What about circumcision and pain relief for baby

Old December 15th 03, 08:29 PM
CBI

Default What about circumcision and pain relief for baby

"toypup" wrote in message news:tTkDb.358205$Dw6.1172746@attbi_s02...

Actually, I'm told that at my HMO (don't know if it's everywhere or just my
hospital), there was a proposal for the peds to get certified in c*rcs but
the peds all refused because they considered it to be purely cosmetic.
Hence, only the ob's can do them. Hooray for our reputable peds! I think
at the very least, it gives parents food for thought that an entire peds
department will not do them for a reason. If they wanted, it could still be
done, just not by the peds.

Not to be too much of a wet blanket but.....

I'm sure there were many factors in that decision - not the least of
which being that it is of questionable medical necessity. However, the
fact that the peds are generally not surgically inclined probably had
something to do with it. A bigger reason (and possibly bigger than the
necessity stuff) is that if you are not already on the premises doing
procedures and don't have several lined up to do (which is the case
for most OB's but not peds) then coming to do one is more disruptive
than it is worth. Also - it is not uncommon for the parents to
question whether the circ was done right ("looks funny") and it is
nice to not be the one who did it.

--
00doc
Old December 15th 03, 08:40 PM
toypup

"CBI" wrote in message
om...
"toypup" wrote in message

[...]

The reason I found out what I did was that I was in the nursery when a mom
wanted to know if she could wait on the c*rc question and come back for the
ped to do it. The ped there said it was not an option, only ob's do it (I
was sitting right there), and I asked why a bit later. That's the answer I
was given. There is a ped there all the time to look after all the newborns
just like there is an ob to watch all the births (one there per 24 hour
shift), so I don't see where it would have been a problem for their schedule
(probably why it was proposed). They could easily line up all the newborns
for the peds as they could do for the ob. That they may not be surgically
inclined could factor in, but they did not give me that as a reason. They
reason they gave me was that the pediatricians thought it medically
unnecessary.

Old December 15th 03, 10:02 PM
0tterbot

"Shena Delian O'Brien" wrote in message
toypup wrote:

Not. Didn't do one bit of good for me.

You must have had a doozy. Cranberry juice is best for prevention; if
you've already got a forest down there it sometimes isn't enough.
Studies show that the same properties that get rid of bacteria in the
bladder and urinary tract do the same thing for your teeth, so drink up.

most people don't even need cranberry juice for prevention (thank god, ugh).
plenty of water is good enough, even if you're a bit prone to them. and
wiping the right way & all should keep them away in most people most of the
time.

i found it an odd question, actually, although i can see what barbara is
trying to say. i find it a bit amazing that the uti question is ever brought
up in relation to circumcision whatsoever... it's not as though the vast
majority of people of either sex get them very often at all, never mind baby
boy-people.
kylie

Old December 15th 03, 11:05 PM
Circe

toypup wrote:
Not. Didn't do one bit of good for me.

You must have had a doozy. Cranberry juice is best for prevention; if
you've already got a forest down there it sometimes isn't enough.
Studies show that the same properties that get rid of bacteria in the
bladder and urinary tract do the same thing for your teeth, so drink up.

Me neither. I don't have them any more, but I had a series of persistent
UTIs in my 20s. Cranberry juice didn't do a bit of good. It always took
antibiotics to clear them up. I later determined that vaginal contraceptives
(diaphragm, sponge) cause me to have UTIs.
--
Be well, Barbara
(Julian [6], Aurora [4], and Vernon's [a quarter to 2] mom)

"Custom fabracation" -- Auto body shop sign

Daddy: You're up with the chickens this morning.
Aurora: No, I'm up with my dolls!

Old December 15th 03, 11:11 PM
iphigenia

"Carol Ann" wrote in message news:JdHCb.540211$Fm2.513262@attbi_s04...

You would think so, but NO I will have him circumsized.

So you admit that you're being illogical and have far less respect for
your sons than for your daughters? Just want to be clear on that
point...

tristyn
www.tristyn.net
Old December 15th 03, 11:14 PM
iphigenia

Shena Delian O'Brien wrote:

Because you can just drink cranberry juice and it solves the problem
for everybody.

*snort* Having had *many* UTIs, I can't help but be amused at this sweeping
oversimplification.

Cranberry juice can actually be counterproductive because it's got so much
sugar in it.

--
tristyn
www.tristyn.net

Old December 15th 03, 11:38 PM
Shena Delian O'Brien

iphigenia wrote:

Cranberry juice can actually be counterproductive because it's got so much
sugar in it.

Ocean Spray has some delightful sugar-free cranberry juice cocktails. I
prefer cranberry grape myself.

Lingonberries are also good, as a matter of fact they are more potent in
this instance than cranberries are. You can also take supplements, which
I've found to be helpful when there's no juice on hand.

Old December 16th 03, 02:54 PM
XOR

"iphigenia" wrote in message ...
Shena Delian O'Brien wrote:

Because you can just drink cranberry juice and it solves the problem
for everybody.

*snort* Having had *many* UTIs, I can't help but be amused at this sweeping
oversimplification.

Cranberry juice can actually be counterproductive because it's got so much
sugar in it.

You can buy cranberry juice with no sugar added, and 100% juice (as
opposed to a juice cocktail). I usually dilute it to 50%, and add
about a tablespoon of sugar per 1 quart or so (still more concentrated
than the cocktails, and less sugar).

It's best as a preventative measure, less effective as a cure,
especially if it's gone beyond initial stages.
Old December 16th 03, 08:03 PM
Sidheag McCormack

Sheila writes:

I found 100 % pure cranberry juice everywhere in the UK but have not
been able to find it anywhere in the US except for in overpriced health
food stores.

Err... *where* in the UK did you find 100% cranberry juice, for example?
I've never seen it here, and I've looked quite hard.

Sidheag