inspiring NIP (or, semi-public) experience

Old October 9th 03, 02:15 AM
Melania

Default inspiring NIP (or, semi-public) experience

Hi all,
I usually just lurk, but I wanted to share a little story with you. DH
and I just moved back to Vancouver after a stint away, and we're in a
totally new neighbourhood. I recently went to a local 0-5 playgroup at
a nearby community centre, and met an athletic-looking woman with very
active 15mo twin boys. She and I were chatting while I was nursing
Joffre, who's 9mo. I stupidly assumed (in my head, I didn't say
anything, of course!) that she wasn't nursing the twins, if she ever
had, because she was wearing a cute little tank top - no bra - and
looked so "fashion model" good in it. I was really surprised when one
of the boys came racing over and she nonchalantly pulled down one side
of her tank top to nurse. I guess I had some wrong-headed notion that
breastfeeding moms are universally restricted to big frumpy nursing
bras and pads, just because I am. I told her I was really impressed to
see her still nursing toddling twins, and that seeing a mom so
confidently nursing her toddler in public reinforced my own commitment
to let Joffre initiate and lead the weaning process - whenever that
may be.

Looking around that gymnasium, I saw moms, dads, and other caregivers
from all walks of life, and about thirty kids between 8 months and 5
years, and most of the moms (some visibly pregnant) were nursing a
baby or toddler. Everyone - child and adult - was comfortable,
welcoming, and accepting, and I knew there would be no questions like
"you're *still* breastfeeding him??" I hope every nursing mom out
there has the chance to be part of such a positive breastfeeding
community!

Melania and Joffre
back in Vancouver
Old October 9th 03, 02:39 AM
Plissken

"Melania" wrote in message
m...
[...]

That's great! I live in Victoria and just about every mom I know here is
breastfeeding their babies and plan on doing it for quite a while. I've NIP
many places and never have I once received a disapproving look from anyone.
In fact no one even seems to care at all including teenage boys (I was
nursing in McDonalds during lunch rush) which really amazes me.

Nadene

Old October 9th 03, 08:53 AM
Herself

It's wonderful that you've found such a good place! At one of the
playgroups we go to, there's only a few women who nurse...one of the
groups has a bf/lactation consultant come to it. She's nice, a little
more crunchy than I thought she would be :-). But she does just sit
there and nurse her 18 month old. P hasn't wanted to nurse there (what?
And stop playing with all these kewl toys?!?!), but I know they wouldn't
look at me too strange if I did.
--
'Tis Herself
Old October 9th 03, 01:40 PM
hobbes

"Melania" wrote in message
m...

Looking around that gymnasium, I saw moms, dads, and other caregivers
from all walks of life, and about thirty kids between 8 months and 5
years, and most of the moms (some visibly pregnant) were nursing a
baby or toddler. Everyone - child and adult - was comfortable,
welcoming, and accepting, and I knew there would be no questions like
"you're *still* breastfeeding him??" I hope every nursing mom out
there has the chance to be part of such a positive breastfeeding
community!

Melania and Joffre
back in Vancouver

That's wonderful. It so beats out my recent playgroup experience where I
overheard two mothers talking about how relieved they were to stop BFing
after 6 months. There are a couple women in the group who BFed for a full
year (I don't know if anyone else has gone beyond that), but they're
practically in the closet. You never hear anyone talk about enjoying BFing.
I shocked a couple women a while ago when I told them DS was still BFing to
go to sleep . . . he was 20 months or so and I was pregnant at the time.

I'm glad you've found such a wonderful, open, welcoming place.

--
Jodi
SAHM to Oliver (2 years, 7 months) & Arwen (5 months)