blacking out

Old May 22nd 04, 12:52 AM

Default blacking out

Hi, I'm 23 weeks pregnant and the last several weeks I've had bouts of
feeling very faint and twice I've almost blacked out. My doctor said
its nothing to worry about, if I feel faint to sit down or if its
really bad to lie on my left side. He also suggested carrying some
gatorade with me (sugar and electrolytes help). I can never tell when
its going to happen -

anyway, anyone else have this experience? advice?

thanks -
Old May 22nd 04, 02:23 AM
ModernMiko

wrote in message
om...
Hi, I'm 23 weeks pregnant and the last several weeks I've had bouts of
feeling very faint and twice I've almost blacked out. My doctor said
its nothing to worry about, if I feel faint to sit down or if its
really bad to lie on my left side. He also suggested carrying some
gatorade with me (sugar and electrolytes help). I can never tell when
its going to happen -

anyway, anyone else have this experience? advice?

thanks -

I did this once when I was pregnant with DS. I was walking into the front
door at work. Next thing I know I am laying on the floor looking up at the
person walking in with me. Thankfully, I: 1) Worked in a doctor's office
with a few nurses present and 2) Worked right upstairs from my OB. One of my
co-workers took my blood pressure and it was something really low like
80/52. I went down to the OB, they had me lay down for a while and gave me
juice. I was fine and did not have another episode. I was about halfway
through my pregnancy if I remember correctly. I've been a little woozy a
couple of times with this beeber but I am only just now at 12 weeks. HTH.

--
JennL
DS 06/26/98

aka CatnipSlayer @ livin-it-up.net
--
Leader of the Cult of Worshippers of BiPolar Long-Haired Sexy Anime Guys
with Swords

Old May 22nd 04, 03:00 AM
Shelly

wrote in message
om...
Hi, I'm 23 weeks pregnant and the last several weeks I've had bouts of
feeling very faint and twice I've almost blacked out. My doctor said
its nothing to worry about, if I feel faint to sit down or if its
really bad to lie on my left side. He also suggested carrying some
gatorade with me (sugar and electrolytes help). I can never tell when
its going to happen -

anyway, anyone else have this experience? advice?

thanks -

Yes, it happened to me several times during the second and third trimesters.
Two things helped: First, eating something high in protein right away when I
woke up, then making sure to have high protein snacks or meals every 3-4
hours throughout the day. This helps prevent a blood sugar drop that will
make you feel faint. Second, staying well hydrated also helps.

-Michelle
Mom to Owen 3/17/04

Old May 22nd 04, 03:33 AM
Unadulterated Me

wrote:

anyway, anyone else have this experience? advice?

thanks -

Low blood pressure can make you see black and feel faint.

Andrea
Old May 22nd 04, 01:00 PM
Sophie

wrote in message
om...
Hi, I'm 23 weeks pregnant and the last several weeks I've had bouts of
feeling very faint and twice I've almost blacked out. My doctor said
its nothing to worry about, if I feel faint to sit down or if its
really bad to lie on my left side. He also suggested carrying some
gatorade with me (sugar and electrolytes help). I can never tell when
its going to happen -

anyway, anyone else have this experience? advice?

thanks -

I keep sugary candy with me like Sweet Tarts or Starbursts. I've felt
light-headed a lot during this pregnancy, and much more so now it's 85 +
degrees everyday.

Sophie
#4 due July 7, 2004

Old May 22nd 04, 10:34 PM
Carlye

anyway, anyone else have this experience? advice?

I am 22 weeks pregnant and this has happened to me off and on since
about the 14th week. Every time, if I take my blood pressure
afterwards, it is incredibly low (twice too low to even read!) . My
old doc acted like it was tremendously unusual for blacking
out/fainting spells to occur, much less only begin to occur, in the
2nd trimester, so he ran a whole series of tests for anemia, diabetes,
and even some neurological tests to make sure I was fine, and of
course -- I was.

I find that, like others said, snacks (especially those high in
protein) help, but I found just sitting down and drinking a liter or
so of water worked best. Also, the worst stretch I had with this was
last month when my dad had an emergency triple bypass -- if you've
been under extra stress lately, too, I wouldn't be surprised if that
has aggravated it.

-Carlye
EDD 9/26/04
Old May 26th 04, 03:57 PM
Ilse Witch

On Fri, 21 May 2004 16:52:36 -0700, don_tspamme wrote:

anyway, anyone else have this experience? advice?

Get your iron levels tested, it could be you're anemic. If that's not the
case, I think your doctor is right and it may be the bloodsugar swings
that cause it. It's not uncommon, and usually harmless.

--
-- I
mommy to DS (July '02)