Rant: Early solid feeding

Old November 4th 03, 03:29 AM
Dawn Lawson

Default Rant: Early solid feeding

Vicki S wrote:

"Chotii" wrote:

Moo-boy would probably eat a clod of dirt if you handed it to him. Or a
dried slug, like my oldest brother (and he was 18 months at the time!) A
willingness to grab anything and put it in the mouth is hardly proof that
baby is ready for solids!

Don't get me started. DD still eats dirt at playgrounds (did it TWICE
yesterday, the little wacko), and once (this was months ago, thank god)
chased down a bug and ate the thing, yes alive, before my husband could
get to her, even though he was running and shouting all the way! And
she'll be officially 18 months old on the 19th of this month. She's
such a little nutso.

Meh.
Bugs aren't THAT often toxic. ;-)
Over cleanliness is linked to asthma and allergies by some researchers.
Just getting a head start on that peck of dirt we're all to eat before
expiring, according to tradition/lore/whatever it is.

Dawn, with plenty of wonderful dirt experiences with sprog (and without,
come to that)
(tho I expect my dirt is less "dirty" than playground dirt...I expect
the bugs are similiar everywhere)

Old November 4th 03, 08:54 AM

"Anne Rogers" wrote in message

Oh everyone outwith our garden wall has asked if ds is on solids yet

(he's
21 weeks minus 6). Both DP and me think it's a bit mean to cram food

down
the gullet of a wee person that can't even sit up yet. And I was really
chuffed when DP said the other day "The WHO recommends 6 months don't
they" - I mean I hadn't told him this so he's obviously been researching

the
issue in his own time (that makes me kinda warm n proud). Apparently

the
*average* time of a LLL consultant to exclusively breastfeed is 7

months -
good enough for them, good enough for us!

gosh I didn't know that, it seems everyone I speak to says you must start
solids by 6 months, otherwise the baby will run out of iron and you'll
have difficulty introducing a range of textures. I can see me coming to
blows with my mum over this, just as I can see us coming to blows if
Nathanael decides he wants to carry on breastfeeding when he starts
walking.

Hi Anne

There is a logic in the above argument when it comes to formula fed babies,
as the iron in formula can be very hard for babies to actually ingest, so
large amounts are included in bottles. The iron in breastmilk is very
different and absorbed very well by baby's gut so it's highly unlikely that
a BF baby will have an iron problem. Besides, I'm sure you will make sure he
gets iron rich foods when you do start with the solids.

Were you BF do you know? I don't know how much you've talked to your Mom
about her experience. IME most comments and feedback that new Mums get from
other people is all about the other person's experience and not what they
truly believe the Mum should do. Many, many women of our mother's generation
were told they didn't have enough milk, or that they couldn't BF and many of
them hold much pain about this perceived 'failure' on their part. Perhaps
your Mum has unresolved feelings about your baby hood?

My family keep shaking their heads and muttering about being

unconventional
and hippy - organic gardener, organic foodie, homebirth wishes, no

drugs,
cloth nappies, exclusive b/f for ages, home education possibility etc

etc.
But we're happy and, in the main, healthy.

Don't worry guys, once they see how happy your kids are when they're a
little older they'll stop nagging. Even my parents aren't batting an eyelid
now about the home education possibility (my baby is now 3!!) because
they've seen my daughter and how calm, relaxed, secure and interesting she
is. That's all the proof of my parenting decisions that anyone needs.

I don't think that makes you hippy. I don't buy organic food, because I've
managed to avoid thinking about whether its a good idea, because I don't
think we could afford it if I did decide it was a good idea.

I buy some organic, as it can be expensive. A good rule of thumb is buy
organic where you eat the fruit or vegetable without taking off the skin. So
it's not worth buying organic apples or bananas as the fruit is quite
protected, buy organic broccolli instead. Don't know if this is true but
it's helped us get some organic food down us!

We wanted a
home birth and are definitely planning one for number 2, we've also gone
with cloth nappies (I decided when I was a teenager that if I ever had
kids I would do this, as it's turned out, Nathanael is one of those babies
that gets nappy rash with disposables, he's more bothered by those icky
chemicals tham being wet).

Sorry to hear you didn't get a home birth with your first. Talked out of it
by the NHS by any chance? They tried that with me but I insisted. Then they
cancelled my homebirth *when I was in labour* because of the petrol crisis.
I phoned an independent midwife and had one anyway.

Apparently hippy is a way of mind not a way of
dressing, but I've not yet figured out what way of mind that is! What you
describe is all about wanting the best for your baby, your family and for
the environment and you deserve a pat on the back for that.

Are you guys doing any spiritual development work or courses at all? Because
that's what really turns you into a full fledged hippy :-)

*pat on the back*

I love the idea of home educating, but I'll admit now I just don't have
the right personality and skill profile.

Ha! That's just what I'm thinking but I'm finding out it's not true. Check
out:

www.muddlepuddle.co.uk
http://www.home-education.org.uk
http://www.education-otherwise.org
http://www.choiceineducation.org.uk

Nikki

Old November 4th 03, 09:04 AM
KC

"Chotii" wrote in message . ..

'Fine, have a baby whos intolterant to everything becuase you wanted
to stuff his cute little face full of biccy' oh how I ranted!

Well, I don't think I'd go quite *this* far...probably millions of babies
have had solids early and not wound up intolerant to anything, much less
everything.

My 2 both started at 4 months, and both have had no intolerances. I
really cannot imagine having waited to 6 months to feed my second. My
dh and I were just today talking about how we could not imagine having
waited for 6 months she was so after us about anything we were
putting in our mouths. IMHO you shouldn't wait for an age if your
baby clearly wants food.

KC -
buy or rent Whittlestone Breast Expressers at
http://www.alittlestore.com
Old November 4th 03, 09:37 AM
Anne Rogers

There is a logic in the above argument when it comes to formula fed babies,
as the iron in formula can be very hard for babies to actually ingest, so
large amounts are included in bottles. The iron in breastmilk is very
different and absorbed very well by baby's gut so it's highly unlikely that
a BF baby will have an iron problem. Besides, I'm sure you will make sure he
gets iron rich foods when you do start with the solids.

I knew that, and that's what I said to here, she agreed that it seemed
logical.

Were you BF do you know? I don't know how much you've talked to your Mom
about her experience. IME most comments and feedback that new Mums get from
other people is all about the other person's experience and not what they
truly believe the Mum should do. Many, many women of our mother's generation
were told they didn't have enough milk, or that they couldn't BF and many of
them hold much pain about this perceived 'failure' on their part. Perhaps
your Mum has unresolved feelings about your baby hood?

She breastfed me for 11.5 months, I gave up of my own accord. She is very
pro breastfeeding, but as she's not doing it right now, she only knows
what she reads in the press, or what she was told back then (24 years ago)
when it was very rare where we lived for mothers to breastfeed beyond
about 6 weeks. Luckily she was never encouraged to stop breastfeeding, but
she was given a lot of false information, for instance she is convinced
that babies get no nutrition from breastmilk after the age of 1.

Sorry to hear you didn't get a home birth with your first. Talked out of it
by the NHS by any chance? They tried that with me but I insisted. Then they
cancelled my homebirth *when I was in labour* because of the petrol crisis.
I phoned an independent midwife and had one anyway.

no, I'd been in intensive pre labour for 4 days, then I started loosing
fluid from somewhere (the midwife could see it draining, but my membranes
were intact), so I ended up going in to be induced, which thankfully went
well, but definitely made me want to try for a homebirth next time. I was
really lucky with my midwife, exceedingly pro home births.

Old November 4th 03, 12:07 PM
Bruce and Jeanne

Dawn Lawson wrote:

Meh.
Bugs aren't THAT often toxic. ;-)

Not only are they not toxic, in some countries they're a delicacy. I
remember eating a spicy dish of fried bees. Don't know if or how they
were washed before being sauteed.

Jeanne

Old November 4th 03, 01:31 PM
Vicki S

Dawn Lawson wrote:
Meh.
Bugs aren't THAT often toxic. ;-)

Bruce and Jeanne replied:
Not only are they not toxic, in some countries they're a delicacy.

oh, it isn't the fear of poisoning, not at all. i know different foods
for different countries and all that. and i've seen chocolate covered
bugs for sale locally. it's the *sQUIcK factor. the twist my spine
away from itself try to leave the room through the ceiling ugh i'm an
american we don't eat spiders here freakout wanna vomitness of it.
guess i'm just too provincial.

--
-- Vicki
Married DH May 21, 1995
Old November 4th 03, 02:41 PM
iphigenia

KC wrote:
IMHO you shouldn't wait for an age if your
baby clearly wants food.

Your logic, therefore, is that if a baby really wants something, then the
baby is ready for it?
Hm, all that time I spend keeping DS from plugging and unplugging cords
into/from electrical outlets is wasted, then, he must be ready to play with
electricity.

--
iphigenia
www.tristyn.net

Old November 4th 03, 03:07 PM
Dawn Lawson

Vicki S wrote:
Dawn Lawson wrote:

Meh.
Bugs aren't THAT often toxic. ;-)

Bruce and Jeanne replied:

Not only are they not toxic, in some countries they're a delicacy.

oh, it isn't the fear of poisoning, not at all. i know different foods
for different countries and all that. and i've seen chocolate covered
bugs for sale locally. it's the *sQUIcK factor. the twist my spine
away from itself try to leave the room through the ceiling ugh i'm an
american we don't eat spiders here freakout wanna vomitness of it.
guess i'm just too provincial.

*g*
Don't look.

Dawn