Pregnant? Experiences, please...

Old May 23rd 04, 04:14 AM
CY

Default Pregnant? Experiences, please...

I am just looking for anecdotal stories here, so I can feel like I am not
alone, so I hope you ladies can help!!

My cycles are pretty regular. The longest cycle I can ever remember was 31
days. Most often I am a very regular 28 dayer, and in the last few months I
have had a couple of 26 day cycles, so in general my cycles are shorter
rather than longer.

Here I am on day 34, will be day 35 in a few hours and I have done 5 home
pregnancy tests, all negative. AF is NOWHERE in sight, I have no PMS
symptoms, but I also don't feel pregnant. I am not under any stress (no
more than normal) and use a diaphragm for BC.

DH and I last had protected sex around day 14/15 of my cycle and we are not
TTC, though plan to in a few months.

I went to my OB and had a blood test which they said they would have the
results for me on Friday but they didn't call, so here I am just
wondering...

Here are my thoughts:

a) I am not pg and my period has just decided to go on vacation this month.
If this is the case what on earth would cause me to not have a period - I
haven't even had the slightest spotting??

b) I am pregnant and my hormone levels are so low that the pg won't last and
is destined to end

c) I am more than a couple of months pg but have been having "periods", and
so the urine tests won't work because your body stops producing hcG after a
while (not sure when). I have heard of people being pg but continuing to
have periods - not sure if this is true but figured if anyone knows, you do!

d) I am pg and the home tests just aren't working for some reason

So has anyone else been in this situation, and if so, how did you resolve
it? I expect my dr. will call me on Monday with the blood results but in
the meantime I am pondering this. I just want to know!

TIA if you got this far!

CY

Old May 23rd 04, 05:46 AM
Leslie

I've had occasional crazy cycles that went 50 days, due to increased nursing, I
suppose. I took pg tests as well, even though I knew in my heart I wasn't
pregnant. My guess is that you are not either, just having delayed ovulation
for whatever reason.

IMO, your period is NEVER late; what is late is ovulation. If you know your
fertility signs, and how long your luteal phase is, then you will always know
what's going on. Those long cycles I had were either anovulatory or had very
late ovulations; since I had not experienced ovulation signs I knew I couldn't
be pregnant but got paranoid anyway and just had to be sure!

So my question for you is, did you experience typical signs of ovulation, and
if so, when? And how long is your usual luteal phase, or do you know?

Leslie
Old May 23rd 04, 06:16 AM
CY

Hmm, well I have not been nursing any more than usual. I am not currently
charting, but I did have some signs of ovulation (I always get pain during
ovulation. I also had a pap smear around the same time, and when my OB did
the check of my right ovary I yelped in pain. She said that it was probably
the side I ovulated from). I also had ew mucus (sorry if TMI) during that
same time of the sex. I don't know how long my luteal phase is, no idea
actually because I only charted for one month when ttc #1 and we got it
first try!

Does this help any??
Thanks for responding,
CY

Old May 23rd 04, 06:37 AM
Leslie

Hmmm . . . is that the usual time of the month that you ovulate? The luteal
phase is usually the same length every month; mine, for example, is ten days
long. So if I know when I ovulate, I know when my period will start. If you
normally ovulate on day 15, and always get your period by day 30, for example,
that would mean you have a 15 day luteal phase, and pregnancy would seem to be
indicated. But I'm no expert. :-)

Well, one way or another, you'll know something soon! Hope it's the news you
want.

Leslie
Old May 23rd 04, 07:24 AM
CY

Yes, everything about it was normal regarding ovulation, the timing and
everything. I would say I normally ovulate on day 12,13 or 14 and get my
period on day 26, 27, or 28, so that gives me a 14 day luteal phase. Does
that sound about right?

The odd thing is I don't know what news I want. I'd be happy either way I
guess - I just wanted to lose weight and time BD'ing for a boy as much as I
could, but if it's already happened, nothing I can do! Those were just the
"ideal" circumstances for me getting pg again. So if I AM pg, why the
negative pg tests? I got an instant postive with DD. That's the thing that
confuses me most. I guess I just have to wait till Monday ( I HATE not
knowing - I am one of those people that has to find out the sex of my baby,
I just have zero patience!!

Thanks for your response, I appreciate it.

CY

Old May 23rd 04, 10:14 AM
Andrea

"Leslie" wrote in message
Hmmm . . . is that the usual time of the month that you ovulate? The

luteal
phase is usually the same length every month; mine, for example, is ten

days
long. So if I know when I ovulate, I know when my period will start.

If
you
normally ovulate on day 15, and always get your period by day 30, for

example,
that would mean you have a 15 day luteal phase, and pregnancy would seem

to be
indicated. But I'm no expert. :-)

Well, one way or another, you'll know something soon! Hope it's the

news
you
want.

Leslie

I got negative tests for 3 weeks after my period was due (I was 28 day spot
on never missed), when I was pregnant with #3. The test eventually turned
positive, and the pregnancy dated right back to when my period was due, no
docs had any answers apart from some pregnancies take longer to show than
others due to differing levels of HCG.
My friend who is overweight was on the pill. She felt weird and did tests
that showed neg, but she went to the docs who could feel she was pregnant.
They sent her for a scan and she was 7 months gone with a little boy!

Andrea mom of 5.

Old May 23rd 04, 03:00 PM
Vicki S

"CY" wrote:
c) ... the urine tests won't work because your body stops producing hcG after a
while (not sure when).

Based on a conversation I recently had with my father, who is a family
doctor, I do not believe this is true. The levels do stop *rising* at
some point, and I do not know when that is, but according to my
father, the levels do not drop unless the pregnancy ends due to fetal
demise (or birth, I'm sure, but Dad and I were talking about a case of
fetal demise).

By the way, Dad and I were talking about a case where the ultrasound
seemed to show that there WAS fetal demise, and the ultrasound was
wrong. The results were tragic. So we have another case of how
ultrasound isn't always accurate and we have a pointer to ask for a
couple of consecutive hcG tests if an ultrasound says your fetus has
died. If your hcG levels don't drop precipitously, your fetus is
alive (perhaps in very serious trouble, but alive).

d) I am pg and the home tests just aren't working for some reason

VERY possible. It took a long time before I got a positive urine test
when I was pregnant with my oldest. He's 4.5 now, and I'm not sure
anymore how long it took, but I didn't know I was pregnant till I was
about 4 weeks gone and took a blood test.

I expect my dr. will call me on Monday with the blood results

And if they don't call you by 60 or 45 minutes before they close, call
them yourself! I really had to get on my doctor to find out I was
pregnant with my daughter. They just didn't call, and didn't call,
and didn't call... It took forever! (Ok, it took from Thursday till
I called them on Tuesday, but it felt like a VERY long time.

--
-- Vicki
Married DH May 21, 1995. Ima shel Sullen, born 11/16/99;
Old May 24th 04, 01:46 AM
Elly

"CY" ha scritto nel messaggio
what on earth would cause me to not have a period

Stress, losing a lot of weight.... I once went almost a month without a
period though my cycles were always regular. The ob/gyn said it was from
losing cca 10 kg during that autumn and winter (started dieting in
September, the period was late January). I was given Dabrostone (spelling?)
pills and the period came back afterwards and the cycles were regular again.

Elly
DD Erin - Oct 12th, 2003.

Old May 24th 04, 02:49 AM
CY

Neither of those apply to me - I *wish* I'd lost 10 kg but have lost only a
lb which was probably water anyway in the last week. I had a little bit of
stress in the last week, but I thought stress affected your ovulation not
the period itself (and I am pretty sure I ovulated on time). I am still
wierded out by this whole thing...

Old May 24th 04, 03:34 AM
Leslie

Well, if you ovulated at the usual time, I don't see how you COULDN'T be
pregnant. But I'm not a doctor and maybe there are other reasons for an
extra-long luteal phas besides pregnancy? It has to be hard waiting to find
out what's going on, though! I'm sure you'll post an update tomorrow as soon
as you get your blood test results, right?

Leslie