What about circumcision and pain relief for baby

Old December 17th 03, 02:47 PM
Shena Delian O'Brien

Default What about circumcision and pain relief for baby

CBI wrote:
I doubt it does and I'm not sure it would be a good thing if it did. Your
mouth is supposed to have some bacteria in it.

It *does*.

http://www.freshlife.com/articles/cranberry.htm

Furthermore, it doesn't get rid of it all. Duh.

Old December 17th 03, 02:48 PM
Shena Delian O'Brien

XOR wrote:

Waaaaay too sweet IMO, and also not 100% cranberry. At least with
unsweetened 100% you can control how much sugar you add (for myself -
very little).

Ocean spray has 100% juice, unsweetened. They do mix with other juices,
but I prefer that, myself, and there is a high content of cranberry.

Old December 17th 03, 06:06 PM
Hillary Israeli

In ,
Chotii wrote:

*Please don't say "circumcision", it's a euphemism, a neat, tidy way of
*saying something that's awful to talk about straight out. Please say "They
*are going to amputate my son's foreskin tomorrow". That's the honest truth.

But why?
I would say "I'm going to have a mastectomy," not "I'm going to have a
breast amputation." I would say "I'm going to have a cholecystectomy," not
"they are going to amputate my gall bladder tomorrow." I don't really get
the difference here.

Old December 17th 03, 06:20 PM
Circe

"Hillary Israeli" wrote in message
In ,
Chotii wrote:

*Please don't say "circumcision", it's a euphemism, a neat, tidy way of
*saying something that's awful to talk about straight out. Please say

"They
*are going to amputate my son's foreskin tomorrow". That's the honest

truth.

But why?
I would say "I'm going to have a mastectomy," not "I'm going to have a
breast amputation." I would say "I'm going to have a cholecystectomy," not
"they are going to amputate my gall bladder tomorrow." I don't really get
the difference here.

Not to agree or disagree, exactly, but the "ectomy" part of the names of
those surgeries *means* to cut off, remove, or amputate. I can't find the
Latin for "foreskin" (the Romans seem to have thought of it as
indistinguishable from the rest of the penis and therefore didn't have a
separate word for it), but the parallel name for circumcision would be
"foreskin-ectomy".
--
Be well, Barbara
(Julian [6], Aurora [4], and Vernon's [a quarter to 2] mom)

"Custom fabracation" -- Auto body shop sign

Daddy: You're up with the chickens this morning.
Aurora: No, I'm up with my dolls!

Old December 17th 03, 09:48 PM
XOR

Shena Delian O'Brien wrote in message news:q1_Db.569844$HS4.4296819@attbi_s01...
XOR wrote:

Waaaaay too sweet IMO, and also not 100% cranberry. At least with
unsweetened 100% you can control how much sugar you add (for myself -
very little).

Ocean spray has 100% juice, unsweetened. They do mix with other juices,
but I prefer that, myself, and there is a high content of cranberry.

Does "no sugar added" = "no fructose syrup" ? I've never seen Ocean
Spray without the syrup.

btw - are cranberries strictly a temperate climate thing? I couldn't
find cranberry juice anywhere in Thailand. And when I asked my Aussie
MD (ob/gyn) friend about it, she said she'd never heard of the
cranberry juice thing for UTIs (nor had she ever had cranberry juice).
Old December 17th 03, 09:52 PM
Shena Delian O'Brien

XOR wrote:

Does "no sugar added" = "no fructose syrup" ? I've never seen Ocean
Spray without the syrup.

From www.oceanspray.com:

"Do your Premium 100% Juice Blends contain added sugar?

We do not add any sugar to these products. The grams of sugar shown on
the label come from naturally occurring sugars present in the fruit
juices used to make the product"

Old December 17th 03, 10:26 PM
0tterbot

"XOR" wrote in message

btw - are cranberries strictly a temperate climate thing? I couldn't
find cranberry juice anywhere in Thailand.

that would make sense.

And when I asked my Aussie
MD (ob/gyn) friend about it, she said she'd never heard of the
cranberry juice thing for UTIs (nor had she ever had cranberry juice).

she should have by now, surely. i'm not a dr & i have. ocean spray entered
the market a couple of years ago. (to an underwhelming response, i gather.)
i'd assume most of my compatriots would find the drinking of cranberry juice
to be an odd pastime. we don't have cranberries, that's just the way it is
:-)
kylie
--
www.rdj.com.au

Old December 17th 03, 11:47 PM
Hillary Israeli

In ,
Dave {Reply Address in.sig} wrote:

*You just have to dress the baby in either blue or pink and there won't be
*questions. Of course, dressing a boy in pink or a girl in blue will result

Sorry, no cookie.

My blue-wearing son was frequently referred to as "she" by well-meaning
strangers, who informed me he was "too pretty to be a boy."

My blue-wearing daughter is often referred to as "she" for the same reason

Old December 18th 03, 12:34 AM
Hillary Israeli

* Chotii wrote:
*
[...]

I guess that would be the combined posthe and acroposthion (those words
are of Greek derivation, but anyway...) making the surgery an
"acroposthion-posthetctomy" or something like that. That's certainly a
mouthful. But my point was just that one will generally speaking use the
common name for a procedure just because it is the common name for the
procedure. I don't go around talking to my clients about doing an
onchyectomy - I talk about "declawing" their cats. I do explain that when
a declaw is done, the distal toes are amputated, but I don't say "so, if
you're still interested despite my recommendation against the procedure,
you can call and schedule your toe amputation at your convenience, Dr B
will do it." I say "if you're still interested...you can call and schedule
a declaw with Dr. B..." YKWIM?