Midwives, Doulas, and Wal-mart

Old July 31st 03, 06:16 PM
Astromum

Default Midwives, Doulas, and Wal-mart

Henrietta Louise wrote:

She laughs and remembers him from a month ago. She then tells me that
her kids are the same way. It turns out she has had 9 and is pregnant
with her 10th.

/schluck

There's a midwife here in my town! She treats her clients as pregnant
ladies, not some medical case that needs to be prodded and poked and
herded through the exam room. I am so excited!!

Yay! Good for you. There must be some higher order involved here.
Sounds like it was just meant to be! I hope she has a place for
you and it all works out OK.

--
-- Ilse
mom to Olaf (07/15/2002)

Old July 31st 03, 06:20 PM
Circe

Henrietta Louise wrote:
There's a midwife here in my town! She treats her clients as pregnant
ladies, not some medical case that needs to be prodded and poked and
herded through the exam room. I am so excited!!

This is wonderful news, Henrietta. I think you'll really love having a
midwife rather than an OB.
--
Be well, Barbara
(Julian [7/22/97], Aurora [7/19/99], and Vernon's [3/2/02] mom)

"He [Gray Davis] be allowed to serve out his term." -- Letters to the
Editor [probably a typesetter's error, but too funny to pass up]

What does it all mean? I have *no* idea. But it's my life and I like it.

Old July 31st 03, 07:46 PM
Em

"Henrietta Louise" wrote in message
snip
There's a midwife here in my town! She treats her clients as pregnant
ladies, not some medical case that needs to be prodded and poked and
herded through the exam room. I am so excited!!

What a neat moment of cosmic synchronicity! I'm very excited for you. Sounds
great!

--
Em
edd 9/23/03

Old August 2nd 03, 10:47 PM
Katie Jaques

(Henrietta Louise) wrote in message ...
So, I am in Wal-mart last night with my husband and son, trying to
coordinate paying and negotiating my way around the two cartfuls of
merchandise we have. I am in a pretty somber mood related to the doctor
visit I had the day prior. And, of course we have been in the county
seat for 4 hours doing our monthly shopping.

And, my chatty, overfriendly 8-year-old starts talking to the cashier,
and she helps him put together the small, hand-held fan he purchased.

She laughs and remembers him from a month ago. She then tells me that
her kids are the same way. It turns out she has had 9 and is pregnant
with her 10th.

She asks which doctor I am seeing. At this point, my husband laughs and
says, "Do you know any good ones?" She tells me that she has seen "the
overbooked doctor" for some tests in early pregnancy, because her last
pregnancy had some complications.

I said, " I looked in the phonebook for some doulas or midwives. There
are none to be found."

She says casually, "Oh, I'm a doula. But, there is a midwife in insert
the name of my tiny, 1-grocery store, 2-bank town here."

She and I talked for another ten minutes, and I got her telephone
number. I gave my son a huge hug and am forever grateful that he loves
to talk. If it had just been me, I would have politely but quickly paid
for my stuff and left.

There's a midwife here in my town! She treats her clients as pregnant
ladies, not some medical case that needs to be prodded and poked and
herded through the exam room. I am so excited!!

What a great story. I couldn't tell you how many times I have learned
something I would never have known if I had not had a talkative,
questioning child in tow!

My daughter Barbara (Circe) may already have mentioned this, but my
mother's name was Henrietta Louise. Louise is my middle name,
Barbara's middle name, and the middle name of her daughter, Aurora.

Grandma Katie
Mom to Barbara (Circe), Grandma to Julian, Aurora & Vernon