Vacation ideas for 17 month old twins?

Old March 8th 04, 11:27 PM
Barbara Warner

Default Vacation ideas for 17 month old twins?

Hello,
I'm writing to ask for suggestions, for a family vacation in the spring.
I've got two weeks off work in May, and while money is definitely
'tight', I'd like to do something interesting by way of a family
vacation during my time off.
What kinds of vacations did you take when your children/twins were under
2? Did you drive? Fly? Stay home, and play tourist in your own
city/region? Rent a bunch of videos, get take out and veg out at home?

Other factors in our situation: my husband is a stay at home dad, who
needs a break, too, but wants more than anything to have time with "all
his girls" sigh!. We aare willing to borrow or rent a car but don't
want to pakc and unpack the car repeatedly.
We would consider flying, but aren't sure if we would want to spend the
extra money on seats for each girl (and I'm not crazy about trying to
keep them in our laps at this age! Not if we're doing a one-on-one ratio!)
We are unlikely to be able to find family or friends to travel with,
though we could do a road trip to visit some.
Ideas, stories, warnings welcomed!
--Barbara

Old March 9th 04, 12:02 AM
Missy in Indiana

If you live near PA, I highly recommend Sesame Place. It was very clean,
little kid friendly, reasonably priced, and HELLO - Elmo and Big Bird live
there! We drove from Indiana, so if you're willing to do a drive, it's worth
it.

I am also a fan of just staying home and having bkfst in bed, lots of cuddle
time, dinner out, museums, zoo, etc.

No matter what you do, the kids will be happy just to have family time. Plus,
you will be happy to have the memories regardless of where they happen. Enjoy
the time together

Missy in Indiana http://hometown.aol.com/mhrust/overviewforng.html
Morgan Olivia & Julia Lucille 4/28/01 (YAY!)

Old March 9th 04, 03:13 AM
Ducky Lawyer

Missy in Indiana wrote:
If you live near PA, I highly recommend Sesame Place. It was very clean,
little kid friendly, reasonably priced, and HELLO - Elmo and Big Bird live
there! We drove from Indiana, so if you're willing to do a drive, it's worth
it.

Whoops! I meant to add that we're in Toronto, Ontario - so we're in a
big city already with lots of things to do, and within driving distance
of interesting things in Ontario (like wine country and Niagara Falls
though we did the latter in January with my folks), but we're also a
long drive from more exotic destinations like NYC and Philadelphia and
DC (though we do have friends or family near those places).

I am also a fan of just staying home and having bkfst in bed, lots of cuddle
time, dinner out, museums, zoo, etc.

That sounds do-able, though I'm concerned we'll get 'lazy' (we tried
something like this just before I returned to work, and ended up just
hanging about the house. :-( Maybe now that I'm actually back to work,
it will be different.

No matter what you do, the kids will be happy just to have family time. Plus,
you will be happy to have the memories regardless of where they happen. Enjoy
the time together

That's a nice sentiment, thanks for sharing. That will make me feel
better if we don't plan a big trip (possibilities at present are train
trip to Montreal, and/or plane trip to Prince Edward Island)
--Barbara

Old March 9th 04, 03:13 AM
GIHRose

Barbara Warner wrote:

Stay home, and play tourist in your own
city/region? Rent a bunch of videos, get take out and veg out at home?

Barbara,

This would be my strong suggestion! After the year we had last year, I
got the brilliant idea that we needed a family vacation so we packed up
the van with the 3 kids and off to Key WEst we went for 4 days. It was
totally exhausting and an exercise in torturing everyone. In hindsight,
it would have been much more pleasant to play tourist around here and go
home every night. At least Jared was old enough to enjoy some of the
stuff we did in KW (he's on a big pirate kick now and thought the Mel
Fisher museum was ultra-cool.) However, J&T got nothing from it but a
lot of stroller time and boredom from the long drive. If I were you,
I'd save the money and aggravation of going somewhere and have a
vacation at home. It will be a *long* time before we do something like
that again!

Rose
Jared 1.18.00, Jason & Travis 1.16.03