Alena's 6 months update (With a Hale's look up request) (X-posted)

Old January 5th 04, 11:08 PM
AlenasMom

Default Alena's 6 months update (With a Hale's look up request) (X-posted)

Well, the little monkey isn't so little anymore! She's 18lbs now!!! It's so
hard to believe that half a year ago she was only 5 lbs and could fit into
my forearm! Now she's taller than most of my torso! She's so long that she
wears 12 mos. clothing just because of length!!!
She's still teething but hasn't cut any teeth, and still nursing like a
pro. We sporadically feed her twice a day, mostly she juts gets a nibble
with her pill. I'm thinking of slipping the pill in while she's nursing so
we can cut back on how much solids she's getting as she's getting
constipated from it.
Right now she's battling a rough cold, but we're dealing with that as
homeopathically as we can.
I started my birth control tonight (Tricyclene pills... to help with the
acne I've been getting as well.) Are these safe? My doctor said that they
are, and so did the pharmasist, but they've been wrong before. I really
should get a copy of Hale's for myself.
I just can't believe I've been a mommy for half a year. The time's gone by
so fast!
Tomorrow I start my mommy's group, and hopefully everything there will go
really well. I'm nervous as I'm going to be the youngest there, but the
coordinater said that she thinks with my brains I'll fit in nicely. I
really hope she's right.
I'll let you all know how that goes tomorrow! I'm excited to meet new moms
though. I really am.

--
Lina
Alena born July 1st, 2003

Old January 5th 04, 11:21 PM
Marc

snip
Well, the little monkey isn't so little anymore! She's 18lbs now!!! It's

so
hard to believe that half a year ago she was only 5 lbs and could fit into
my forearm! Now she's taller than most of my torso! She's so long that she
wears 12 mos. clothing just because of length!!!

Cong ratulations - it is amazinf the way they grow. I was telling DD8 the
other day that she was the length of my forearm - and now she just fits
under my arm.

Right now she's battling a rough cold, but we're dealing with that as
homeopathically as we can.

{{{}}} poor love.

Tomorrow I start my mommy's group, and hopefully everything there will go
really well. I'm nervous as I'm going to be the youngest there, but the
coordinater said that she thinks with my brains I'll fit in nicely. I
really hope she's right.
I'll let you all know how that goes tomorrow! I'm excited to meet new moms
though. I really am.

Hope it goes really really well.

Marc

Old January 5th 04, 11:34 PM
Dawn Lawson

AlenasMom wrote:

She's still teething but hasn't cut any teeth

I am always curious what this means?? What does teething MEAN if not
that they are cutting a tooth/teeth?
Do you mean drooling a lot and biting on things? (Does that mean teething?)

Dawn, who sees this said a lot and never sure what to make of it.

Old January 5th 04, 11:38 PM
AlenasMom

"Dawn Lawson" wrote in message

AlenasMom wrote:

She's still teething but hasn't cut any teeth

I am always curious what this means?? What does teething MEAN if not
that they are cutting a tooth/teeth?
Do you mean drooling a lot and biting on things? (Does that mean

teething?)

Dawn, who sees this said a lot and never sure what to make of it.

For me it means that I can see the tip of her tooth just under the gum line
but it's not broken free yet. She's always chewing on things and cries from
pain (She ends up trying to rip her gums out when it gets bad... which is
sad, but really cute... she grabs her gums and pulls on them which has to
just make it worse) and drools all the time.

Old January 6th 04, 12:11 AM
Naomi Pardue

I started my birth control tonight (Tricyclene pills... to help with the
acne I've been getting as well.) Are these safe? My doctor said that they
are, and so did the pharmasist, but they've been wrong before.

All combination bc pills are 'safe' in that the hormones will not harm the
baby. All are problematic in that the hormones (the estrogen, specifically)
can, and usually does, affect the milk supply. After 6 months, your supply
should be well established, so your body may be able to adjust to the hormones,
or, if Alena is eating some solids anyway, she may just increase her solids
intake to make up for the reduction in milk. But if you find that your supply
is badly affected, you may need to make a decision to stop the pills or to
supplement.(Because, even with solids, she still needs a lot of milk in her
diet at this age.)

Naomi
CAPPA Certified Lactation Educator

reply.)
Old January 6th 04, 12:24 AM
AlenasMom

"Naomi Pardue" wrote in message
[...]

(either remove spamblock or change address to to

e-mail
reply.)

Thanks! I'd stop the pills before I supplement! Thanks

Old January 6th 04, 02:22 AM
AlenasMom

[...]

Would herbal supplements and oatmeal and things like that help with the
supply issue? I've got a lot of milk right now, so I'm not too worried, but
just in case, would oatmeal for breakfast help for the next little while?

Old January 6th 04, 03:24 AM
Dawn Lawson

toto wrote:
On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 23:34:03 GMT, Dawn Lawson
wrote:

AlenasMom wrote:

She's still teething but hasn't cut any teeth

I am always curious what this means?? What does teething MEAN if not
that they are cutting a tooth/teeth?
Do you mean drooling a lot and biting on things? (Does that mean teething?)

Dawn, who sees this said a lot and never sure what to make of it.

It means the teeth are moving, but haven't come through yet.

While I concur that, as in Alena's case, if you can see the tooth, you'd
know that is what was going on, how would you otherwise know that the
teeth were moving? Or does one simply assume that drooling and
fussiness are the accepted signs of teething and therefore even in the
absence of signs of teeth, those indicators are referred to as
"teething" even if the teeth do not appear in any way for many more
months? I don't know that I buy the "teething" explaination for early
drooling and mouthing of objects.

Dawn

Old January 6th 04, 03:26 AM
Naomi Pardue

Would herbal supplements and oatmeal and things like that help with the
supply issue?

I've got a lot of milk right now, so I'm not too worried, but
just in case, would oatmeal for breakfast help for the next little while?

It's really hard to say. Like I said, once the milk supply is well
established, some women find that bc pills don't make a big dent in their
supply, while other women find that they cause big problems. So it would be
equally hard to know if things like herbs or oatmeal would make a difference.

In general, combination pills are not advisible at all while bfing. If you
have a good reason to use them, just be aware of the problems they can cause
and, be ready to stop them if you notice supply problems. (Your supply should
come back once you stop the pills, as long as baby is still nursing often.)

Old January 6th 04, 08:26 AM
Andrea

wrote:

AlenasMom wrote:

[...]

It was the case here. Kam got early drooling and had teeth at 4 months, now
he has 4.
I say go with your instincts, If I hadn't I wouldn't have given Kam any
teething gel/baby paracetamol, and the little guy would have suffered more.

--
Andrea mom of 5 - latest addition Kamron David 7 months still nursing strong
with 4 teeth!

3 months - update Elly Pregnancy 3 January 20th 04 09:21 PM
31+ weeks ob/gyn appt & update (long) Elly Pregnancy 6 August 14th 03 06:15 PM
Solids; 4 months vs 6? Laurie General 9 August 12th 03 07:02 PM