig

"Donna" wrote in message
I am at the height (or I devoutly hope so, anyway) of my morning sickness
this time around. The problem I'm having is that whenever I have to

change
my daughter's diaper, it sends me into unstoppable dry heaves. ten,

twenty
in a row, all while I am changing her diaper, and for about five minutes
afterwards. It's just awful. I've been assuming that there really isn't
anything to do other than tough it out for a few more weeks, but just in
case, does anyone here have any suggestions as to how to deal with this?

Donna

Donna, I was throwing up five times a day with my daughter until I started
taking ginger capsules. We used to down them when I worked as in a dive
shop for seasickness, and they were the ONLY thing that ever worked for me.
Can't hurt to try them... They are about $9 a bottle, but there is a
hundred, and taking 2 in the morning usually lasted me til the afternoon.
With this baby, I found out early, so I started in the first month and
though I'd get a wee queasy occasionally, I never got sick.

Sk

Old January 9th 04, 03:35 PM
Donna

"Vicky Bilaniuk" wrote in message
Donna wrote:

[...]

I'm not sure that will help, because right now I have my turtleneck pulled
up over my nose and mouth, and I'm breating through my teeth. But I can
definitely give the swimmer's plugs a try - I haven't got anything to lose,
after all. I really like your idea about the fan. I've put one in the
room, and will give it a shot.

Thanks so much for the advice.

Donna

Old January 9th 04, 03:35 PM
Donna

"Sue" wrote in message
For me, keeping something in my stomach all the time helped with the dry
heaves and morning sickness.

Ok, I'll try that.

Thanks.

Donna

Old January 9th 04, 03:37 PM
Donna

"A&G&K" wrote in message

"Donna" wrote in message
I am at the height (or I devoutly hope so, anyway) of my morning

sickness
this time around. The problem I'm having is that whenever I have to

change
my daughter's diaper, it sends me into unstoppable dry heaves. ten,

twenty
in a row, all while I am changing her diaper, and for about five minutes
afterwards. It's just awful. I've been assuming that there really

isn't
anything to do other than tough it out for a few more weeks, but just in
case, does anyone here have any suggestions as to how to deal with this?

Donna

LOL - I have a similar problem.

Oh, you poor thing.

FWIW I keep a bucket beside the change table (haven't had to use it yet),
and have sprinkled lavender oil around the area as I find that helps with
the smell. There is also a large window just near the change table and I
always make sure that its wide open.

Ok, I'll try that. I hadn't thought of using lavender oil. I have some
that I use when I iron, so I'll give that a try.

Not much fun is it?

It's horrible. And kind of funny, when I'm not actively heaving. I
suspect that in a few weeks, when this is nothing more than a memory, it
will begin to be a really funny story to tell.

Donna

Old January 9th 04, 03:39 PM
Donna

"Susanne Koenig" wrote in message

"Donna" wrote in message
[...]

Ok, thanks. I'll pick some up next time I'm at the store. I hadn't thought
of that. With my last pregnancy, ginger tea, sliced ginger, anything like
that was really helpful for my nausea. This time around I don't have much
nausea, just the dry heaves out of nowhere, so I hadn't considered using
ginger.

Thanks, everyone, for your help. I know it's just a silly problem that will
resolve it self in a few weeks, at the most, but it's really annoying me. I
appreciate the assistance.

Donna

Old January 9th 04, 05:23 PM
Jill

I am not sure if this will help with heaves coming from smelling diapers or
seeing diaper sights, but have you tried taking 50mg Vitamin B6 2-3 times
per day? My OB recommended this and it seemed to help me more than anything
at the height of my ms, BUT, I can't say that it would stop you from heaving
at a smell or offending food or sight etc. (Ask your doctor if B6 is ok for
you if you think it's worth a try).

Also have you tried wearing one of those masks that people with allergies
wear while they are mowing the lawn? The cheap white masks that cover mouth
and nose and have a rubber band holding them on?

That and maybe trying to keep a small amount of food on your stomach at all
times and sipping a carbonated drink (Coke worked for me).

My ms was sooooo bad and it didn't matter what I did for 5 months. I can't
*imagine* having to change diapers through it. I would get sick just hearing
my cat scratching in her litter box, without even smelling anything! B6
helped in general. Zofran helped a little bit. Sometimes nothing hepled.

Self-hypnosis for morning sickness? V Pregnancy 1 January 2nd 04 11:06 PM
Morning sickness = depression Jill Pregnancy 32 December 16th 03 09:02 PM
Morning Sickness Defender Pregnancy 9 December 3rd 03 03:57 PM
morning sickness question alissa Pregnancy 7 November 1st 03 01:06 PM
Morning sickness relief Ilse Witch Pregnancy 3 October 6th 03 09:48 PM